Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 9:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped]
Did anything like this officially exist during or slightly after the Vietnam War era?

ETA: or unofficially (i.e. MACV-SOG)
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

18Z50
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:00:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tiger222] [#2]
Not officially then, there was an American merc in Rhodesia who modded his AR15. And there is an African military doing this to their M16A1’s now, they started  just a few years ago and they are still in service afaik. Oh and I’m fairly certain there was an Aussie in Nam who had a telestock, singlepoint & XM148 on his. These is a photo somewhere out there. Well a head of the game!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tiger222:
Not officially then, there was an American merc in Rhodesia who modded his AR15. And there is an African military doing this to their M16A1’s now, they started  just a few years ago and they are still in service afaik. Oh and I’m fairly certain there was an Aussie in Nam who had a telestock, singlepoint & XM148 on his. These is a photo somewhere out there. Well a head of the game!
View Quote

Ah, gotcha.

Guess I'll start looking for A1 stock now
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Go A2 w/ collapsible stock, official US Army mod.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I just built a C7A2 ish build along these lines.

I liked the Canadian C7A2 but also like the M16A2 modded with CAR buttstock. I have a couple pics saved of a guy in Desert Storm chocolate chip camo with an A2 with collapsible CAR stock.

I got a C7A2 lower from Bad Attitude Dept and was going to build that first but real Diemaco parts are hard to come by, and pricey whem you do find them.

I ended up building a hybrid to try out the general pattern. Not a clone of anything, but I like the layout.

BA C7A2 lower, C7 upper, A2 rear peep and square fron post. 4 position buffer and CAR stock, A2 grip and handguards. 20 inch 1-7 pencil barrel with A2 flash hider.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Go A2 w/ collapsible stock, official US Army mod.
View Quote

Nah. Trying to put together for my old man a similar build from his time in South Vietnam 1967. Was hoping that slapping an H&R A1 upper onto a milspec lower w/ an XM177 stock had historical precedent. Would've been cheaper and faster. But mainly cheaper.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top