User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:45:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LS6TT] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By djkest:

Zero, but you can sort numerically if you know how to in Excel. It's not too hard to figure out which ones are light especially when a lot of the light parts are highlighted in a different color.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LS6TT:
What's th chance of having the spreadsheet updated to be listed in lightest to heaviest?

Great thread btw

Zero, but you can sort numerically if you know how to in Excel. It's not too hard to figure out which ones are light especially when a lot of the light parts are highlighted in a different color.

iPad so I can't sort and no colors as no excel and I can't access this site at work.

My mistake.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:25:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#2]
DD makes this barrel, .625 gas journal.  They make one like this w/ mid gas too:

Compared to this VDI light barrel also w/ .625 block:

VDI also makes this in middy gas system.

you see the DD barrel tapers down much faster under the handguard.  

The VDI carbine 16" ultra light is supposedly 23.26 oz.  The DD shoudl be lighter but I can't find a claimed weight anywhere for it...

BCM aslso makes some pencil barrels, middy gas systems all.

ETA: This from the OP
16" DD Light Mid, 0.625 21.2 M

Would that be the middy gas system version of the DD barrel pictured?  

And this:
14.5" DD Carb Lightweight 20.5 M
That woudl be the 14.5" version of the DD barrel I pictured?

Here is a pic of the 14.5" version:

This one is measured at 20.5 oz??
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By rightwingnut:

DD makes this barrel, .625 gas journal.  They make one like this w/ mid gas too:

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/d/dd-9082.jpg

Compared to this VDI light barrel also w/ .625 block:

http://www.voodooinnovations.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/7/47.jpg

VDI also makes this in middy gas system.

you see the DD barrel tapers down much faster under the handguard.  

The VDI carbine 16" ultra light is supposedly 23.26 oz.  The DD shoudl be lighter but I can't find a claimed weight anywhere for it...

BCM aslso makes some pencil barrels, middy gas systems all.

ETA: This from the OP

16" DD Light Mid, 0.625 21.2 M

Would that be the middy gas system version of the DD barrel pictured?  

And this:

14.5" DD Carb Lightweight 20.5 M

That woudl be the 14.5" version of the DD barrel I pictured?

Here is a pic of the 14.5" version:

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/d/dd-9083_1.jpg

This one is measured at 20.5 oz??
View Quote
FYI, the midlength 16" now uses a 0.750 gas block if you buy directly from them. I own the same barrel with a 0.625 block on it so it wasn't always like that, they must have just changed it...

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By _Crog:
FYI, the midlength 16" now uses a 0.750 gas block if you buy directly from them. I own the same barrel with a 0.625 block on it so it wasn't always like that, they must have just changed it...    
View Quote

I've been looking for a couple weeks for the .625 16 middy. Can't find one anywhere. Midway pictures the .625 barrel but says it has .750 gas block diameter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:40:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonKey153] [#5]

progress so far

magtac upper and lower
v7 endplate and castle nut and mag catch
otherwise standard lower parts kit
standard bcg

The finish on the lower ended up being more fragile than I expected, and I put a decent gouge in the receiver putting in the bolt catch pin. I had wanted to put a Al forward assist and port door in, but might just leave it alone. I'll probably put a spikes Ti BCG in there at some point if they ever get released.

planned for the front end:
regular old charging handle
Pinned DD 14.5 bbl with manimal FH
v7 Ti gas block
MI 12" SSK
DD 1.5 iron sights

hoping for ~5lbs or maybe a hair under.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeti_AS3] [#6]
Mistake
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes
What's th chance of having the spreadsheet updated to be listed in lightest to heaviest?

Great thread btw

Are  you ever going to update your original posts with what's been added?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Lohe:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lohe:

Great thread btw

he has been adding stuff.  he might work faster for donations.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riddle] [#9]
wish i had an accurate enough scale but even if i did, my barrel is pinned and welded. anyway i have a 14.5" mid length noveske skinny profile barrel which is listed at 22.9 oz with pinned gas block and gas tube

edit:barrel is listed at 20oz

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried to take my lightweight to the next level by getting a Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Sadly, the weights aren't that great for the price. Look at the specs;
14.5” Barrel Weighs 1lb 10.4oz
16” Barrel Weighs 1lb 11.8 oz
18” Barrel Weighs 2lb 4oz (approximately)

Lame. You can get a BCM ultra light weight barrel in the same realm for 1/3 the price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#11]
This is a NW Precision stripped upper I bought.

Mag Tactical w/Forward Assist and Door installed

Anderson blem upper without forward assist or ejection door machining from Copes

No anodizing on a lower I picked up at a small shop

3MR group

Mag Tactical lower

PWS Buffer tube

VLTOR A5 buffer and rifle spring

2 Surefire CR123As

And a door.  I didn't have a rod and spring handy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 2:54:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:
I tried to take my lightweight to the next level by getting a Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Sadly, the weights aren't that great for the price. Look at the specs;
14.5” Barrel Weighs 1lb 10.4oz
16” Barrel Weighs 1lb 11.8 oz
18” Barrel Weighs 2lb 4oz (approximately)

Lame. You can get a BCM ultra light weight barrel in the same realm for 1/3 the price.
View Quote

yeah, those are stiffer than a ultra light barrel tho.  Only worth it for long rang stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:10:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hipower90] [#13]
There's also the J&T Dist light weight 14.5 and 16" barrels(also avail in chrome lined). Great pricing. I have the 14.5", but sadly I failed to weigh it before install. I don't think they offer a middy tho.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/page11.html

http://jtdistributing.net/store/page120.html

Heres a pic of its profile, fwiw.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#14]
SLR Sentry 6 Clamp On .625  --  1.24oz

PWS FSC556  --  2.37oz

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By xtreme762:

I've been looking for a couple weeks for the .625 16 middy. Can't find one anywhere. Midway pictures the .625 barrel but says it has .750 gas block diameter.
View All Quotes

Its not the DD barrel, but I just put this on a build for my wife and it has been great.

Spikes 14.5" LW Barrel
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jclaypool:

Its not the DD barrel, but I just put this on a build for my wife and it has been great.

Spikes 14.5" LW Barrel
View All Quotes

Spikes 14.5" LW Barrel

Wow!  $170 for milspect individual tested barrel.  Good deal. 22 oz.  Add that shit to the OP OP
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Spikes 14.5" LW Barrel
View All Quotes

Spikes 14.5" LW Barrel

Thanks for that. I ended up going ahead, and getting a BCM 16" LW Middy. But that Spikes barrel looks pretty sweet. I'm gonna go buy one right now for another build.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't have a true lightweight rifle, but I just put together a Mag Tactical lower.  It weighs 1lb 13.1oz with the following parts:

Mag Tactical magnesium lower
Vltor 5 position RE
Vltor QD end plate
Standard castle nut
MFT Minimalist stock
K2 grip
SSA-E trigger with Mag Tactical pins
Standard carbine buffer spring
PSA carbine buffer
Standard lower parts from a Stag LPK
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:15:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_DIESEL] [#19]
Does anyone have the weights and pics for an Ace ultra lite stock (AR-UL), their site claims 5 oz, or a BCM gunfighter trip mod1?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:
Does anyone have the weights and pics for an Ace ultra lite stock (AR-UL), their site claims 5 oz, or a BCM gunfighter trip mod1?
Thanks
View Quote

lol

basically, teh 5 oz is for teh butt and the endplate thing.  THen you add on or antoher reciever extention, also very light.

Total weight of the stystem is what, ca 8oz?  OP added it to the buttsock section.  I put lots of pics on page 2 or 3
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I get a lot of IMs containing complaints and or/requests and am not always able to respond. It took a lot of time to put it together initially and I am afraid I have limited time to service this thread. Having a list in the OP and having a spreadsheet both may have been a mistake because I have to add stuff to both lists.

That being said as it is currently I still feel it is a good resource and I appreciate people continuing to post weights in the thread.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I get a lot of IMs containing complaints and or/requests and am not always able to respond. It took a lot of time to put it together initially and I am afraid I have limited time to service this thread. Having a list in the OP and having a spreadsheet both may have been a mistake because I have to add stuff to both lists.

That being said as it is currently I still feel it is a good resource and I appreciate people continuing to post weights in the thread.
View Quote

I appreciate the time you took to do this. If people want to add to it, they can do it themselves. It's not that hard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#23]
New BCM stock factory specs have it at 7.5 ounces.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#24]

lol

basically, teh 5 oz is for teh butt and the endplate thing.  THen you add on or antoher reciever extention, also very light.

Total weight of the stystem is what, ca 8oz?  OP added it to the buttsock section.  I put lots of pics on page 2 or 3
View All Quotes
Thanks

lol

Thanks. I'll probably go with something else.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
New BCM stock factory specs have it at 7.5 ounces.
View Quote

I was looking for the BCM mod 1 pistol grip, but thanks!
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#26]

lol

View All Quotes
Thanks

lol

The ACE system remains an excellent option for a lightweight build. The 8oz includes the buffer tube, and I think the end plate and the end cap, so it's equivalent to about a 4 oz stock. As some have mentioned, you can "grind down" the end of the buffer tube and the whole system comes out to 8.0 oz. And it's not that expensive either.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:45:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DonKey153] [#27]
SLR Sentry 6 Clamp On .625  --  1.24oz

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/505/xeev.jpg

PWS FSC556  --  2.37oz

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/6221/wg4t.jpg
View Quote

nevermind, not what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#28]

I wouldn't really say so.

1) Barrel
2) Buttstock
3) Handguard / tube
---------------
4) Pistol Grip (can save 1-1.5 oz)
5) Gas block if using 0.625" seat

After that it is somewhat academic. Bolt Carrier Group can save you some weight, but there are functionality concerns with changing the weight there, and they come at a cost premium.  Muzzle device can save you some major weight depending on what you are looking at. Most of the V7 Weapons systems parts are saving you 0.2 - 0.3 Oz, that really is minor compared to other stuff, but noteworthy if you are trying to break under 5 lbs.
View All Quotes
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are these the big saver parts more or less in order?
-barrl
-handguard sys
-bolt carrier
-stock butt
- buffer
-muzzle dev
-gas bulk
-end plate
-reciever TD pins
- castle nut

Is that a pretty good priority list?

1) Barrel
2) Buttstock
3) Handguard / tube
---------------

After that it is somewhat academic. Bolt Carrier Group can save you some weight, but there are functionality concerns with changing the weight there, and they come at a cost premium.  Muzzle device can save you some major weight depending on what you are looking at. Most of the V7 Weapons systems parts are saving you 0.2 - 0.3 Oz, that really is minor compared to other stuff, but noteworthy if you are trying to break under 5 lbs.

.625 gas blocks are actually heavier than .750 because they are the same size overall but the hole is smaller, meaning less weight is removed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]

lol

View All Quotes
Thanks

lol

Went back and found all the info, thanks man. And wouldn't you know, the bcm mod 1 grip weight was posted right under your pics. I failed.
Sorry guys for clogging up the thread with questions that were already answered!
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#30]
double tap
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Did you take that off a comlete BCM Enhanced Ligthweigt Upper? I haven't found the barrels for sale anywhere yet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DWood:

Did you take that off a comlete BCM Enhanced Ligthweigt Upper? I haven't found the barrels for sale anywhere yet.
View All Quotes

Yes
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted by DWood
.625 gas blocks are actually heavier than .750 because they are the same size overall but the hole is smaller, meaning less weight is removed.
View Quote

Not all of them.  CMMG's micro gas block and the V7 come to mind as actually being machined for .625 profile rather than just having a smaller bore.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

Not all of them.  CMMG's micro gas block and the V7 come to mind as actually being machined for .625 profile rather than just having a smaller bore.
View All Quotes

From what I can tell the SLR Sentry 6 is machined for .625 also. I can tell you that it is much smaller than any of my .750 gas blocks, and without any extra added beef.

djkest, this thread has inspired me to build two new rifles in the LW category. If it weren't for this thread, I would of had a hellofa time getting the correct parts. So I really appreciate what you've done here.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#35]

View All Quotes

1) Barrel
2) Buttstock
3) Handguard / tube
---------------

Yes, but the difference is negligible if you splurge on a V7 systems titanium 0.625" gas block.

djkest, this thread has inspired me to build two new rifles in the LW category. If it weren't for this thread, I would of had a hellofa time getting the correct parts. So I really appreciate what you've done here.

Thanks for the feedback. The "Under 6" thread was really helpful to me as well. Make sure and post up pics/info when you are done! You might find the calculating tool on the spreadsheet handy.

This thread
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

The slr .625 is lean
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:20:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#38]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
I don't think I ever added production weights on this stuff. Here are some pics of the production parts.

BALIOS-lite production upper and lower

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kHgAa8Zck-c/U2koJA4YUCI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/1xlGGNumRs4/w1050-h700-no/IMG_3459.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XmQ75-jtuMg/U2koJIfbEXI/AAAAAAAAA8c/1jFhOW6Wvo0/w1050-h700-no/IMG_3460.JPG
View Quote

How, and where does one go about purchasing a set of these? What material are they made from?  ----- Never mind, I found your section.

It's May; Are these available yet?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmiro] [#39]
Sorry double tap
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Weighed some stuff at the shop tonite.
Cmc trigger (without pins) flat-2.6
Cmc trigger (without pins) curved-2.7
Rra national match 2-stage (with out pins) 2.4
Hogue grip-2.8 with beaver tail.
Stag mil spec buffer tube-3.92
Diamond head combat sights
Front 1.82
Rear 1.99
Stag comp(not 3g) 2.62
Dd muzzle break 2.51
Crush washer .11

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank you. I bought a rainier arms ruv rev with a 14.5 barrel because its light weight. Makes me wonder how much it really weighs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't think I ever added production weights on this stuff. Here are some pics of the production parts.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kHgAa8Zck-c/U2koJA4YUCI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/1xlGGNumRs4/w1050-h700-no/IMG_3459.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XmQ75-jtuMg/U2koJIfbEXI/AAAAAAAAA8c/1jFhOW6Wvo0/w1050-h700-no/IMG_3460.JPG

View Quote

Okay, 1 oz heaver that stripped mag tac upper and .62 oz heavier than mag tac lower.  resepcts.  Looks very nice. How much?

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:11:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#44]

7075 T6 Plate....  Check our Industry forum for pricing and purchasing.

View All Quotes

How, and where does one go about purchasing a set of these? What material are they made from?  ----- Never mind, I found your section.

It's May; Are these available yet?

7075 T6 Plate....  Check our Industry forum for pricing and purchasing.

what is the name of the company?  Balios?

ETA: found the forum.  Damn that is sexy.  sexy sexy sexy.  i belive it when you say it takes  alot of machine time.

If you make a lite set to take the magpul 6.8 mags, i will buy a set no matter what.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Would this be cheating?

BCM Enhanced LW

I want to build, but I also want the new BCM Enhaced LW barrel. The version of this upper with 13" KMR and Battle Comp 1.5 weighs 2 lb. 10 oz. according to a guy who is selling one. I would go with the 10" KMR and BCM Comp, which may come in the same, or slightly less.

If I were to build, I would only change the upper to an Aero Precision with no FA. The stripped BCM is listed in this thread at 7 oz. so if I remove the FA and use the delrin plug, it would be close to the AP upper.

The only thing I would not be able to get is the Syrac adjustable gas block, which I am considering with a JP LMOS bolt carrier.

I sure would like to know when the BCM Enhanced LW barrels will be available, if ever, for those of us that like to build.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Would this be cheating?

BCM Enhanced LW

I want to build, but I also want the new BCM Enhaced LW barrel. The version of this upper with 13" KMR and Battle Comp 1.5 weighs 2 lb. 10 oz. according to a guy who is selling one. I would go with the 10" KMR and BCM Comp, which may come in the same, or slightly less.

If I were to build, I would only change the upper to an Aero Precision with no FA. The stripped BCM is listed in this thread at 7 oz. so if I remove the FA and use the delrin plug, it would be close to the AP upper.

The only thing I would not be able to get is the Syrac adjustable gas block, which I am considering with a JP LMOS bolt carrier.

I sure would like to know when the BCM Enhanced LW barrels will be available, if ever, for those of us that like to build.
View Quote

I wouldn't call it cheating.

I'm getting the 14.5 in/10in kmr BFH version when it comes out. If my calculations are correct, that rifle will weigh a hair under 6lbs without going crazy on the light weight parts and that includes a t-1 and buis. That's my goal, under six without dropping tons of money and still have a rifle I won't be afraid to use hard.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#48]

I've been a little slow to update lately. But what I can do is list the entire assembly weight and what it comes with.

It is really light, about 8oz.  
Compared to say a lightweight tube, endplate, castle nut, and stock, the lightest you can get on that is about 10.5 oz.

That + mag tactical lower
View All Quotes
Also op, I know the ace UL assembly is sort of hard to list they way you have things listed since it neccesitates their gusset if one uses either rifle or "entry" received extent ion, but could you put the weight of the assembly in there of just the aluminum butt, gusset with sling loop and rifle rec ext?  Perhaps you could just put it in parenthesis at the bottom of the buttstock list?  It is still the lightest is it not?

I've been a little slow to update lately. But what I can do is list the entire assembly weight and what it comes with.

Compared to say a lightweight tube, endplate, castle nut, and stock, the lightest you can get on that is about 10.5 oz.

One criticism, if you can call it that, is the cast Mag Tactical lower can be weak at the RE. The Ace gusset is described as adding strength to the RE connection. I am not sure how that could be, so I would appreciate the input of anyone who has attached one. Aditionally, the Ace comes with it's own rifle length buffer tube and buffer when you by the "assembly". Are these just a standard rifle RE and buffer?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Would this be cheating?

BCM Enhanced LW

View Quote

Another option is a adjustable gas key.  This allows the use of low mass BCG for less money.  RCA and Sun devil are making these.  I am using one with excellent results and let's me also use the V7 titanium gas block for the most weight savings.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#50]

One criticism, if you can call it that, is the cast Mag Tactical lower can be weak at the RE. The Ace gusset is described as adding strength to the RE connection. I am not sure how that could be, so I would appreciate the input of anyone who has attached one. Aditionally, the Ace comes with it's own rifle length buffer tube and buffer when you by the "assembly". Are these just a standard rifle RE and buffer?
View All Quotes
Also op, I know the ace UL assembly is sort of hard to list they way you have things listed since it neccesitates their gusset if one uses either rifle or "entry" received extent ion, but could you put the weight of the assembly in there of just the aluminum butt, gusset with sling loop and rifle rec ext?  Perhaps you could just put it in parenthesis at the bottom of the buttstock list?  It is still the lightest is it not?

I shopped around for an ace and found a complete one at model 1 sales for 84 bucks.  I do not  understand your first question.  As to what buffer  model 1 sells it complete, however they sent me a riffle buffer and spring the instructions call for a car buffer and spring.  I will be emailing them tonight.  lucky I have spare parts floating around.

ALG single chamber break 2.01 oz
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top