Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2023 11:56:55 AM EDT
Any harm in storing loaded magazine in AR with the bolt locked open... in a safe of course.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#2]
My road is dirt and gravel, that method of storage wouldn't be my first choice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By captn-tin:
Any harm in storing loaded magazine in AR with the bolt locked open... in a safe of course.
View Quote

Begs the question: Why would you want to?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't take a huge bump to the rifle to release the bolt catch.  Then you'll be loaded unexpectedly.
Instead, I would keep it "cruiser ready"; bolt closed, hammer down, mag in.  Rack charging handle, ready to go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
That's exactly how I keep one of my ARs in my home safe.  The only adder is that I have a chamber flag in the chamber so that if an earthquake hits worst case it just jams up into the chamber flag.  But grab and go means simple pulling the chamber flag and hitting the bolt release.

I like how people assume this is a moving safe and not a home safe....  then again, OP didn't specify.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 2:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#7]
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
For the sake of uniformity and simplicity both my HD 1911 and HD AR are stored mag in, safety off, hammer down, empty chamber so I know if I pick either up at 3 am while still waking up from hearing something go bump all that's needed is the clear, affirmative action of chambering a round. Nothing else is stored this way though.

Once things are rolling the safety may go on or off depending on circumstances but that's the condition they're in in the safe.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure seems like a lot of negative to avoid something that take less than a second.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems loading the rifle with a round in the chamber and putting the safety on would make much more sense.  Simpler/quicker/more ergonomic motion to make ready to fire, no constant pressure on feed lips for magazine or the recoil spring.  Plus much quieter to deploy and you can actually have one more round on tap.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
And, it is more likely bumping around in the safe or just handling the rifle would chamber a round than turning safety to fire.  Much shorter distance/easy to depress bolt hold open/release than engaging the safety lever.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mobiushky:
That's exactly how I keep one of my ARs in my home safe.  The only adder is that I have a chamber flag in the chamber so that if an earthquake hits worst case it just jams up into the chamber flag.  But grab and go means simple pulling the chamber flag and hitting the bolt release.

I like how people assume this is a moving safe and not a home safe....  then again, OP didn't specify.
View Quote

So you grab it when you need it, jarring the rifle and inadvertently sending the bolt forward, forcing you to clear a jam before you can even use it.

That’s a horrible idea.

Mag in on an empty chamber.  Takes a second to charge the rifle, likely just as fast as pulling a chamber flag and hitting the bolt release.  Don’t overcomplicate stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a good idea. Keep it closed, bolt carrier forward and dust cover in the closed, position.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I choose cruiser ready personally. If no other reason than to keep pressure off the magazine feed lips. There are other reasons though.

I don't understand the benefit of how OP wants to store his rifle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BobR1] [#15]
Cruiser Ready
Empty Chamber
Bolt Forward "Not Stressing the Buffer Spring"
Hammer Down "Easier on the Hammer Spring, but not a big deal"
Loaded Magazine Seated ready to go.
Safety Off "An AR Selector Switch will not go on safe with the Hammer Down."
All that is required to get the AR ready to run is pulling back the Charging Handle and letting it go.
I carried an AR15 in my Patrol Car in Cruiser Ready condition for 18 years.

As mentioned several times above, in Cruiser Ready Condition there is no chance of bumping the gun and releasing the Bolt, which would strip a round loading the rifle by accident. Cruiser Ready is as Ready as you need a stored AR15 to be.

Bob R
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BobR1:
Cruiser Ready
Empty Chamber
Hammer Down "Easier on the Hammer Spring"
All that is required to get the AR ready to run is pulling back the Charging Handle and letting it go.

As mentioned several times above, in Cruiser Ready Condition there is no chance of bumping the gun and releasing the Bolt, which would strip a round loading the rifle by accident. Cruiser Ready is as Ready as you need a stored AR15 to be.

Bob R
View Quote

Agreed, except for all the nonsence about the stress on the springs.  We have this same discussion 87x a week related to magazine springs.  Sitting compressed doesn't wear them out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Agreed, except for all the nonsence about the stress on the springs.  We have this same discussion 87x a week related to magazine springs.  Sitting compressed doesn't wear them out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Cruiser Ready
Empty Chamber

Bob R

Unless they are shitty springs/mags  to start with.  I've shot USGI mags that were stored loaded with a full 20 or 30rds for 20+ years, they're fine.  I've had shitty magazine springs (looking at spanish pistols and .22LRs) take a set in months.

I would vote cruiser ready in this situation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

So you grab it when you need it, jarring the rifle and inadvertently sending the bolt forward, forcing you to clear a jam before you can even use it.

That’s a horrible idea.

Mag in on an empty chamber.  Takes a second to charge the rifle, likely just as fast as pulling a chamber flag and hitting the bolt release.  Don’t overcomplicate stuff.
View Quote

You do you.  I'll keep mine as is.  One thing that is never considered in any of these internet keyboard commando discussions is the individual's own personal arrangements and situation.  Not everyone should do it the same way.  For you, maybe it's a horrible idea.  And that's fine.  For me, it's the most convenient and stable and maybe for others the same.  I'm fully capable of extracting my rifle from it's current position without "jarring" it.  And even IF it did, it wouldn't jam it would just turn into your situation where I'd need to rack the bolt and extract the flag.  If it's "just as fast" it's not overcomplicated.  Train how you use it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]

You do you.  I'll keep mine as is.  One thing that is never considered in any of these internet keyboard commando discussions is the individual's own personal arrangements and situation.  Not everyone should do it the same way.  For you, maybe it's a horrible idea.  And that's fine.  For me, it's the most convenient and stable and maybe for others the same.  I'm fully capable of extracting my rifle from it's current position without "jarring" it.  And even IF it did, it wouldn't jam it would just turn into your situation where I'd need to rack the bolt and extract the flag.  If it's "just as fast" it's not overcomplicated.  Train how you use it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

That’s a horrible idea.

You may not realize what type of jam you will create by releasing the bolt on a loaded magazine with the chamber flag installed.  It is NOT a simple rack the charging handle to clear.  You will have a round partially in the chamber just past the feed lips, so as you simply rack the charging handle - you put a second round into the mess….

You will need to clear the flag and the partially inserted round. It will require two hands and multiple tasks to clear.  It is not a simple fix, and folks need to understand and be made aware of the potentially disastrous situation it can cause - at a moment when you really may not have the time to clear such an issue.

Yes, you can choose to store the rifle that way, but you really need to be aware of what you may face/create.  Next time at the range, try it — you will need to practice the steps needed to clear the jam, anyway.  Train for it.

I would, personally, never recommend keeping/storing a rifle or a handgun with a chamber flag inserted and a loaded magazine in it with the bolt/slide back to anyone I know.

I do use chamber flags at some ranges, so others can see the chamber is clear.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tgmr05:

You may not realize what type of jam you will create by releasing the bolt on a loaded magazine with the chamber flag installed.  It is NOT a simple rack the charging handle to clear.  You will have a round partially in the chamber just past the feed lips, so as you simply rack the charging handle - you put a second round into the mess….

You will need to clear the flag and the partially inserted round. It will require two hands and multiple tasks to clear.  It is not a simple fix, and folks need to understand and be made aware of the potentially disastrous situation it can cause - at a moment when you really may not have the time to clear such an issue.

Yes, you can choose to store the rifle that way, but you really need to be aware of what you may face/create.  Next time at the range, try it — you will need to practice the steps needed to clear the jam, anyway.  Train for it.

I would, personally, never recommend keeping/storing a rifle or a handgun with a chamber flag inserted and a loaded magazine in it with the bolt/slide back to anyone I know.

I do use chamber flags at some ranges, so others can see the chamber is clear.  
View Quote

OK, again, admittedly there is a certain amount of lack of information transfer on the internet.  I've done exactly what you're talking about.  It all depends on your chamber flag and how you have it placed in the receiver.  I've already done it with my set up.  In fact, I've done it more often than I care to admit during "load and make ready" commands for competition.  Apparently my chamber flag isn't the same as yours because it literally is a simple rack the bolt back and remove the flag.  Maybe mine's just different or something.  I do have one flag that tends to stick in the chamber when I close the bolt on it, but I don't use that one at home.

Another thing that we always forget is that everyone lives in a different living situation.  If you live in an apartment that is prone to outbreaks of gangland style warfare and you tend to need to access your rifle in under a second, you should probably keep it chambered and on safe.  If you live in a place where the most likely activity is going to be someone banging on your door to gain entry, you're going to have more than a second to prepare yourself.  If WWIII starts, well, we'll have some time to prepare.  I'm mainly not convinced by anyone that we need to break the world record for accessing your firearm due to criminal activity.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems loading the rifle with a round in the chamber and putting the safety on would make much more sense.  Simpler/quicker/more ergonomic motion to make ready to fire, no constant pressure on feed lips for magazine or the recoil spring.  Plus much quieter to deploy and you can actually have one more round on tap.  

View Quote

Almost every gun in my safe is like this.
I'm surprised so many are saying empty chamber on a home defense weapon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally, two things come to mind for loaded storage of firearms that have a purpose of being readily accessible/used.

Safety/Simplicity

Each person needs to decide for themselves the best way to achieve that.  

OP asked about any harm with storage with bolt locked open and a loaded magazine inserted.  

Answer:  potential safety concerns, yes, there are.   If anything/anyone releases bolt, including a weather event, you now have a loaded rifle with no safety engaged.  A safer/simpler method is round in the chamber/safety engaged.  Does not mean that is the best choice. As mentioned, cruiser ready for any firearms not personally carried, may be safer with a touch more complexity to access/use.

Using locks/trigger locks/bore cable locks, etc are options too.  Adds more safety, with more complexity to access use.  If conditions dictate usage, so be it, but be sure to actually train for the complexity added in accessing/using firearms so set up.

Utilizing chamber flags for storage with empty chamber and bolt locked back with loaded magazine inserted - simply introduces more complexity with potentially less safety than what op asked about.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:

View All Quotes

Mags take up a ton of space I’d have to buy 2-3 times more safes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Are all of those home defense weapons?
And non HD M1 Garand, 10/22, RAR 22LR, RAR 5.56 rotary mag, 350L AR w/ 5 rnd mag. None of those mags take any room.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
It doesn't take a huge bump to the rifle to release the bolt catch.  Then you'll be loaded unexpectedly.
Instead, I would keep it "cruiser ready"; bolt closed, hammer down, mag in.  Rack charging handle, ready to go.
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:04:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: emandude] [#26]
My 1911 and AR are the hammer fired external safety HD weapons I store loaded and I store them the same way, Empty chamber, hammer down, safety off. This way if I have to reach for either in a rush at 3am  I know the clear, affirmative action of chambering a round is all that's needed. If I need to go safety on once chambered  I can do that.

I have decided it is the simplest and safest  way to keep them ready. My striker fired non safety pistols get stored topped off and ready to go.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#27]
No, I would not store it that way OP.

You want to be ready, just leave one loaded, chambered, on safe.  Simple.

That's how we do it around here.  If a rifle has a mag in it, it's chambered.  Same with pistols.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

It's because you're method is silly and is no faster or easier than just pulling the charging handle back.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

I'm more worried about a fire than needing my rifle in such a hurry that the quarter second will be necessary. A chambered round going off (even in a fire resistant safe if it's a long enough, hot enough fire) means a bullet going full force. Hopefully stopped by the top of the safe, or into the ground if muzzle down. Rounds not chambered are just going to be firecrackers and won't cause any danger to people or property other than maybe what's next to them in the safe.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:01:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#30]
For the past 40 years I’ve been a chambered handgun, empty chamber rifle man.

My SD handgun has a loaded chamber, full mag.  If a druggy bent on killing me busts through the window.  Point and squeeze.  The HG is my first line.
My SD rifle sits there with a closed bolt, empty chamber, safety off, loaded mag inserted.  Rack handle, get to work.  My rifle is my second line.

CORRECTION: my alarm system and 85 pound dog are my first lines.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

You doing you, wrong.

There are several negatives (already described herein) with your plan.
The only positive is a fraction of a second POTENTIAL time savings.  

If 1/4 second makes a difference you need to find a new place to live with less threat metrics.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By captn-tin:
View Quote

Harm to who, or what?

There could be arguments made that it is both harmful to parts of the gun, and to you under certain conditions.

But hey, its America and it is your gun but let me know that is how you roll before I come over.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 3:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NTXGlocker] [#33]
Back when I had safe space, I use to leave loaded
mags in them, but NOT in battery, never.

Why would you want to leave a loaded mag in the gun
with the bolt locked back? Even though it’s on safe?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Could you clarify why you prefer this over cruiser ready? Cruiser ready only requires one action to make the gun ready (racking the CH), whereas yours requires two. Not to mention you forget in the heat of the moment to pull the chamber flag, and now you’ve got issues.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Not all home defense weapons are the same. Handguns at the ready are stored with loaded chambers because they’re drop safe, ARs are stored cruiser ready because they are not.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Condition 1 or 3 for me. IMHO leaving the safety off on an empty chamber is goofy, as is decocking ARs in storage.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:45:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#37]
Delete
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By p3590:
Unless they are shitty springs/mags  to start with.  I've shot USGI mags that were stored loaded with a full 20 or 30rds for 20+ years, they're fine.  I've had shitty magazine springs (looking at spanish pistols and .22LRs) take a set in months.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By p3590:
Cruiser Ready
Empty Chamber

Bob R

This phenomenon is dependent of stress level, ambient temperature, spring material and time.  It isn't a controversial subject in spring design, but a lot of people seem to think it isn't real.

Having said that, the AR-15 makes abundant use of 17-7ph as a spring material, which is *extremely* resistant to relaxation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Personal preference: any weapon that is an HD weapon has a round chambered and safety on or, in the case of a striker fired pistol, is holstered.

Cruiser ready is fine as well. Any other strange combination is a solution in search of a problem and isn't safer, quicker or beneficial in any way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#40]
GtG
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Agreed!
arrowtopp
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Ya I had the same thought, just use the safety.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top