Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2023 2:19:12 PM EDT
I just got a m&p 15-22 and as embarrassing as it is to say I didn't realize that you could not put it in safety mode without the charging handle being cocked. The selector was already a little bit stiff so I thought that was the only issue, and then i did get it to go forward into safe mode but immediately took it out as I then thought this was a no no, it was tough to move into safe mode but it also seemed like it could have been just needing to be worked. Now that I know it needs to be charged it works as normal but my question is, is there anything I should be concerned about replacing? I did order a new safety selector as I figured maybe it had been compromised and I dug into the switch when forcing it to move? Or could it be fine? Is the factory selector all one piece?

I am going to schedule an appointment with a local smith to put on my volquartsen firing pin, extractor & tk plunger as well as the safety selector.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to tell without pictures.

The parts you list are easily replaced at home if you have basic tools and skills.

RCA
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The normal AR-15 selector won’t work, the 22 receiver is a little wider. You have to order a 15-22 specific safety.

The rest of the trigger group is the same.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Another thing to consider is that the S&W MP 15 22 has a polymer receiver.
Bad things can happen when you try to force a selector installed in a polymer receiver.

RCA
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The safety is made of polymer so you probably just gouged it up forcing it like you did. Yes, the receiver is polymer also, but I have a hard time seeing damaging it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top