Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2024 10:56:52 PM EDT
Hi y’all

Does anyone know where I could find the 300blk followers that I could use to convert some 556 mags. I’ve been searching online for a hour I can’t find em.

I’m in a restricted state so can’t just get the 300 mags.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s the exact same mag and follower. But mark your 300 Blk mags so you don’t accidentally jam a 300 Blk into a 5.56 chamber and kaboom it.  Paint , Tape, Color, Sharpie Marker , just find a way to mark them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Easy peasy amazon. And yes, they are the same mags as 5.56
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
They use the same magazines however if you are using subsonic ammo you want to use magazines designed for the fatter bullet as they can drag on the rib.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea I would like to get the followers with the shorter ramp specifically for subs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:33:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dam0007:
Yea I would like to get the followers with the shorter ramp specifically for subs.
View Quote

The “rib” being referenced is in the mag body itself, not the followers.

Here’s a good pic.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:37:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#6]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Some people just file/grind down the rib correct? I read about it in regards to some .458 socom bullets.

Wasn't sure about 300 blackout having an issue.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:

Some people just file/grind off the rib correct? I read about it in regards to some .458 socom bullets.

Wasn't sure about longer 300 blackout having an issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:

Some people just file/grind off the rib correct? I read about it in regards to some .458 socom bullets.

Wasn't sure about longer 300 blackout having an issue.

I’ve seen some people post about filing them off which in reality should accomplish the exact same thing.  Never tried it myself, though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:13:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#8]
Filing the rib?

Yeah, I’ve done that.

For the others who may have done it, how long did it take to do a 30-round mag? Were you proud of your work when completed?

After doing one (very badly), I vowed never again. Maybe if you devise a special tool. It was an absolute bitch to do it with a bastard file.

If you want to run big fat bullets in 300BLK  that protrude all the way to the front-rib, it’s way easier to JUST BUY 300BLK mags. And, if you buy a different style/color mag, it’s easier to keep them segregated from 223 mags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah these are Magpulls, I have some D&h aluminums and some off brand Syntech polys I’m trying to convert. Gotta make due with what I have to maintain 30rnds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Filing the rib?

Yeah, I’ve done that.

For the others who may have done it, how long did it take to do a 30-round mag? Were you proud of your work when completed?

After doing one (very badly), I vowed never again. Maybe if you devise a special tool. It was an absolute bitch to do it with a bastard file.

If you want to run big fat bullets in 300BLK  that protrude all the way to the front-rib, it’s way easier to JUST BUY 300BLK mags. And, if you buy a different style/color mag, it’s easier to keep them segregated from 223 mags.
View Quote

If you compare some of the 300 and regular mags the ramp on the follower is shorter on the 300 ones too. That’s what I’m looking for.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#11]
Why on earth would anyone file down/off the forward side rib for use with the .458 SOCOM?  Obviously nobody who ever actually used one in a quality made rifle.  That mod is 100% NOT needed for use with the .458 S with ANY bullet, plus, it negates the future use of 5.56/.223 in that mag from then on, which was one of the main design parameters of the .458S in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:03:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#12]
The rib of an ordinary 5.57 mag constricts against the .30 caliber bullets in the ammo-stack if you run 200-grain bullets.

That constriction against the bullet causes the ass-end of the rounds to splay outward.

The constriction in the front, combined with the splay in the rear causes considerably greater friction in the magazine, and will often cause bolt-over-base malfunctions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Any comparison of 300BLK to 458 SOCOM is completely off point.

458 SOCOM runs as a single-stack, nine-shot capacity, with a common 5.56 30-round magazine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#14]

If you compare some of the 300 and regular mags the ramp on the follower is shorter on the 300 ones too. That’s what I’m looking for.
View All Quotes
Filing the rib?

Yeah, I’ve done that.

I just compared a 300BLK vs standard 5.56 Lancer and a 300BLK vs standard M3 PMAG and the followers between each are identical.  The only difference is in the color of the PMAG followers (black f/ 300 and gray for M3).
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Any comparison of 300BLK to 458 SOCOM is completely off point.

458 SOCOM runs as a single-stack, nine-shot capacity, with a common 5.56 30-round magazine.
View Quote

Exactly, and that’s why filing down the forward side ribs is ridiculous.  Because of my 23 year love affair with the .458S, I can’t let misinformation about the .458 S pass, no matter where it is.  And it’s 11 rounds of .458 in a 30R mag and 7 rounds in a 20R mag.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#16]

I just compared a 300BLK vs standard 5.56 Lancer and a 300BLK vs standard M3 PMAG and the followers between each are identical.  The only difference is in the color of the PMAG followers (black f/ 300 and gray for M3).
View Quote

Was trying to upload pic couldnt. This guy holds up both you can see the ramp is different and the mouth of it is wider. These are magpuls https://www.brownells.com/the-trigger-times/tips--tricks/quick-tips/quick-tip-using-.300-blackout-mags-in-a-5.56--.223-rifle/
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Was trying to upload pic couldnt. This guy holds up both you can see the ramp is different and the mouth of it is wider. These are magpuls https://www.brownells.com/the-trigger-times/tips--tricks/quick-tips/quick-tip-using-.300-blackout-mags-in-a-5.56--.223-rifle/
View Quote

300 on right

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#18]

That’s it! Thanks. All I’m trying to do is get a couple of those followers.

300 on right

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/IMG_2076_jpeg-3120276.JPG
View All Quotes

That’s it! Thanks. All I’m trying to do is get a couple of those followers.

300 on right

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/IMG_2076_jpeg-3120276.JPG

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I am unaware of Magpul selling P-MAG followers of any stripe as a separate item.

You can buy the whole magazine for $13

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/magpul-pmag-gen-m3-ar-15-300-aac-blackout-30-round-magazine.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I am unaware of Magpul selling P-MAG followers of any stripe as a separate item.

You can buy the whole magazine for $13

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/magpul-pmag-gen-m3-ar-15-300-aac-blackout-30-round-magazine.html

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/Untitled_jpg-3120770.JPG
View Quote

Wish I could, unfortunately in a communist state
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gordo556] [#21]

Wish I could, unfortunately in a communist state
View Quote

Just find Pmag 300’s blocked to 10 online.
They are out there. I bought a bunch before. I also reside in a commie state.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top