BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2023 5:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TejasTACos425]
Hi All,

This looked like the right place to start, but I am open to suggestions on specific threads that might tackle some of the questions I have.

Starting off, I am in the market for an AR15. The purpose would be to have it for home defense and SHTF. Here are some other specifics I am thinking about:

- I would like to run .556 instead of .300 BLK
- I would like to run it suppressed (I understand the requirements for this purchase)

Questions I had:

1. Is a 14.5" barrel length a good sweet spot for something wouldn't be unwieldy in close-ish quarters with a suppressor but could also "reach out" as a SHTF rifle?

2. Daniel Defense is an option offered at my local range and I've seen good reviews for them, as well as Aero Precision and BCM. Any other manufacturers I should be thinking about for complete uppers and lowers that I could pin myself? I am not so price sensitive that I need to have a cheap option - I would prefer a solid build and high quality components. I appreciate that this is my first AR, but I would like to really buy once.

3. Say I bought one lower, could I potentially pin an 11.5" .300 BLK upper OR a 14.5"-16" upper to it? The aim would be to have one cheaper ammo range practice upper and a upper that would give me the option of running .300 BLK down the road if I wanted to.

Open to any and all suggestions and excuse any ignorance. I've researched some options, but so much of this is foreign to me.

Appreciate any advice the community has! Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
First, any barrel length under 16” will require a registered lower. You can have a 14.5” barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider to bring the overall barrel length 16” or more to use on an unregistered lower.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
First, any barrel length under 16” will require a registered lower. You can have a 14.5” barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider to bring the overall barrel length 16” or more to use on an unregistered lower.
View Quote

*Unless it's a pistol
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By joeIII223:

*Unless it's a pistol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

*Unless it's a pistol

Has that AR pistol litigation been settled yet? I haven't kept up.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to arfcom!

Daniel Defense is absolutely well thought of, if price is not an issue for you, get one, you will be happy.

While I don't own one suppressed, a 14.5 with pinned flash hider/suppressor mount, is a great AR, handles well and can definitely reach out there with no problem.

You can pin any other upper you want on your lower, as long as overall barrel length or barrel length with pinned/welded FH is 16" or more. You can not put a shorter barrel upper on that same rifle lower. You will need a lower with a pistol tube or a regular tube with a dedicated pistol brace, you can not put a conventional stock on it unless you file paperwork and wait for approval from ATF for a short-barreled rifle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#5]
I would strongly NOT recommend a pin & welded 14.5 if you plan to run a suppressor because many suppressors require a specific muzzle device to mount their suppressor and obviously if the muzzle device is WELDED to the barrel your flexibility is thus range from very limited options to not possible at all.

For only 1.5" shorter, 14.5 + welded muzzle device doesn't make much sense Vs. the "standard" 16" barrel of most ARs.

I would highly recommend a 16" barrel for your first AR (because you can change muzzle devices super easy) and you can always add a second (or third or more) upper at a later date if / when you are ready.

Hope this helps with your Journey to AR ownership.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 2:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TejasTACos425] [#6]
Thank you for this! I ended up going 16" and went with a PSA that I saw on holiday sale. I had heard enough good about them that I figured it would be a solid starter and I could always go up market later on. It had a nice floating handguard with Magpul furniture and I had seen reviews that the barrel was solid enough. They also have a lifetime warranty so I don't feel too bad about grabbing it sight unseen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TejasTACos425:
Hi All,

This looked like the right place to start, but I am open to suggestions on specific threads that might tackle some of the questions I have.

Starting off, I am in the market for an AR15. The purpose would be to have it for home defense and SHTF. Here are some other specifics I am thinking about:

- I would like to run .556 instead of .300 BLK
- I would like to run it suppressed (I understand the requirements for this purchase)

Questions I had:

1. Is a 14.5" barrel length a good sweet spot for something wouldn't be unwieldy in close-ish quarters with a suppressor but could also "reach out" as a SHTF rifle?

Yes but I think 13.7 is better with 12.5” being the best. If not just go 16”.

2. Daniel Defense is an option offered at my local range and I've seen good reviews for them, as well as Aero Precision and BCM. Any other manufacturers I should be thinking about for complete uppers and lowers that I could pin myself? I am not so price sensitive that I need to have a cheap option - I would prefer a solid build and high quality components. I appreciate that this is my first AR, but I would like to really buy once.

Daniel Defense is always a good option, but there are a lot of good options out there

3. Say I bought one lower, could I potentially pin an 11.5" .300 BLK upper OR a 14.5"-16" upper to it? The aim would be to have one cheaper ammo range practice upper and a upper that would give me the option of running .300 BLK down the road if I wanted to.
You should just run the 300bo in a pistol co fig and form one the lower as you won’t get a muzzle device long enough to P&W it.
Open to any and all suggestions and excuse any ignorance. I've researched some options, but so much of this is foreign to me.

Appreciate any advice the community has! Thank you!
View Quote

There is absolutely no reason you shouldn’t buy this as your first gun, and outfit it as you see fit. The single best deal right now in my opinion.

COLT OEM 2 $750
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for this! I will keep this is mind for a subsequent buy if I ever end up replacing the entry level option.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Welcome to arfcom!

Daniel Defense is absolutely well thought of, if price is not an issue for you, get one, you will be happy.

While I don't own one suppressed, a 14.5 with pinned flash hider/suppressor mount, is a great AR, handles well and can definitely reach out there with no problem.

You can pin any other upper you want on your lower, as long as overall barrel length or barrel length with pinned/welded FH is 16" or more. You can not put a shorter barrel upper on that same rifle lower. You will need a lower with a pistol tube or a regular tube with a dedicated pistol brace, you can not put a conventional stock on it unless you file paperwork and wait for approval from ATF for a short-barreled rifle.
View Quote

Thank you for this! I will keep this is mind for a subsequent buy if I ever end up replacing the entry level option.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
I would strongly NOT recommend a pin & welded 14.5 if you plan to run a suppressor because many suppressors require a specific muzzle device to mount their suppressor and obviously if the muzzle device is WELDED to the barrel your flexibility is thus range from very limited options to not possible at all.

For only 1.5" shorter, 14.5 + welded muzzle device doesn't make much sense Vs. the "standard" 16" barrel of most ARs.

I would highly recommend a 16" barrel for your first AR (because you can change muzzle devices super easy) and you can always add a second (or third or more) upper at a later date if / when you are ready.

Hope this helps with your Journey to AR ownership.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Thank you for this! I ended up going 16" and went with a PSA that I saw on holiday sale. I had heard enough good about them that I figured it would be a solid starter and I could always go up market later on. It had a nice floating handguard with Magpul furniture and I had seen reviews that the barrel was solid enough. They also have a lifetime warranty so I don't feel too bad about grabbing it sight unseen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with PSA. I've had a few of them. (In my opinion) You should look into registering a lower. A 16" is getting pretty long with a suppressor. For a home defense gun something more in the 11.5/12.5 range makes a lot more sense. Especially if you're considering .300BO (which is generally much shorter than that). Also, if you think the .300 is a possibility, when you start looking at suppressors skip the 5.56 ones and go to .30 cal. You can still use it on a 5.56 and it leaves you open to the black out option.
You can do the pistol thing, but since the legality is still up in the air, I wouldn't build/buy one right now. That's just my opinion and not worth shit
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TejasTACos425: ... replacing the entry level option.
View Quote
No no NOOOO! You don't replace them. You get/build another one. You really are brand new aren't you?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:20:40 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:  First, any barrel length under 16” will require a registered lower. You can have a 14.5” barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider to bring the overall barrel length 16” or more to use on an unregistered lower.

*Unless it's a pistol

AR pistols are perfectly legal.  It's been braces that have been on again off again.  As of this week, braces are on again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy a 14.5 pin and welded SR-15 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Tiribulus:
No no NOOOO! You don't replace them. You get/build another one. You really are brand new aren't you?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tiribulus:
Originally Posted By TejasTACos425: ... replacing the entry level option.

somehow n=n+1 works for ar

after n=4 I found out they self-assemble from leftover parts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Might want to consider Solgw for your next purchase
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Colt 6920

This is the standard answer to these threads for good reason.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top