Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2024 9:39:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: T-tipped]
Hello folks, new to the forum. My latest build involves a 20" Lilja barrel chambered in 223 Wylde. It just came in and you can clearly see the shavings and a slight burr from drilling the gas port at the very end of the process. I have never seen this on any Kreiger, Shilen, WOA, or Hart barrel I have used in the past. I have seen it in lower end barrels though. Anyone else concerned about this with paying $550 for a barrel? Supposed to be hand lapped as well.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I attempted to attach a pic but it asks for a URL and will not let me copy and paste the photo. But you can visualize what I’m trying to describe hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#2]
Run a cleaning jag with a patch down it, and go break it in.

Last Lilja barrel I got was a freaking tack driver.  Even with hunting ammo it was impressive.

I would not sweat it.  The burr will burn off with the first couple shots.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: T-tipped] [#3]
Thanks for the feedback. I am a retired Armorer and was maintaining over 3200 AR/M16 platforms in their various forms in the 90’s while in the service. I didn’t get into precision builds until the early 2000’s after I retired. I have built around a dozen high end platforms using Kreiger, Bartlein, WOA. Shilen, and Hart and I have never seen this in a high end barrel. Lilja was the only supplier that had these barrels in stock and ready to ship. That almost worries me as well. Has something happened with this company in recent years or are my concerns unfounded? I don’t want to go through all the work of the build of a $2300 rifle that I will absolutely stand behind only to spend hours working up my best go to loads that will only group 1.5 MOA.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I always clean new barrels with a bronze bristle brush, followed by patches before my first outing. If the bronze brush doesn't remove the burr, a couple of 3000 fps copper jacketed projectiles will.

Gas port burrs are common to virtually all AR based rifles when new. Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I always clean new barrels with a bronze bristle brush, followed by patches before my first outing. If the bronze brush doesn't remove the burr, a couple of 3000 fps copper jacketed projectiles will.

Gas port burrs are common to virtually all AR based rifles when new. Don't sweat it.
View Quote

This... The first 50-100 rounds will deal with it and any machining marks/lines.  This is why your first rounds through a barrel are usually not the greatest and after the first batch of rounds the barrel gets consistent and groups tighten up.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top