Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/5/2024 8:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmegHead]
I decided to update my 1990s ArmaLite to a more “modern” configuration and started a few years ago.

From the factory this started as an A4 stainless 20” HBAR (Lothar-Walther? 1-11.25”, I think.  It’s unmarked) with standard black furniture.  Unusual to mine is the drilled and pinned 1913 gas block. I think A.L. switched over to the clamp style around ‘99 or so.  It also sported the ban-era three-port muzzle brake which I replaced with an A1 device.

The first real update was a Geissele  SSA-E.  It works as it should and fits the narrow-slot bolt without issue.  

Next was a Magpul PRS and a BRN-10 grip.

The last piece was an m-lok free-float tube with a full length top rail.  Perpetually OOS.  Finally I got one.  The 12” was picked because I wanted to keep the factory gas block.  

Now it is time to remount and rezero the Leupold.

Gas block
IMG_5505 by SmëgHead, on Flickr" />

Modernity
IMG_5506 by SmëgHead, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: arashi] [#1]
I recently did the same thing to one of mine.  I found a used rail for cheap, sure it's kemod, but better than A2 handguards.

The Aramalite ar10b's are the only guns from the 90's that actually went down in value over the years.

My old ar10b A2 with fixed carry handle, retro brown BRN10 furniture, and 3 prong flash hider gets the most use though. Just fun to shoot.

I missed out on the Brownell's BRN10's when they were available...

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:49:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice, my oldest (I trader away older) ‘06  started out as a “T” but it’s seen so many upgrades it’s not even close to what it was. Good job OP…
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Take that rifle outside in some sunlight and take some better pics!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you paint the barrel?

I was thinking about media blasting mine to a dull grey finish.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it’s painted, but only fwd of the gas block.  It needs a touch up, lol…..

Better pics…..

IMG_5507 by SmëgHead, on Flickr" />

IMG_5508 by SmëgHead, on Flickr" />

IMG_5509 by SmëgHead, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#6]
"she's a beaut  clark"

great looking rifle , that rail must knock off at least 20 years
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!  The grip is a Brownells BRN-10.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top