Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2024 7:22:07 PM EDT
I am just getting into night vision.. I am going to get a pvs-14 soon but question is in regards to lighting. If I plan on getting a LAM with an IR illuminator then should I also get a white that has IR capabilities or is the IR illumination on the LAM enough (halosun LE321) for instnace? I like a powerful white light and the SF units that also do IR only go to 350 lumens.

Hope I'm making sense...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Most civvi laser units are somewhat lacking in output on the illuminator.
That being said environment plays a huge role of perceived output.
Most civi units will work well typically up to 70-100 yards.

It would not hurt to run an ir light. Company’s like unity  make a single switch with a dual lead to activate the laser and the aux light simultaneously.

My personal recommendation. Buy once cry once.
Spend the extra time. Go through some reviews and save yourself money in the long run. Get what fits your needs +some. You can always grow into it.

Most affordable option/reccomendation would be a Steiner D2. Awesome illuminator on the civi version. Although it’s rather large/unsightly.

That being said full power units can be found for 1500-1800 all day. Just be aware you will not be able to warranty it.

Side note. Company’s are starting to make “magnifiers/amplifiers“ for civi units that amplify the output of civilian Illuminators. May be worth looking in to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out “custom nightvision” youtube channel.
He has a few good videos comparing lasers/illuminators under nods.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Get this and have both.
https://echoarms.com/products/18350-light-monolithic-twin-mount
Just make sure the heads are compatible with the 18350 batteries.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the info... I was working my way through a new build and I have the host rifle and optics I'm going to roll with, my next step is a light and just didn't know if I should get the dual (SF Vampire) or straight white light. I will take your advice and do some more research... Am I missing something, why are the SF Vampires so low output on the white light side? Is it because it uses the same bulb (led) for IR?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:36:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m not sure the science behind it. I believe they use different smaller diameter emitters.
But typically the dual heads will be a bit of a compromise in comparison to a dedicated unit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#6]
I'm going to br straight with you.

The IR laser illuminator on any LAM that does not cost more than your PVS14 is going to suck.

No one tells you this going into NV.

The civilian laser illuminator on a Steiner DBAL or Holosun is useful out to 70 yards max. Really it is a 50 yard and in thing. To get 300 yard laser illuminator capability you need a VCSEL laser or a grey market full power unit. This is $2000-4000.

If you get a civilian Steiner that is not a D2 or any Holosun IR laser as of this date, you get a 50m illuminator.

If you get a good LAM you don't need an IR capable weaponlight. If you that cheap Holosun you WILL NEED something like a Surefire Vampire or similar. The downside of those combination lights is the IR is not as good as a good LAM and crappy white light output compared to a dedicated modern white light which will have better range and spill for the same size/weight.

Watch some videos on YouTube by Hop. I don't agree with all his points of view, but it should be very educational and give you an idea of the trade offs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DevL:
I'm going to br straight with you.

The IR laser illuminator on any LAM that does not cost more than your PVS14 is going to suck.

No one tells you this going into NV.

The civilian laser illuminator on a Steiner DBAL or Holosun is useful out to 70 yards max. Really it is a 50 yard and in thing. To get 300 yard laser illuminator capability you need a VCSEL laser or a grey market full power unit. This is $2000-4000.

If you get a civilian Steiner that is not a D2 or any Holosun IR laser as of this date, you get a 50m illuminator.

If you get a good LAM you don't need an IR capable weaponlight. If you that cheap Holosun you WILL NEED something like a Surefire Vampire or similar. The downside of those combination lights is the IR is not as good as a good LAM and crappy white light output compared to a dedicated modern white light which will have better range and spill for the same size/weight.

Watch some videos on YouTube by Hop. I don't agree with all his points of view, but it should be very educational and give you an idea of the trade offs.
View Quote

Thank you and everyone for their input on this.. I have not made a decision yet as I have a lot to consider.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top