Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2024 7:27:53 PM EDT
Ive noticed cam pins seem to get a groove on them easily within 1000 rounds, made me think the one good thing about chromed bcg is the cam pin. I see centurion sells this part standalone. Opinions?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed that cam pins wear to a point then wear stabilizes. Kind of like break in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
That's most likely due to improper heat treatment or choice of steel (soft end product).  I had this issue with my first AR 25 years ago, so I bought several to stock as consumables; I haven't had one wear since.  Chrome plating isn't necessary - just good metallurgy with proper cleaning and lubrication.  I use MolySlide (a light grease with 60% moly) because this is a high-stress area.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
I've noticed that cam pins wear to a point then wear stabilizes. Kind of like break in.
View Quote

This...never had to replace one...per the big army, gets a drop of CLP before use.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I replaced a cam pin in a Daniel Defense bcg because of excessive wear after about 400rds.  I was kind of disturbed by how much it had worn.

The heat treatment for the cam pin is extremely suspect, and I would be leary of depending on a hard-chromed pin.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#7]
I never had a cam pin snap on me and I owned AR rifles since about 2007-8 timeframe. As you use the rifle parts will wear and settle in. It is impossible for friction to occur without showing some wearing.

Wearing is okay, cracks are not. That's one of the problems when people making cleaning videos is that they're talking about inspecting parts of unusual wearing or cracks or breakage. But reality is what you're seeing is perfectly normal unless there is a crack. Unusual wearing is where it shows deep gouges and it doesn't stop and keeps getting progressively worse after each usage.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
No need.

Shoot, clean/inspect, replace as necessary.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s normal.  Install it in the same orientation every time if you can help it,  or the other side will “seat” as well making it looser.  I have had good results greasing all my cam pins.

Better the pin takes some wear vs the bolt or carrier cam slot.

Also,  carriers like LMT’s e carrier with the steeper cam path eat pins up faster in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jnat:
It’s normal.  Install it in the same orientation every time if you can help it,  or the other side will “seat” as well making it looser.  I have had good results greasing all my cam pins.

Also,  carriers like LMT’s e carrier with the steeper cam path eat pins up faster in my experience.
View Quote

SOTAR nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

SOTAR nonsense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jnat:

SOTAR nonsense.

Like the guy or not…

but in doing so,  the groove is more or less on one side of the pin vs around the bulk of entire diameter.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:46:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#12]

SOTAR nonsense.
View Quote

When do u know to replace?
Should i at least have one for every bcg?
What will go faster that or gas rings?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

View Quote

When it breaks . . . .

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#14]

Should i at least have one for every bcg?
What will go faster that or gas rings?
View Quote

I replaced my gas rings often due to wear. It’s never a bad idea to have a space bolt, cam pin, gas rings, bolt ejector and extractor springs and parts, and a fire pin.

You know when to replace gas rings when it’s very loose in the bcg. Usually falls out but usually causes brass to behave differently. You know when to replace cam pin or fire pin when it’s actually broke or cracked.

However in all my years owning an AR I only ever replace gas rings, ejector springs, extractor spring, and once a chipped fire pin. Never a cam pin but you never know as these things can break but very unlikely and not a super major worry.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#15]
Chrome lined cam pin after a minimum of 5,000 rounds, probably a bit more but lost track.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I’ve never had a cam pin break but I suspect the chromed examples are less susceptible based on surface wear. Hardening or inconsistencies who knows, but you can barely feel the wear with a finger nail. If not obvious, I don’t pay attention to orientation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks about the same to me . . .

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#17]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

https://i.imgur.com/TYU2B2v.png
View Quote

My phosphate and nitride examples have a groove where as I’d say my chrome ones are more of a light surface scratch.

I’m not worried about it either way. As stated I’ve never had one break and have extras in the event one does.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

My phosphate and nitride examples have a groove where as I’d say my chrome ones are more of a light surface scratch.

I’m not worried about it either way. As stated I’ve never had one break and have extras in the event one does.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

https://i.imgur.com/TYU2B2v.png

My Daniel Defense had a groove after about 400 rounds.  I replaced it with a colt cam pin, but haven't shot it yet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:01:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#19]
Chrome lined cam pin after a minimum of 5,000 rounds, probably a bit more but lost track.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3356_jpeg-3185186.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3357_jpeg-3185188.JPG

I’ve never had a cam pin break but I suspect the chromed examples are less susceptible based on surface wear. Hardening or inconsistencies who knows, but you can barely feel the wear with a finger nail. If not obvious, I don’t pay attention to orientation.
View Quote

Don't forget that if it's not baked after chrome plating, which some people like to skip wherever possible the part is made more brittle

Whose make chrome pin is that?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:05:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#20]
I just ordered from specialized armament 3 days ago, everything but the extractor from the suggested parts. I already have spare springs. I did email them asking to send me a buffer tube without nicks and I know they don't take kindly to something as innocuous as people asking for an ETA. no reply and also no charge on the card yet not even authorization. I wonder if they took offense to my request
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#21]
I just ordered from specialized armament 3 days ago, everything but the extractor from the suggested parts. I already have spare springs. I did email them asking to send me a buffer tube without nicks and I know they don't take kindly to something as innocuous as people asking for an ETA. no reply and also no charge on the card yet not even authorization. I wonder if they took offense to my request
View Quote

Sgt Elmore's customer service is about as bad if not the worst as anyone in the entire gun industry. And their website sux.

Every time I click on anything on their site I get the circle of death for 15-20 seconds before it responds. Only website that does this to me.

They dont ask for the 3 digit number on your credit card until after you place the order, then they send you an email asking you to spell it out or call and leave it on their voicemail lol.  

nine, eight, one and dont forget the commas.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Sgt Elmore's customer service is about as bad if not the worst as anyone in the entire gun industry. And their website sux.

Every time I click on anything on their site I get the circle of death for 15-20 seconds before it responds. Only website that does this to me.

They dont ask for the 3 digit number on your credit card until after you place the order, then they send you an email asking you to spell it out or call and leave it on their voicemail lol.  

nine, eight, one and dont forget the commas.

View Quote

What commas?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#23]

What commas?
View Quote

The commas between the numbers you spell out on the email they send lol, never seen any vendor of any kind do online purchases like this. I guess like Brownells we get “Elmored” lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#24]
Like i say my zipcode zero comma two comma eight comma etc?? Im so lost!

No buffer tube for you. I was trying to get another one of those Mark 18 tubes but somebody tried to sell me one that was new but had dings all over the place. That's what I'm trying to avoid.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Don't forget that if it's not baked after chrome plating, which some people like to skip wherever possible the part is made more brittle

View Quote

No idea at this point. 60% chance it’s Microbest, 40% chance it’s Brownell’s.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3356_jpeg-3185186.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3357_jpeg-3185188.JPG

People love saving $.02/part by skipping hydrogen bakes.  I guess it makes them feel smart (I lack perspective, since I'm a dumb ass).

I would expect the material that the part is made of to be very brittle, since it's tempered at 625F.  I find that to be very suspect.

With very few exceptions, no steel should be tempered at or near 500-600F, because it will be severely embrittled.  It is supposedly already extremely brittle without being chrome-plated, and chrome-plating it sure as hell isn't improving that.

Whether this brittleness actually reveals itself in broken parts is unknown to me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I am disappointed with the photography in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
View Quote

I am disappointed in the thread.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
View Quote

Originally Posted By xciapup:

I am disappointed in the thread.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top