[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -buckwheat-:
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:
Originally Posted By -buckwheat-:  I agree, that carrier is rough as hell.

If it's not a bearing surface, does it really matter?

On Gunstagram, everything matters.  

I’d say this matters.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219865/71FD4542-0D7F-4223-93AA-A9F6B06E4216_jpe-2542468.JPG

Just below the carrier key?  If it's rubbing against the upper, maybe?  Or Ruger's tested it & w/ the bolt force of .308, it'll wear in & not matter?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Could Ruger have done a little nicer job with some of the finer points? Yes. I also wish the bore and chamber was chrome lined. Maybe NiB bolt carrier too. I also realize they're working to a price point with these guns. Had they done some other stuff and launched these at $1800 everyone would be complaining about the price.
View Quote

No complaints here, just an observation.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Could Ruger have done a little nicer job with some of the finer points? Yes. I also wish the bore and chamber was chrome lined. Maybe NiB bolt carrier too. I also realize they're working to a price point with these guns. Had they done some other stuff and launched these at $1800 everyone would be complaining about the price.
View Quote

Even $60 bolt carrier groups have smooth bearing surfaces. That’s just sloppy machining, it wouldn’t cost more to do it right.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -buckwheat-] [#5]

Just below the carrier key?  If it's rubbing against the upper, maybe?  Or Ruger's tested it & w/ the bolt force of .308, it'll wear in & not matter?
View Quote

Just below the carrier key is one of the 4 bearing surfaces, 4 spots where surface finish matter. It’s not right.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I also wish the bore and chamber was chrome lined.
View Quote

Meh.  Chrome lining is over-rated and un-necessary, and in some cases have an ill effect on accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Continue to really enjoy mine.

The acog 110 is a nice compliment to the rifle. I ditched the brake and mounted a Wilson combat flash hider. I also dropped the gas setting to '2' after the first 60 rounds.  Rifle was totally reliable for another 100 rounds on that setting.

I have been getting sub MOA groups at 100 yards with Hornady ammo and I find the recoil to be more than manageable.  She's a keeper assuming the bolt doesn't split in half ha!
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
So there's no free lunch. I assume a sub-eight pound 308 will kick like a sub-eight pound 308. Not that it will necessarily be unpleasant but it no doubt won't handle like a 223, either. That's a guess since I haven't fired the SFAR yet.

Externally the gun is very familiar. Effort needed to work the charging handle is more but otherwise everything feels correct. Distance to selector, bolt catch, mag release all feel right. The distance the charging handle travels also feels right. Most 308 pattern guns are sort of "off" with everything kind of being 5% or 10% out of whack. Not so here.

Balance is good. But that's naked and empty. I assume 20 rounds of 168 BTHP will offset the general AR15 feel. But it still should feel more or less correct.

The bolt and barrel extension is where the "magic" happens. Ruger claims to be using some kind of hot rod material in these parts. Lug geometry is also supposed to be improved. Too bad the Armalite crew didn't have modern stress analysis tools.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the bolt and carrier.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/852f127bd39f49b5d58dcbf4c8c6d291.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/30b3084e25108d41a57e87b8caf67bf8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/d729c15578ce3bbe9d951c652d5e93ac.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/27b2a4d2fa4cf059da9c50c2985468e4.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/e8c914c59e865028b4abebeccf96f62f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/c0a8eff479727ca33303c7e397a051ea.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220927/d207a80072971c4077cad86bad88117c.jpg

My opinion may change after I actually shoot this thing but presently I think it is one of the coolest things Ruger has done in a long time. Something like this in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Proof barrel would be pretty much as modern as the modern sporting rifle can get.

View Quote

Perhaps we can call that a "micro sand cutter bolt carrier". It's a performance enhancer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Maybe its just me, but I can't take this review seriously with that scope mount...
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 1811GNR:

Perhaps we can call that a "micro sand cutter bolt carrier". It's a performance enhancer.
View Quote
They are "oil holding groves"
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Meh.  Chrome lining is over-rated and un-necessary, and in some cases have an ill effect on accuracy.
View Quote

You ever have a barrel rust? The gun doesn’t function let alone group.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

View Quote

Um, preventive maintenance?  

I too am in the camp that chrome lining is for rapid fire.  If you don’t want your barrel to rust, that’s what the gun oils are for.  

Chrome IS a detriment to accuracy.  This has been proven over and over.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:33:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#13]

This appears to not fall in line with engineering recommendations for minimum screw flange edge margin (google it). Not saying they didn't do their homework, just saying it's worth monitoring since they dropped the second screw normally attaching gas keys.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Ever heard of oil?
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#15]
My bolt group is smooth. There isn't a single tool mark, chatter, or anything.

Everything was nice and tight. I am hoping to have a range trip this Monday....
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228605/key-2546240.jpg

This appears to not fall in line with engineering recommendations for minimum screw flange edge margin (google it). Not saying they didn't do their homework, just saying it's worth monitoring since they dropped the second screw normally attaching gas keys.
View Quote

They dropped the 2nd screw b/c of the longer stroke of .308 in an AR-15 length frame.  Have you taken a look at POF's?
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:
My bolt group is smooth. There isn't a single tool mark, chatter, or anything.

Everything was nice and tight. I am hoping to have a range trip this Monday....
View Quote

That is encouraging,  thank you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:07:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#18]

They dropped the 2nd screw b/c of the longer stroke of .308 in an AR-15 length frame.  Have you taken a look at POF's?
View Quote

POF's gas key has a thicker base, and has for and aft steps machined into the bc to help lock it into position:

Yes, the edge margin of the POF screw is also less than engineering recommendations, similar to the Ruger. I said in my post this doesn't mean Ruger didn't do their homework, and it doesn't necessarily mean it will have issues.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:

POF's gas key has a thicker base, and has for and aft steps machined into the bc to help lock it into position:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/media/ibwng3k3/pof2.jpg

Yes, the edge margin of the POF screw is also less than engineering recommendations, similar to the Ruger. I said in my post this doesn't mean Ruger didn't do their homework and it doesn't mean it will have issues.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  They dropped the 2nd screw b/c of the longer stroke of .308 in an AR-15 length frame.  Have you taken a look at POF's?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/media/ibwng3k3/pof2.jpg

Yes, the edge margin of the POF screw is also less than engineering recommendations, similar to the Ruger. I said in my post this doesn't mean Ruger didn't do their homework and it doesn't mean it will have issues.

Good to know, and thanks for checking the POF as well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#20]

You ever have a barrel rust? The gun doesn't function let alone group.
View All Quotes

You ever have a barrel rust? The gun doesn't function let alone group.
It's not like its bare steel, it is nitrated.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#21]
This rifle looks interesting. Are there options for re-barrelling to .260 Rem or 6.5CM? I like the adjustable gasblock features and would not want to lose those.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:
This rifle looks interesting. Are there options for re-barrelling to .260 Rem or 6.5CM? I like the adjustable gasblock features and would not want to lose those.
View Quote

Yeah the guys @ 7mmvalkyrie have already made a 27RPR barrel: https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1333502892&postcount=29&forum=557730

It looks like any competent barrel maker (if willing) could spin up a 6.5CM or similar given access to the factory barrel extension. The only thing I'd be concerned about is whether the firing pin is "high pressure" and plays nicely with 6.5CM, .260Rem, etc. As FN (among many others) found out, you can't just drop a 6.5CM barrel into a rifle using a .308 bolt.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
If someone has already conducted a caliber conversion, is it safe to say that there is definitive cross compatibility with AR 15 handguards? Just curious because I found one of these new SFARs locally and I can get into it for under $1k. The rail that comes on the rifle itself just doesn't do it for me as it has limited 12 o'clock rail space and the pattern of it is very unappealing to me. The gun itself is rather light when I compared it to a Stag Arms AR and the Sig Tread, both in 7.62, and both seem like very well built items. Going the SFAR route, for me, would seem practical in the sense that I have extra AR 15 rails laying around that I would swap on to the SFAR so long as they will work. Anyone have some details or opinions that they could share to confirm this?
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jmh556:
If someone has already conducted a caliber conversion, is it safe to say that there is definitive cross compatibility with AR 15 handguards? Just curious because I found one of these new SFARs locally and I can get into it for under $1k. The rail that comes on the rifle itself just doesn't do it for me as it has limited 12 o'clock rail space and the pattern of it is very unappealing to me. The gun itself is rather light when I compared it to a Stag Arms AR and the Sig Tread, both in 7.62, and both seem like very well built items. Going the SFAR route, for me, would seem practical in the sense that I have extra AR 15 rails laying around that I would swap on to the SFAR so long as they will work. Anyone have some details or opinions that they could share to confirm this?
View Quote

Yep, takes pretty much any AR15 handguard. You might need to trim the anti-rotation tabs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Yep, takes pretty much any AR15 handguard. You might need to trim the anti-rotation tabs.
View Quote

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jasonprox700:

I too am in the camp that chrome lining is for rapid fire.  If you don’t want your barrel to rust, that’s what the gun oils are for.  

View Quote

When it happened to me the guns weren't in my custody, in one case I bought a barrel sight unseen and it came rusty. It's mostly theoretically a detriment to accuracy, the recipe for a sub minute chrome lined barrel is known, if you want to pay for it. My first ten shot .75" group that I fired off a rolled up jacket was with a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 1:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#27]
Originally Posted By jasonprox700:

View Quote

Not arguing against nitride as it’s a damn fine treatment, but the quality of the barrel is going to determine accuracy more than the bore treatment. I’ve seen plenty of sub MOA chrome barrels and plenty of nitride duds.

FN for instance was held to a .5 MOA average for their FBI contract across 5 test rifles for 2,000 rounds each and succeeded. This was with chrome lined barrels.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone shot their SFAR with iron sights?

I threw on a set of Magpul MBUS yesterday and zeroed at 50 y. I had to darn near (3 clicks from bottom) bottom out the front sight to do so. The rear took about 16 clicks right windage.

Rifle shoots good though. Portuguese 79-48 all landed in nice tight 5 shot groups.

Guess I'm curious if mine is the exception or if Ruger and Magpul aren't gonna jive.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:  Has anyone shot their SFAR with iron sights?

I threw on a set of Magpul MBUS yesterday and zeroed at 50 y. I had to darn near (3 clicks from bottom) bottom out the front sight to do so. The rear took about 16 clicks right windage.

Rifle shoots good though. Portuguese 79-48 all landed in nice tight 5 shot groups.

Guess I'm curious if mine is the exception or if Ruger and Magpul aren't gonna jive.
View Quote

According to Colt, if you can zero it, it's mil-spec.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:
Has anyone shot their SFAR with iron sights?

View Quote

Is the barrel centered at the end of the rail?  Something is out of wack.  Not a fan of irons on a rail, but for backups I can live with it.  Dedicated iron sight guns should have front attached to the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Is the barrel centered at the end of the rail?  Something is out of wack.  Not a fan of irons on a rail, but for backups I can live with it.  Dedicated iron sight guns should have front attached to the barrel.
View Quote

Yea, appears to be centered, the gas block doesn't seem to touch anywhere. The upper and the rail line up with a straight edge (framing square)
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

The debate of Nitride vs Chrome lined was beat to death several years ago. Done correctly, Nitride is a very good treatment. As far as rust, Nitride protects BOTH the bore and exterior of a barrel. Accuracy wise, given equal quality of the barrel machining, Nitride treatment is arguably more likely to keep precision machining intact, whereas chrome adds material which has the potential to create inconsistencies that did not exist prior to the addition of chrome.

Chrome has benefits for machine gun barrels but I read and experienced enough evidence to decide that there are more advantages to Nitride treatment on both bore and exterior of a barrel for most non-machine gun usage.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:10:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MoGunsBro] [#33]
After only hunting/shooting bolt .308, I'm ready to get .308 semi, and was just about to get the very imperfect but proven Sig 716i when the SFAR came out.

Wow - I love the all of the features/price of the 20” SFAR - and would run it as-is w/a scope (TBD) and offset magpul pro irons - no muzzle brake and no can. Great elk/bear/hog gun - good in the bush, maybe great for distance.

Anyone have experience w/magpul pro offset irons on the SFAR 20" pic rail?

Has anyone shot the SFAR without the muzzle brake and without a can? Curious what the recoil/noise is like w/no brake/can.

Has anyone mag dumped / sent a few hundred rounds down range yet? (I know, I know - that's expensive, but some of you have stashes of .308 lol and aren't afraid to burn thru it). I'm seeing mixed signals on the quality of the SFAR BCG - and my biggest concern with a small frame .308 is can it handle .308 pressure (chamber/BCG). If Ruger cut corners I would rather not be in the guinea pig test group ...

New to this forum - the website is a little overwhelming lol but thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 3:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#34]
I just got home from shooting my 16" SFAR. It is outfitted with the stock muzzle brake and Magpul offset iron backup sights. I topped it with a Monstrum 1-6x24 Spectre LPVO.

It took 7 rounds to sight in the scope and 20 for the irons. Out of the box the Magpul sights were almost 8" low and 6" right at 100 yards. This was why so many rounds to sight them in. Once sighted in the sights functioned just like AR open sights.

The rifle itself was very accurate even with Tula steel case 150 gr FMJ. The muzzle brake works very well taming recoil. Ruger engineering did well. The brake is as loud as the reviews say it is and it does throw a bit of fire to the sides as well.

We put 100 rounds through it without a single issue of any kind. At about 80 rounds I did turn the gas down to setting 2 from the factory shipped 3. It initially threw brass like an HK91 but once broken in and turned down it consistently throws brass about 6 feet in a neat pile.

Love this rifle more than any other 308 semi I have owned.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Two things from my initial outing.

Read the manual. It's a jam nut not a one piece muzzle break. Oh well, came off just fine.  Replaced with a muzzle break to interface with my YHM R9 (see my thread in silencer forum).

The rear face of my ejected brass has little sharp brass tits. I think the brass is flowing into the ejector housing, and encountering some kind of sharp edge during rotation before extraction. I'm not exactly sure, never seen this before.

I fired maybe 40 rounds. This was ammo inc 150 gr from Palmetto.  I can get a picture sometime and post it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ctfish15] [#36]
https://imgur.com/a/8vPtCPn

Album at link. I photographed a few different pieces of brass. Ammo inc, zsr headstamp

Edit
This is apparently called "case head swipe".  Learn something new every day
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/case-head-swipe-from-a-308-jp-lrp07-help-please.190669/
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#37]
That is gnarly. Is that with the gas on the lowest setting? I know some 308's use rifle length gas systems with 16" barrels. Interested to see if you figure out what's going on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
That is gnarly. Is that with the gas on the lowest setting? I know some 308's use rifle length gas systems with 16" barrels. Interested to see if you figure out what's going on.
View Quote

Yep, sure looks over gassed. Mine did not have any swipe at all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
I just got home from shooting my 16" SFAR. It is outfitted with the stock muzzle brake and Magpul offset iron backup sights. I topped it with a Monstrum 1-6x24 Spectre LPVO.

It took 7 rounds to sight in the scope and 20 for the irons. Out of the box the Magpul sights were almost 8" low and 6" right at 100 yards. This was why so many rounds to sight them in. Once sighted in the sights functioned just like AR open sights.

The rifle itself was very accurate even with Tula steel case 150 gr FMJ. The muzzle brake works very well taming recoil. Ruger engineering did well. The brake is as loud as the reviews say it is and it does throw a bit of fire to the sides as well.

We put 100 rounds through it without a single issue of any kind. At about 80 rounds I did turn the gas down to setting 2 from the factory shipped 3. It initially threw brass like an HK91 but once broken in and turned down it consistently throws brass about 6 feet in a neat pile.

Love this rifle more than any other 308 semi I have owned.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/20221009_102103_jpg-2557274.JPG
View Quote

If you just slapped on some BUIS and then went straight to 100 yards, and your first group was off by 8” and 6”, that’s actually amazingly lucky in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I didn't turn it down, but will next outing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

If you just slapped on some BUIS and then went straight to 100 yards, and your first group was off by 8” and 6”, that’s actually amazingly lucky in my opinion.
View Quote

Ya, especially when the front is attached to the rail rather than the barrel
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

It is what it is. It worked out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Agreed, over gassed.  It might be the nature of the SFAR, my 16" sure seems over gassed as well.  On my initial range outing the first 3 rounds were fired with the gas block on the '3' setting as Ruger specified, those rounds ejected at 1 o'clock and landed somewhere in the next time zone.  I immediately dropped the gas to the '2' setting which did help somewhat; even on the '1' setting without a suppressor I can get the rifle to cycle 4 out of 5 rounds, it's just inconsistent enough I bumped it back up to '2'.  

Ruger says in the manual that the buffer and spring are 'proprietary'; really? It's just a standard 3 ounce carbine buffer.  I've played around with an H and then an H2 buffer; the H2 does mitigate the recoil and ejection is a consistent 4 o'clock.  I've got 340 rounds through it as of yesterday.

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

FWIW... I am not a fan of Turkish ammo... the older ZQI 308 ( sold at Walmart for cheap ) was the worst "grouping" ammo I have ever used, it would make shotgun patterns rather then groups.

Did you happen to try any other 308 ammo ?  Did any other brand cases have the same mess on the case head ?
View Quote

Didn't try anything else this trip. I have this, and some metal tula, nothing else in hand.

I did read the manual that says the setting is read from the shooters right. So at least I know what setting I'm on ...

If the buffer is really a carbine buffer that would be easy to swap to H etc. I'm also going to see about a different charging handle (gas mitigation), since I think I read it's the exact same AR15 pattern.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm really puzzled if it's a stock carbine buffer & standard length collapsible stock buffer tube.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm really puzzled if it's a stock carbine buffer & standard length collapsible stock buffer tube.
View Quote

Is a bit odd, where does the energy go? Perhaps the spring is different.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ctfish15:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  I'm really puzzled if it's a stock carbine buffer & standard length collapsible stock buffer tube.

Not really worried about the energy, curious about the stroke of the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

As shipped, it's a standard carbine buffer, weighs 3 ounces.  The receiver extension/buffer tube on the SFAR is longer than a standard length carbine tube.

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

As shipped, it's a standard carbine buffer, weighs 3 ounces.  The receiver extension/buffer tube on the SFAR is longer than a standard length carbine tube.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

Ah, there it is.  Thank you.
Page / 38
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top