AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 123
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

It is 100% fact that current teams (I've only seen it on West coast but could be happening out East too) are employing the 14.5" Block II in a "Recce" or "DMR" role (or whatever is trendy to call it this week). It's usually paired with an SU-279/PVS (ECOS-O contract) variable optic and a bipod. There are countless photos of them doing this from the last few years. There could be an argument that that configuration fits within the topic of this thread. Hell, even the title of it differentiates between NSWDG vs SEAL, although I don't recall to date ever discussing any "SEAL" recces in here, it's mostly been centered around JSOC unit guns like nswdg, cag & 24th. Although we already have a Block II thread so…

But I agree, this weirdo concept of combining a devgru gun with big socom / seal shit like block 2 components is gross, doesn't even make any sense and needs to go in some concept thread or something. Hence my original "WTF is that?" comment. At least there was a dev recce in the last photo. The confusing and awkward tradition of people popping into the clone thread/groups with "I see your mil rifle theme, but how about I share my own version/interpretation of it, I'm sure you will be interested!" will never die. Such bizarre behavior.

SEAL Block II recces for example:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/224859/IMG_0044_JPG-3184037.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/224859/IMG_0043_JPG-3184038.JPG
View Quote

I guess you'll just have to put me on ignore. 😭😭😭

🤷🏼‍♂️
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:10:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AWHAILYEAH] [#2]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:

🤷🏼‍♂️
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It is 100% fact that current teams (I've only seen it on West coast but could be happening out East too) are employing the 14.5" Block II in a "Recce" or "DMR" role (or whatever is trendy to call it this week). It's usually paired with an SU-279/PVS (ECOS-O contract) variable optic and a bipod. There are countless photos of them doing this from the last few years. There could be an argument that that configuration fits within the topic of this thread. Hell, even the title of it differentiates between NSWDG vs SEAL, although I don't recall to date ever discussing any "SEAL" recces in here, it's mostly been centered around JSOC unit guns like nswdg, cag & 24th. Although we already have a Block II thread so…

But I agree, this weirdo concept of combining a devgru gun with big socom / seal shit like block 2 components is gross, doesn't even make any sense and needs to go in some concept thread or something. Hence my original "WTF is that?" comment. At least there was a dev recce in the last photo. The confusing and awkward tradition of people popping into the clone thread/groups with "I see your mil rifle theme, but how about I share my own version/interpretation of it, I'm sure you will be interested!" will never die. Such bizarre behavior.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited to keep it clean and on track in here................................................My bad
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]

🤷🏼‍♂️
View All Quotes

🤷🏼‍♂️

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:20:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#4]

🤷🏼‍♂️
View All Quotes

🤷🏼‍♂️

This thread is dedicated to the recce rifles listed in the OP. Every now and then a one off pops up in the wild. A 15.1" RIS II with an AEM5 doesn't belong in this thread. It's a cool setup but not something used or discussed here. The OPS/AE or GWOT concept thread is a perfect place to post and discuss that rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

This thread is dedicated to the recce rifles listed in the OP. Every now and then a one off pops up in the wild. A 15.1" RIS II with an AEM5 doesn't belong in this thread. It's a cool setup but not something used or discussed here. The OPS/AE or GWOT concept thread is a perfect place to post and discuss that rifle.
View Quote

As one of the main instigators I will concede and concur with your assessment...................................................
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AWHAILYEAH:
I was just showing what the so called concept was but I included a pic with a legit built NSWDG in it to keep within the thread title.  It's a cool combo but not an official issued anything. Just some shit they put together out in the field for fucks sake I suppose....................

Pic thread...........................

https://i.imgur.com/vDVNsqx.jpg
View Quote

On a side note what ya'll think I'm missing here color wise?  It's a lil mono toned but not!  It needs something maybe some lighter Kaki/Sand Over Spray or just a lil scuffing and lots of honest wear?  I know it needs an AEM5 that'll happen this summer after I get my youngest son's MSU graduation/party over with and him setup in Atlanta on his own..........
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#7]

On a side note what ya'll think I'm missing here color wise?  It's a lil mono toned but not!  It needs something maybe some lighter Kaki/Sand Over Spray or just a lil scuffing and lots of honest wear?  I know it needs an AEM5 that'll happen this summer after I get my youngest son's MSU graduation/party over with and him setup in Atlanta on his own..........
View Quote

Just needs to match your environment or what you think looks good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Your two colors are very similar to each other. You could use some more contrast imo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Your two colors are very similar to each other. You could use some more contrast imo.
View All Quotes

Just needs to match your environment or what you think looks good.

Yeah that is exactly how I feel about it too.......................It was a rush job on a halfass nice winter day I'll get it straightened out when it gets back from pinning and it's 80+ out.....................................
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Oh yea the MK6 guns were SEAL. I always felt like those rifles were just B2 with more magnified optics, not a whole new list of components in a new configuration so I 100% agree with you.

As for the SEAL Recce vs NSWDG recce names I put in the OP, I guess I always just followed the KD4 term he coined the "SEAL Recce" in his videos and shows he was on. Both guns are strictly DEV rifles so maybe I should just change it to "OG NSWDG Recce" and "NSWDG Recce" as I just wasn't sure what to name the flush fit OPS can on the FF RAS configuration
View Quote

Definitely makes sense to me. I like the change. Keeps the focus nice and narrow and is a good theme.

To keep things on topic, I've had some recent updates to my 416 recce. I've been pretty excited to see in recent leaks MIL-SPEC 1-8 atacrs showing up as replacement for the NAV-SPEC x24s. Seeing them in the mil version of the ultramount (tan). And I was super fortunate enough to score a couple of them so had to get the recce updated to the modern era. I haven't yet seen any new correct options for a red dot, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled, but so far the typical Larue 45° offset isn't awesome because it doesn't clear the UTC's battery housing.

As for the UTC, also been super cool that the Xii has *finally* been showing up in in-the-wild photos and videos. I always knew they used them, but having the proof now is really fun. I was able to source a GDI 1.5" mount for it so it lined up with the newer optics instead of the 1.375" height of the old recce's with NAV-SPECs they were built for, but after installing it I realized my POI shift didn't change at all, so I went back to the lower Larue mount in the hope that I can find a 12o'clock red dot solution to mount on top of the atacr that will clear the UTC when it's mounted.

Having a red dot option I can still passively aim through with my goggles while also using the thermal is the ultimate goal (and something I can do with the Noveske version) but I'd really like to find the "clone correct" way of doing it.

This will probably be my last version of the 416 recce before I start diving in to the Midwest guns and see what they're all about. For now, this is incredibly fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Definitely makes sense to me. I like the change. Keeps the focus nice and narrow and is a good theme.

To keep things on topic, I've had some recent updates to my 416 recce. I've been pretty excited to see in recent leaks MIL-SPEC 1-8 atacrs showing up as replacement for the NAV-SPEC x24s. Seeing them in the mil version of the ultramount (tan). And I was super fortunate enough to score a couple of them so had to get the recce updated to the modern era. I haven't yet seen any new correct options for a red dot, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled, but so far the typical Larue 45° offset isn't awesome because it doesn't clear the UTC's battery housing.

As for the UTC, also been super cool that the Xii has *finally* been showing up in in-the-wild photos and videos. I always knew they used them, but having the proof now is really fun. I was able to source a GDI 1.5" mount for it so it lined up with the newer optics instead of the 1.375" height of the old recce's with NAV-SPECs they were built for, but after installing it I realized my POI shift didn't change at all, so I went back to the lower Larue mount in the hope that I can find a 12o'clock red dot solution to mount on top of the atacr that will clear the UTC when it's mounted.

Having a red dot option I can still passively aim through with my goggles while also using the thermal is the ultimate goal (and something I can do with the Noveske version) but I'd really like to find the "clone correct" way of doing it.

This will probably be my last version of the 416 recce before I start diving in to the Midwest guns and see what they're all about. For now, this is incredibly fun to shoot.

https://i.imgur.com/97bDnAD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s2jNYXm.jpg
View Quote

A beaut as always. I think you'll probably end up seeing 34mm Insight MRDS mounts on the more modern optics. But I also remember a podcast with Bill Rapier stating that the 1-8's and 1-10's really killed the 2.5-10 w/ top mounted dot. I think he's gone on to say that he only reason to do the top dot, in his opinion, is for passive aiming with NODS. So far with all the devgru setups we've seen recently with modern NF scopes, none seem to be sporting piggyback optics.

As for the midwest guns. I've had a midwest upper and all I can say is... it's real light and solid. But didn't do anything to wow me. But I feel that way about a lot of modern rails.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

A beaut as always. I think you'll probably end up seeing 34mm Insight MRDS mounts on the more modern optics. But I also remember a podcast with Bill Rapier stating that the 1-8's and 1-10's really killed the 2.5-10 w/ top mounted dot. I think he's gone on to say that he only reason to do the top dot, in his opinion, is for passive aiming with NODS. So far with all the devgru setups we've seen recently with modern NF scopes, none seem to be sporting piggyback optics.

As for the midwest guns. I've had a midwest upper and all I can say is... it's real light and solid. But didn't do anything to wow me. But I feel that way about a lot of modern rails.
View Quote

Thanks man! Yeah, I wish I could find a 34mm MRDS. When I found out @LsuJon sold his to someone that wasn't me I wanted to slap him hahaha.

Bill is the man. He's the main guy I love training with because he lives just a few min down the road from my family's cabin, so it makes it easy to do vacation + a class at the same time. And exactly, the loss of passive aiming is what really annoys me. Having the thermal capability + passive aiming all on the same rifle is just so damn neat, it's hard to give it up. Active still works fine w/ the laser obv but it's just not the same. I ordered the mount + spacer that KOENG sells today and I'll try it out and see if it gets me what I want. Even if it's not "correct" for now, I can throw it on there for a class or whatever and at least get the capability.

The Midwest guns are really interesting to me purely because of the provenance but I agree with you that I don't think they're going to be as "special" or do anything neat compared to something as novel as a 416. What I'm really curious about is to get some evidence of who's making those stainless barrels, because I think that could be the most interesting thing about them. And given that we've seen a few in 300 BLK it would be fun to do one with the clip on in that caliber … although I still have the MPW clone that fills that role for now. The one thing I do like about the Midwest stuff is just how slim they feel and handle compared to some of the older stuff. As long as the maintain the rigidity, having a slimmer rail seems kinda cool. I like it on the Noveske at least.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks man! Yeah, I wish I could find a 34mm MRDS. When I found out @LsuJon sold his to someone that wasn't me I wanted to slap him hahaha.

Bill is the man. He's the main guy I love training with because he lives just a few min down the road from my family's cabin, so it makes it easy to do vacation + a class at the same time. And exactly, the loss of passive aiming is what really annoys me. Having the thermal capability + passive aiming all on the same rifle is just so damn neat, it's hard to give it up. Active still works fine w/ the laser obv but it's just not the same. I ordered the mount + spacer that KOENG sells today and I'll try it out and see if it gets me what I want. Even if it's not "correct" for now, I can throw it on there for a class or whatever and at least get the capability.

The Midwest guns are really interesting to me purely on because of the provenance but I agree with you that I don't think they're going to be as "special" or do anything neat compared to something as novel as a 416. What I'm really curious about is to get some evidence of who's making those stainless barrels, because I think that could be the most interesting thing about them. And given that we've seen a few in 300 BLK it would be fun to do one with the clip on in that caliber   although I still have the MPW clone that fills that role for now. The one thing I do like about the Midwest stuff is just how slim they feel and handle compared to some of the older stuff. As long as the maintain the rigidity, having a slimmer rail seems kinda cool. I like it on the Noveske at least.
View Quote
It's funny because your responding to the guy who I sold it too  and then who sold it back to me
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]

The Midwest guns are really interesting to me purely because of the provenance but I agree with you that I don't think they're going to be as "special" or do anything neat compared to something as novel as a 416. What I'm really curious about is to get some evidence of who's making those stainless barrels, because I think that could be the most interesting thing about them. And given that we've seen a few in 300 BLK it would be fun to do one with the clip on in that caliber … although I still have the MPW clone that fills that role for now. The one thing I do like about the Midwest stuff is just how slim they feel and handle compared to some of the older stuff. As long as the maintain the rigidity, having a slimmer rail seems kinda cool. I like it on the Noveske at least.
View Quote

I feel like I'm the only one who strongly dislikes those MI equipped rifles. I don't see why they dont have noveske recce uppers with longer barrels, since they have the 10.5" versions.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]

I feel like I'm the only one who strongly dislikes those MI equipped rifles. I don't see why they dont have noveske recce uppers with longer barrels, since they have the 10.5" versions.
View Quote
I mean  did you check the 6arc thread lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I mean  did you check the 6arc thread lol
View Quote

Nope, haha.  6ARC doesn't interest me so never bothered. Is that a DEV Noveske gun?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Nope, haha.  6ARC doesn't interest me so never bothered. Is that a DEV Noveske gun?
View Quote
There is a photo in there of what you esentially described of one of theirs lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#18]
It's funny because your responding to the guy who I sold it too  and then who sold it back to me
View Quote

Hah!! Well glad to hear it’s still in the family!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

🤷‍♂️ It’s a big organization with multiple squadrons with a long history of making custom shit that suits their needs/desires. They have a long history of being picky with barrels & barrel lengths (topic of this thread) and the Midwest thing makes sense me to given it’s one of the most common rails spotted on their 416s. It’s the historical significance and the story behind it that make they cool for me, not necessarily just the configuration itself. But also, there’s only so many ways to do a modern AR. As long as the barrels shoot true and the rails hold zero, I don’t know too much of what there is to pick on.

As for your question about Noveske, the main person that drove winning that contract is no longer at the company and hasn’t been for some time. I personally don’t think it’s likely Noveske will be getting any more significant JSOC/SOCOM contracts anytime soon that are just follow-ons of the 10.5” guns.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Omega9000] [#20]

🤷‍♂️ It’s a big organization with multiple squadrons with a long history of making custom shit that suits their needs/desires. They have a long history of being picky with barrels & barrel lengths (topic of this thread) and the Midwest thing makes sense me to given it’s one of the most common rails spotted on their 416s. It’s the historical significance and the story behind it that make they cool for me, not necessarily just the configuration itself. But also, there’s only so many ways to do a modern AR. As long as the barrels shoot true and the rails hold zero, I don’t know too much of what there is to pick on.

As for your question about Noveske, the main person that drove winning that contract is no longer at the company and hasn’t been for some time. I personally don’t think it’s likely Noveske will be getting any more significant JSOC/SOCOM contracts anytime soon that are just follow-ons of the 10.5” guns.
View Quote

If AAC ever releases the OG honey badger can, I'll build a midwest rail 12.5 .300 blk. The barrels definitely look like Noveske barrels, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Proof Research barrels considering John Clements works there. What I find real interesting about the barrels is they must have the 25 degree for the suppressor. I think the contract AAC guns have it as well, the standard COTS guns didn't.

ETA: I do think the midwest rail is better than the KAC 3.1 URX. Just not aesthetically lol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]

If AAC ever releases the OG honey badger can, I'll build a midwest rail 12.5 .300 blk. The barrels definitely look like Noveske barrels, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Proof Research barrels considering John Clements works there. What I find real interesting about the barrels is they must have the 25 degree for the suppressor. I think the contract AAC guns have it as well, the standard COTS guns didn't.

ETA: I do think the midwest rail is better than the KAC 3.1 URX. Just not aesthetically lol.
View Quote

A group buy from AAC through Bauer for OG Honey Badger cans would be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By usnguns:

A group buy from AAC through Bauer for OG Honey Badger cans would be pretty cool.
View Quote

My man LSUJON is the connect for that. I'm game. Just lets run it towards the end of the year lol I gotta move across country in the next few months.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#23]

My man LSUJON is the connect for that. I'm game. Just lets run it towards the end of the year lol I gotta move across country in the next few months.
View Quote
Pls don't make me go through that again  Lol

I still have people asking me when the FDE m4-2000s coming and all the control is out of my hands lol. But I'll toss the idea out to them.

Also I thought I spied something interesting in the direct thread nature on @tinycrumb 's AAC mpw recent family portrait on instagram.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Speaking of recce. Got this big boy coming in next week. Bottom one with the sling loops is mine.

upload in

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Speaking of recce. Got this big boy coming in next week. Bottom one with the sling loops is mine.
https://i.ibb.co/8dGpyJc/IMG-3407.jpg
upload in
View Quote

Ugh please I'm trying to focus on other things.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Ugh please I'm trying to focus on other things.
View Quote

**insert I will never financially recover from this meme***
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone have details on this rifle? Looks to be a 12th model snugged up to a handguard.  From the 2020 Yemen photos with those MI rail shortys.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have details on this rifle? Looks to be a 12th model snugged up to a handguard.  From the 2020 Yemen photos with those MI rail shortys.

https://i.imgur.com/AgJUnCw.png
View Quote

I'm going to go with an HK416 with a midwest industries rail. It looks too thin to be the standard quad and not round enough to be the DD rail.

I've been hoping to see someone put a midwest rail on an ops inc 416 recce, so I'm hoping this is it. However, the paint sure does break up the lines and makes it difficult to determine exactly what it is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Could be a Remington RAHG
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:22:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#30]

I'm going to go with an HK416 with a midwest industries rail. It looks too thin to be the standard quad and not round enough to be the DD rail.

I've been hoping to see someone put a midwest rail on an ops inc 416 recce, so I'm hoping this is it. However, the paint sure does break up the lines and makes it difficult to determine exactly what it is.
View Quote

Almost looks tano compared to the paint. Stock makes me think it's an sig but could just be a car or some other tiny stock.

But the optic really looks like an NXS with the small turrets and some sort of optic at high noon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:30:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#31]

Almost looks tano compared to the paint. Stock makes me think it's an sig but could just be a car or some other tiny stock.

But the optic really looks like an NXS with the small turrets and some sort of optic at high noon.
View Quote
Stock looks to be a Magpul SL-K. Inforce WML at the 9 o'clock, LA5 at the 3 o'clock and bipod at the 6 o'clock.

Agree that it appears to be a NXS. Possibly a 2.5-10x24 with a bubble level towards the rear and a DPP at the front top. But that's just pure speculation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Slightly different reconnoiter rifle?

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a 14.5 CAG clone. There are a few pics floating around of them. Never seen that scope/stock setup though. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Got bored and set it up like sheffields rig.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Sex
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Got bored and set it up like sheffields rig.

https://i.imgur.com/zTF73o9.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/H3zbUhF.jpeg
View Quote

Man that’s hot. I lowkey wanna build one over a 416 recce some days.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Just found out that D.Wilson isn’t doing AEM/OCL collar work. Who else is the go to person for this work?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Just found out that D.Wilson isn’t doing AEM/OCL collar work. Who else is the go to person for this work?
View Quote

ADCO
Link Posted: Today 2:10:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiffedReload] [#39]
D keyhole upper and BCG
Colt SOCOM
Badger gen 1 tac latch
M249F NT4 cut prototype
Vero MRE RAS

6920 M4 rollmarked lower (landed since pic was taken)
N1 stock
Cheesed Sprinco buffer spring
LSO A2 grip

KAC front QD sling mount (need a rear 🙄 gfl)
KAC 300m rear sight
KAC 1" light mount
SF 660
KAC Vero rail panels
LaRue LT104 (need S&B 1-4)
Early surplus TA11 ACOG as stand-in optic

I'll start assembly as soon as I can remove Colt's impossible weld on the factory muzzle device 🤦‍♂️https://imgur.com/a/R33lFZq
Page / 123
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top