BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/27/2024 12:50:20 AM EDT
Hey all,

I’m coming up on purchasing a scope for my new DD5V4, and I’m currently waffling between the two in the title. I’ve owned a Nightforce NXS before and loved it but don’t have any experience with Steiner scopes. The plan is to set the gun up as a “DMR” type rifle, out to about 800m. Does anyone have any insight they could share in terms of experience with either or both? Recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:01:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#1]
The NX8 tunnels below 3.3x so I don't consider a true 2.5x.
NIGHTFORCE NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 Mil-XT - Wonderful!

IMO it's 8oz too heavy and needs to have a more workable low mag. 2-16x42mm would have been better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is $1500ish your budget? How high can you go?
Steiner 2.5-15x50 Great SPR/ Precision Optic
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I can get both for a pretty sick discount, but yeah, budget is about $1500 max. I’ve considered the 2.5-15 also, but figured I might as well get the extra 3X magnification.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Kinda depends on your minimum range and if you will have offset irons or a mrds.

Trijicon 3-18x44 Tenmile looks good if you can accept the length.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
Kinda depends on your minimum range and if you will have offset irons or a mrds.

Trijicon 3-18x44 Tenmile looks good if you can accept the length.
View Quote

The plan is to eventually get an offset or piggyback MRDS
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I really wanted the 2.5-20 until I looked at one in a gun shop.   Heavy AF and the reticle blew at the low end.
Then looked at the Leupold 2-10.   Much lighter but didn't want to mess with a 35?mm tube.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#7]
I take it FFP is a requirement. If you will use a MRDS seriously, maybe bump low end up. Try a Voetex Razor HD LHT if you are set on that 20x for your 800yd affairs.

If low end is a big enough priority, also consider SFP. Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 and the NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm are good options but a little dated.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
How come I only ever hear glowing or totally negative reviews of the Nx8 2.5-20x?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Idiosyncratic trade offs breed extreme polarization of opinion.

It's essentially a 4-16 scope stretched to both ends of the 8x zoom ratio to fit the NX8 marketing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:00:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: adavis] [#10]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
How come I only ever hear glowing or totally negative reviews of the Nx8 2.5-20x?
View Quote

Because Nightforce changed the optical "formula" around 2022 or so. I had one and hated it but I'd love to try one again.

The Steiner T6xi line is very nice too. I had a 2.5-15 when they first released and it was a quality scope. That said, there are other scopes at or around the price point that I prefer (Nightforce NXS and ATACR being some of them).
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By adavis:

Because Nightforce changed the optical "formula" around 2022 or so. I had one and hated it but I'd love to try one again.

The Steiner T6xi line is very nice too. I had a 2.5-15 when they first released and it was a quality scope. That said, there are other scopes at or around the price point that I prefer (Nightforce NXS and ATACR being some of them).
View Quote
The two 2.5-20s I've owned since 2020 have both been great. I guess I need to try a newer one to see what I've been missing.  

Some other designs stop demagnifying and shrink their FOV instead.  I know the internet lore about how tunneling works, but to call it something other than 2.5x is unfair.  This scope does lose field of view (it has loads to spare), but it continues to demagnify all the way to the bottom.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By phlegm:
The two 2.5-20s I've owned since 2020 have both been great. I guess I need to try a newer one to see what I've been missing.  

Some other designs stop demagnifying and shrink their FOV instead.  I know the internet lore about how tunneling works, but to call it something other than 2.5x is unfair.  This scope does lose field of view (it has loads to spare), but it continues to demagnify all the way to the bottom.  
View Quote

Tunneling typically refers to the field of view not increasing as the magnification is lowered. I don't recall my NX8 tunneling around 4x, but it's certainly possible. I read on Sniper's Hide that the 4x on the 4-32 NX8 has a wider FOV on 4x than pretty much anything else on the market.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top