Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2024 1:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brawnydog]
I have one of the overruns and when I first got it I thought about adding a FSB, but i never had the guts to try to drill a virgin FSB and barrel.
I have pivoted and now would like a whole new setup that I never even considered: A suppressor upper. This will take me time as budget allows, but some off-the-top ideas that night or might not be great. I don't care about GUCCI or brand recognition, but I'm not trying to get the cheapest possible, either.
1. A light round comfortable free float rail.
2. An adjustable low profile gas block.
3. A light, effective can.
4. Light 4-5x optic (thinking about that a 1-4x might be best), something decent for 3-400 yrds (if that's within effective range suppressed)
5. Rail light
6. Something I can eventually incorporate NV with. This would be the most distant desire, but I realize that to not consider it would be foolish.
I'm just looking for ideas, suggestions, critiques, etc.
My story is I'm recovering from surgery and want to spend some time dreaming up a good set up.

I'll be using a generic upper, nothing fancy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought about adding a FSB, but i never had the guts to try to drill a virgin FSB and barrel.
View Quote

Set screws are the way of the world for us of this ilk!

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:03:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#2]
Geissele Mk16 13.5 purchased during the upcoming Memorial Day sale. I got a blem for like $140 last year that was laughable for being a blem. Even non blem theyre usually knocked down to a couple hundred bucks. Would make for a cool semi URGI.

Superlative seems to be the go to adjustable these days. I’ve had good luck with the much cheaper and super simple Aero adjustable but I don’t even have 1,000 rounds through my two examples so reluctant to recommend.

For an optic if you’re not worried about weight the Vortex PST II is a good default. If you want to cut that cost in half theres always the Primary Arms Nova. I’m entirely in the ACOG/prism with a red dot camp these days though as I hate heavy carbines.

For a budget light Streamlight ProTac is the way to go. The newest generation has less issues with flickering. Otherwise I like Cloud or Surefire. You can get a Cloud with mount and switch for $300 on their trade in program.

I’m not experienced enough with them to speak to suppressor recommendations.

I would maybe think your goals over a little more. With a LPVO, NV aiming device, and suppressor you’re going to be pushing LMG weight. More so if you add a standard FSB. You mention lightweight preferences so something to keep in mind. Hope recovery goes quick and you can be back to blasting ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Geissele Mk16 13.5 purchased during the upcoming Memorial Day sale. I got a blem for like $140 last year that was laughable for being a blem. Even non blem theyre usually knocked down to a couple hundred bucks. Would make for a cool semi URGI.

Superlative seems to be the go to adjustable these days. I've had good luck with the much cheaper and super simple Aero adjustable but I don't even have 1,000 rounds through my two examples so reluctant to recommend.

For an optic if you're not worried about weight the Vortex PST II is a good default. If you want to cut that cost in half theres always the Primary Arms Nova. I'm entirely in the ACOG/prism with a red dot camp these days though as I hate heavy carbines.

For a budget light Streamlight ProTac is the way to go. The newest generation has less issues with flickering. Otherwise I like Cloud or Surefire. You can get a Cloud with mount and switch for $300 on their trade in program.

I'm not experienced enough with them to speak to suppressor recommendations.

I would maybe think your goals over a little more. With a LPVO, NV aiming device, and suppressor you're going to be pushing LMG weight. More so if you add a standard FSB. You mention lightweight preferences so something to keep in mind. Hope recovery goes quick and you can be back to blasting ASAP.
View Quote
Thank you, I've bookmarked several of your suggestions. I certainly have plenty of time for critiques, suggestions, reaccessments, and such
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know how it helps, but 10+ years ago I snagged one of the FN CHF PSA uppers.  I built into a basic M4'gery.  But then topped it with a Strike Eagle 1-8.  Very accurate and flawless.  It's in my top 3 go to rigs.  

Tag for pics to follow.  Might help ya spend $, (wisely or course)
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Have JT pin your front sight  and build a nice lightweight carbine. Something simple.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
Don't know how it helps, but 10+ years ago I snagged one of the FN CHF PSA uppers.  I built into a basic M4'gery.  But then topped it with a Strike Eagle 1-8.  Very accurate and flawless.  It's in my top 3 go to rigs.  

Tag for pics to follow.  Might help ya spend $, (wisely or course)
View Quote
I already have an m4gery. As least as close as I need it to be. I'll look for pics.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The DEZ set screw type FSB is a great option for a build if you are not sure about the final configuration.

You can use it like that for as long as you like, or eventually send it out to JT for a permanent mount.

Just be sure to use a very good Allen wrench and some red loktite once you get it in the correct position.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If I and one I would get a  DD Free floating hangars and make a Block II
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The DEZ set screw type FSB is a great option for a build if you are not sure about the final configuration.
View Quote

And they are so simple to DIY.  I have done 3 now, 2 from virgin FSBs and 1 take-off.  A take-off is the way if you can get one for a decent price.  JSE has virgins for $25ish
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

And they are so simple to DIY.  I have done 3 now, 2 from virgin FSBs and 1 take-off.  A take-off is the way if you can get one for a decent price.  JSE has virgins for $25ish
View Quote

I’ve done that with a take off before also, just need a tap and some set screws.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
14.7 "  CHF PSA/FN barrel assy in a spikes upper receiver. Same profile as socom without the 203 cuts barrel roll marks are under the gas tube.
This was also bought 10 or 11 years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top