BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 264
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Picked up a Geiselle upper today

It has an interesting story behind it - supposedly, this is a true "near clone" URG-I, but it being black was only offered to employees. Guy I purchased it from bought it from someone in PA who lived near the Geissele factory and claimed to be an employee. Regardless, I like my tuning fork - and I pulled the REBCG to throw in the Ape Defense one to go with the lower ( the upper hasnt even seen any lube at all whatsoever. )

Was torn between what optics to throw on top ( between an LPVO, Aimpoint PRO, Sig Romeo 4 - or this ) decided to go with this since it also has the integrated laser and IR
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stormhammer:

It has an interesting story behind it - supposedly, this is a true "near clone" URG-I, but it being black was only offered to employees. Guy I purchased it from bought it from someone in PA who lived near the Geissele factory and claimed to be an employee. Regardless, I like my tuning fork - and I pulled the REBCG to throw in the Ape Defense one to go with the lower ( the upper hasnt even seen any lube at all whatsoever. )

https://i.imgur.com/AWYrVy9.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/iqy3GeR.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/BPayb7y.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/ePnkni4.jpeg

Was torn between what optics to throw on top ( between an LPVO, Aimpoint PRO, Sig Romeo 4 - or this ) decided to go with this since it also has the integrated laser and IR
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]

I'll eventually source a Colt lower.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Good!  And put that Geissele BCG back in there!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

Good!  And put that Geissele BCG back in there!
View Quote

lmao - I plan on it down the line
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

https://i.imgur.com/AWYrVy9.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/iqy3GeR.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/BPayb7y.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/ePnkni4.jpeg

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/952F8AAB-D023-4D6C-9DCA-877969C60675-474.gif

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:57:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stormhammer] [#7]

Just for you guys, the Geissele BCG is in
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
While you're at it, maybe source a new rifle too. One that is maybe a clone of the URG-I
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
While you're at it, maybe source a new rifle too. One that is maybe a clone of the URG-I
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's my one to one to a Urg-i.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
https://i.imgur.com/l0c0Tgr.jpg
View Quote

This sir, is amazing
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
https://i.imgur.com/l0c0Tgr.jpg
View Quote

Sir, that is an American Classic! That is probably more Clone correct that half the shit posted in this thread!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I went AWOL long enough to see funnier sh!ts than I expected. Here I am, my inferiority complex flaring like my anemia whenever I reminded myself my URG-I is sitting atop an Aero clone lower.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:46:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#15]
A. Wait and eventually build clone correct 14.5" upper for lower?
B. Trade now for G Near Clone 14.5"?

I have an 11.5" with an M4-A1 SBR'ed lower too so I'd just share that lower with both uppers if I trade. If I trade, the money saved would go towards some LVPO for my new Spear 308.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:

I have an 11.5" with an M4-A1 SBR'ed lower too so I'd just share that lower with both uppers if I trade. If I trade, the money saved would go towards some LVPO for my new Spear 308.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AP1GczMB5-bMBMVdmc1faEAXFx_eWKY_Y0pf84j1JAhygajgzTk81B65wu35C_lDcOBvMdXbLViAZDJCrwY3AYUCou5Ht1MsGvr_LCStXkcSjoVEoIUcmp_E=w600

View Quote

Really depends if care about clone correctness. The G will have their BCG, uppper and barrel/gasblock. Rail, charging handle and four prong will be correct.

I built a correct 14.5 and its great. I also bought a G 10.3 URGI and I really like it.

I wouldn't trade the colt lower if it were me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By -MainDisconnect-:
Really depends if care about clone correctness. The G will have their BCG, uppper and barrel/gasblock. Rail, charging handle and four prong will be correct.
I built a correct 14.5 and its great. I also bought a G 10.3 URGI and I really like it.
View Quote

That or a DD RIS III. Are those a clone yet?

Actually had a 14.5" Near Clone upper for a bit but sold it when built my 11.5" clone correct upper. I was running my Razor on that for a bit but just recently bought a T2/Unity and much prefer it for the length.

The plan was to just build a clone correct 14.5" at some point because I have this spare M4-A1 lower, and now a spare Razor LPVO. Looking at parts, looking at the cost of having D.Wilson p/w, shit maybe I shoulda just kept the G Near Clone!

Someone offered me a G 14.5" upper they had bought during the Black Friday sale for the lower, but I can't decide.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AP1GczMB5-bMBMVdmc1faEAXFx_eWKY_Y0pf84j1JAhygajgzTk81B65wu35C_lDcOBvMdXbLViAZDJCrwY3AYUCou5Ht1MsGvr_LCStXkcSjoVEoIUcmp_E=w600

View Quote

If you’re anything like me, you’ll instantly regret parting with that and try to re-find one only to be shocked how hard or expensive it will be.  Especially for something that is easy to source/build yourself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By -MainDisconnect-:

View Quote
Your G 10.3 is also correct for certain units.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#20]
There's no way I would trade that lower.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Keep that lower, collect parts, and build a 14.5. You might as well, since that lower is already the hardest part.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:58:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#22]
Originally Posted By suitnboots:
I went AWOL long enough to see funnier sh!ts than I expected. Here I am, my inferiority complex flaring like my anemia whenever I reminded myself my URG-I is sitting atop an Aero clone lower.
View Quote

Lower is going to be 99.9% NOT correct.  Even if 80% and correctly marked.  No third pin auto sear.  As long as correct A2 lower style you're GTG.  Just no fixed bowed/enlarged trigger guards.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Lower is going to be 99.9% NOT correct.  Even if 80% and correctly marked.  No third pin auto sear.  As long as correct A2 lower style you're GTG.  Just no fixed bowed/enlarged trigger guards.
View Quote

I know, CD, but at the same time, my stubbornness cause my inferiority complex to flame like nothing else.

But, you know, thanks to you telling me that it's my rifle, and I could have it my way, that I was confident enough to post my rifle back then.

Also, declassification - my pivot and take down pins are titanium, and my trigger guard is polymer. Kept to GI profile and look, of course. LOL!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#24]

I've seen VTAC multicam coyote slings and some unknown (Vickers?) coyote slings in some of your pics I think.

The VTAC and Vickers web sling both seem decent, but the Vickers padded slings don't seem to hold up well, but the VTAC padded slings seem to hold up much better, as far as padded slings go.

I see these4 sling sell with optional "upgraded" or "heavy duty" adjusters, that are metal instead of polymer.

Some people claim the metal adjusters scratch up their rifles and gear.

Do the military purchased slings have metal or polymer adjusters?

It looks like VTAC is the way to go if a padded sling is desired and VTAC or Vickers will do for web slings.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#25]

I've seen VTAC multicam coyote slings and some unknown (Vickers?) coyote slings in some of your pics I think.

The VTAC and Vickers web sling both seem decent, but the Vickers padded slings don't seem to hold up well, but the VTAC padded slings seem to hold up much better, as far as padded slings go.

I see these4 sling sell with optional "upgraded" or "heavy duty" adjusters, that are metal instead of polymer.

It looks like VTAC is the way to go if a padded sling is desired and VTAC or Vickers will do for web slings.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#26]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:

Keep that lower, collect parts, and build a 14.5. You might as well, since that lower is already the hardest part.

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I already got rid of the 14.5" G upper I had with the plans to build a clone correct one after I finished my 11.5" clone correct build. I'd be going backwards to get rid of my spare COLT lower just to get another G upper.

I guess there is no rush, I can piece it together as sales happen. Maybe I can track down a 7000 series, nsn marked, no qd socketed blem rail and save a few dollars.

What is the most correct stripped upper for a clone correct 14.5"? Cage code or just whatever has been seen on COLT rifles?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#27]

What is the most correct stripped upper for a clone correct 14.5"? Cage code or just whatever has been seen on COLT rifles?
View Quote

Just about everything at this point.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I already got rid of the 14.5" G upper I had with the plans to build a clone correct one after I finished my 11.5" clone correct build. I'd be going backwards to get rid of my spare COLT lower just to get another G upper.

I guess there is no rush, I can piece it together as sales happen. Maybe I can track down a 7000 series, nsn marked, no qd socketed blem rail and save a few dollars.

View Quote

Hell, save yourself some time and get the upper from Thoroughbred, which, the only thing that sucks is that they don't put muzzle devices on them beforehand anymore these days. There are FF556 out there that runs at $152 before tax and potentially shipping, so that doesn't take up much, except the last part is pin and weld.

I think G will still fish out a non-QD socket rail for you, if you negotiate with them by phone, that is.

Upper receiver wise, unless you rat yourself out, even an FN will do, or anything milspec without any branding or out-of-the-norm markings, to be honest.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:

View All Quotes

My padded Vickers held up really well through 3 deployments. The issue I had was always having to adjust the slider as it would slowly loosen while walking around. I like the locking feature of the adjuster on the VTAC.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Any HRF magwells observed? Also, does the MK8 barrel nut work with the MK16/URG-I rail?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

My padded Vickers held up really well through 3 deployments. The issue I had was always having to adjust the slider as it would slowly loosen while walking around. I like the locking feature of the adjuster on the VTAC.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info.

I was going by the reviews I've seen on the Internet.

The only complaints I've seen about the VTAC slings are that they are exceedingly long.

One place had them on sale for half price.

I wanted both coyote and multicam slings, but they had sold out of coyote.

So far I've bought one padded multicam VTAC for my 14.5" URG-I and one multicam web VTAC for my 11.5" URG-I.

I haven't assembled the URG-I's yet, but I think I've got all of the pieces now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
Any HRF magwells observed? Also, does the MK8 barrel nut work with the MK16/URG-I rail?
View Quote

HRF mag well has been seen in the wild. FDE.

The Mk. 8 nut doesn't work with Mk. 16. Hell, I don't even know if the Mk. 14 would.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks for the info.

The only complaints I've seen about the VTAC slings are that they are exceedingly long.

So far I've bought one padded multicam VTAC for my 14.5" URG-I and one multicam web VTAC for my 11.5" URG-I.

I haven't assembled the URG-I's yet, but I think I've got all of the pieces now.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, they can be a bit long but when you're covered in body armor, mags, radios, day pack, and all of the other fun stuff it can be beneficial.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Yeah, they can be a bit long but when you're covered in body armor, mags, radios, day pack, and all of the other fun stuff it can be beneficial.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info.

Long? Lol. You adjust them and cut the excess off.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:57:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:

View Quote

Don't cut, "S" fold or run under keepers.  Once its gone, its gone forever.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#36]

The Mk. 8 nut doesn't work with Mk. 16. Hell, I don't even know if the Mk. 14 would.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Why do you say that?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:

Yup. I wanted to keep as much material as possible just in case I'll need it longer at a later time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Why do you say that?
View Quote

Which do you mean, the mag well or the barrel nut? I remembered some random thread on a random forum, many moons ago, asking a similar question, leading me into some rabbit tunnel I don't want to come back to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Which do you mean, the mag well or the barrel nut? I remembered some random thread on a random forum, many moons ago, asking a similar question, leading me into some rabbit tunnel I don't want to come back to.
View All Quotes

Why do you say that?

The barrel nut stuff. As far as I know, the only difference is the 2nd groove. If that's the case, a 2 groove handguard won't work on a 1 groove barrel nut but a 1 groove handguard will work on a 2 groove barrel nut.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#40]

View Quote

My friend in group uses black ones.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283538/438312494_971028954072155_55852412009108-3199473.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. I only saw the FDE something like two years back, and that was the first time one was posted (I think).
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283538/438312494_971028954072155_55852412009108-3199473.JPG
View Quote
Tell your friend in group that isn't clone correct and he should haze himself
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Tell your friend in group that isn't clone correct and he should haze himself
View Quote

He said you can clone his cock and balls lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Gonna need a ref pic
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#45]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#46]

The barrel nut stuff. As far as I know, the only difference is the 2nd groove. If that's the case, a 2 groove handguard won't work on a 1 groove barrel nut but a 1 groove handguard will work on a 2 groove barrel nut.
View Quote

Would it affect torque, zeroing, or such? Genuinely asking, since I have never really attempted to tinker with handguards. BCG and everything else would be open season, but even within the same company, I'm wary of tinkering with different barrel nuts and handguards if they're not meant to be the same set.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Gonna need a ref pic
View All Quotes

Gonna need a ref pic

Casting couch be busy.

Oh and, don't forget to at least hang the rifle nearby.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:39:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: india13c] [#48]

Would it affect torque, zeroing, or such? Genuinely asking, since I have never really attempted to tinker with handguards. BCG and everything else would be open season, but even within the same company, I'm wary of tinkering with different barrel nuts and handguards if they're not meant to be the same set.
View Quote

Geissele has openly come out in the past and said mk14/mk16 barrel nut are exactly the same, but that the mk8/4 barrel nut doesn’t achieve the same lock up.  They’ve never actually explained why.

Weirdly, I’ve done it and it works so I’m not sure what they actually mean but rest assured according to them, the 14 and 16 are at least absolutely interchangeable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By india13c:

Geissele has openly come out in the past and said mk14/mk16 barrel nut are exactly the same, but that the mk8/4 barrel nut doesn’t achieve the same lock up.  They’ve never actually explained why.

Weirdly, I’ve done it and it works so I’m not sure what they actually mean but rest assured according to them, the 14 and 16 are at least absolutely interchangeable.
View Quote

Tango Mike. Looks like one more thing to know for me. I think, for the Mk. 4 and 8, must be due to how their barrel nuts handle the extra materials differently to how the Mk. 14 and 16 handles it, i.e. 4 and 8 is bulkier, while 14 and 16 are, generally, slimmer, and on similar profiles for the latter two.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Tango Mike. Looks like one more thing to know for me. I think, for the Mk. 4 and 8, must be due to how their barrel nuts handle the extra materials differently to how the Mk. 14 and 16 handles it, i.e. 4 and 8 is bulkier, while 14 and 16 are, generally, slimmer, and on similar profiles for the latter two.
View Quote

No idea, but I can tell you I’ve put a mk16 on a mk8 barrel nut with no issue and it locks up perfectly fine.  

Will it have problems long term?  Idk, but Geissele says it’s not as secure but I don’t see why that would be true.  The only thing I did seem to notice is that the mk8 barrel nut groove seems to allow more forward and backward movement to the mk16 than the mk16 nut but lateral movement or how tight it slides on seems to be no different.
Page / 264
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top