Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 9/27/2023 11:18:12 AM EDT
I have been looking at the Hk MR556 for 4-5 years.  I like the piston type ARs.  I have an LWRC M6 and a 10.5" LWRC upper on one of my SBRs.  The reason I 've only been looking at the MR556 is that none have been available.  Now I have a chance to buy one NIB.

What do you guys say, FO or NO FO?
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InfamousAK] [#1]
Originally Posted By ltcdwb:
I have been looking at the Hk MR556 for 4-5 years.  I like the piston type ARs.  I have an LWRC M6 and a 10.5" LWRC upper on one of my SBRs.  The reason I 've only been looking at the MR556 is that none have been available.  Now I have a chance to buy one NIB.

What do you guys say, FO or NO FO?
View Quote

I want to state first and foremost, I'm not an HK Nut Hugger.

If you been eyeballing one for years at this point, go ahead and scratch that itch. I assuming you've done your research, and know what you are getting with this product. All that said I voted for you to FO, but would I purchase one? No, not unless it was significantly lower than what they sell for now. They are definitely built tough, and it has the collectible and cool factor, but personally I believe there are better options on par with it out there for a lot less.

Also with that said, you can always make better upgrades to it, but that will also hit the pockets deep.

But if its what you have been wanting, which it sounds like you have that desire, go for it! And post pics when you get it!
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You could always get the upper kit/buffer and spring and put it on a good lower?  HK USA has good sales several times a year.  Other vendors have them too.  You can normally get one cheaper than getting a SIG MCX upper.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#3]
for me it isn't the 416 I really want, so I'd rather have a Caracal and scratch that itch for a lot less money and get an adjustable gas block in the bargain (which I did and it's a great carbine)

My LMT piston gun kind of dispelled my HK obsession. The LMT is so damn good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered the MR556.  It should get here either today or tomorrow.  Now to choose a LPVO.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an MR556 I have cloned out to be 416D, it's the absolute jewel of my crown. I personally don't recommend going to clone route unless you have some extra funds to drop, the base MR556 is just such a pleasure.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ltcdwb:
I ordered the MR556.  It should get here either today or tomorrow.  Now to choose a LPVO.
View Quote

You have a USMC avatar, this is the way-

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I would agree, but it will take a while to save up for the Trijicon.  Another sticking point for me is the Trijicon LPVO is a first focal plane scope.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:50:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blaster7R] [#8]
Originally Posted By DrRockso:
for me it isn't the 416 I really want, so I'd rather have a Caracal and scratch that itch for a lot less money and get an adjustable gas block in the bargain (which I did and it's a great carbine)

My LMT piston gun kind of dispelled my HK obsession. The LMT is so damn good.
View Quote

Also own a couple of LWRCs,  I have an LMT 12inch piston gun with the shovel nose upper.   I have a Sig Virtus in 11 inch.  5.56.   I had  a Scar.  

I owned an actual HK 416 10inch upper with the OTB mods, and Geissele handguard, it checked all the cool factor boxes for sure!   I sold it for its inflated price during covid lock down gun scare and I have never looked back !!   Not a good gun to run suppressed, I tried buffers, drilled gas blocks  all of it.  hard to get parts expensive parts heavy ..    Just fucking over it !   it is an over rated platform IMO.  

I shot out the barrel in my LWRC and never had a malfunction.  Now It did not go with me to combat but I did not baby it either.   If I had to pick a gun to take back to Iraq or Afghanistan on another combat deployment that I own of have owned it would be my LMT, points well shoots well (I have not grouped beyond zero but neither did i with my 416.) Adjustable gas block for my suppressors.  The upper is just one solid peace so lasers are not going to lose zero or shift.  

I am not trashing the MR556. or 416 platform.  but...  there is just other stuff out there at a better prices and dose the same job with actual customer support.

ETA:  missed the part where you ordered it lol   congrats enjoy !
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
its awesome rifle
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:50:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#10]
On sale -

https://www.rooftopdefense.com/product/heckler-koch-hk-mr556-16-5-56-mlok-rifle/

Great people to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#11]
@ltcdwb

OP any updates on your purchase?  Are you enjoying your new MR556?  Which optic did you select?
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:30:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#12]
I had a legit M27 IAR clone … that thing was heeeaaavy … only way I’d have another MR556/416 gun is in SBR form.

Great rifle just a bit heavy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no way around the HK’s being heavy. That’s a part of the reason that the newer Mlok MR556 have a lighter profile barrel.

OP like said above, you’ve had this itch, definitely scratch it! Just consider the long term plan to help you choose which MR556 to go with. If you want a clone, find an older heavy barrel quad rail MR556, if you want to leave 16”, go mlok. Etc
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TurtlesAlltheWayDown:

You have a USMC avatar, this is the way-

https://www.sandboxx.us/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/210210-M-DB029-1031-660x260-1.jpg
View Quote

And you can commonly find hk quad rail master race surplus at hk parts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

And you can commonly find hk quad rail master race surplus at hk parts.
View Quote

I bought mine direct from HK (HK webstore). It was advertised as a "HK416 take off".
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By frankintank:
There is no way around the HK’s being heavy. That’s a part of the reason that the newer Mlok MR556 have a lighter profile barrel.

OP like said above, you’ve had this itch, definitely scratch it! Just consider the long term plan to help you choose which MR556 to go with. If you want a clone, find an older heavy barrel quad rail MR556, if you want to leave 16”, go mlok. Etc
View Quote

Is that so?

Can't confirm that.

I have both the 11.5" as well as the 16 (or 16.5") versions. They both did come with the new slimline stock as well as the slimline handguard (A3 in H&K nomenclature). Both feature a heavy barrel. Even the 11.5" Is quite front heavy, but that is the nature of the beast with piston guns. The 516 features a slimmer barrel and the front heaviness is not that distinct.

It also kinda sucks that H&K does not offer an adjustable gas system as standard for the civilian models, since usage of sound suppressors has become a standard.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By zhe_pickelhaube:

Is that so?

Can't confirm that.

I have both the 11.5" as well as the 16 (or 16.5") versions. They both did come with the new slimline stock as well as the slimline handguard (A3 in H&K nomenclature). Both feature a heavy barrel. Even the 11.5" Is quite front heavy, but that is the nature of the beast with piston guns. The 516 features a slimmer barrel and the front heaviness is not that distinct.

It also kinda sucks that H&K does not offer an adjustable gas system as standard for the civilian models, since usage of sound suppressors has become a standard.
View Quote

@

I agree about the adjustable gas, and will add that most of us would prefer a chrome lined bored and chamber.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had mine for several years and has not had one issue.  Heavy?  Meh, hit da gym.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I like mine!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy and upper and a standard AR lower.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 0351:
Buy and upper and a standard AR lower.
View Quote

There's an MR556A1 upper on GB (#1036066087) for $1449.  Date code is CD.  I am guessing a take-off, don't see the buffer and spring listed.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top