Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Hate to do this outside of the EE, but does anyone happen to have a DD rail for these things that they'd be willing to let go of? Wouldn't have to have the octagonal style nut, but would definitely take it with one. This is the last piece of the puzzle for me. Currently have a LaRue Quadrail, but it's just not the same.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTM20] [#3]
Finally managed to get the correct collar for my DD rail. Thanks to everyone that’s helped so far. CLE is spinning me up the barrel, and I still need to track down an A.R.M.S. #32 bipod mount.

Instead of an ACOG, I’m leaning towards using the optic from this in the wild picture, i think it’s a Nikon P-Tactical scope.

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JTM20:
Finally managed to get the correct collar for my DD rail. Thanks to everyone that's helped so far. CLE is spinning me up the barrel, and I still need to track down an A.R.M.S. #32 bipod mount.

https://i.imgur.com/2EkFAMjl.jpg

Instead of an ACOG, I'm leaning towards using the optic from this in the wild picture, i think it's a Nikon P-Tactical scope.

https://i.imgur.com/SLk2xExl.jpg
View Quote
Turrets look like SWFA or Leupold. Is the parallax adjusted on the objective bell or is that just wear?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 5:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTM20] [#5]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Turrets look like SWFA or Leupold. Is the parallax adjusted on the objective bell or is that just wear?
View Quote

Looks like the parallax is adjustable on the objective bell. I dont know the source of the image, but that would help IDing the scope.

It might be a Tasco Super Sniper. Wilson Combat did make a version of the scope mount with 30mm rings, but i cant seem to find one.  

https://maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#6]
Don't know if this has been posted. so here it is:

For those who were asking (finally found it):

from the USAMU Custom Shop, for the Army M16A4 and M4 Carbine SDM-R barrels -- flutes were cut using a "Hertel" brand 3/16 x 3/16 ball nose carbide end mill running .0093" deep.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#7]
Originally Posted By Sinister:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrNakx3lStY

from the USAMU Custom Shop, for the Army M16A4 and M4 Carbine SDM-R barrels -- flutes were cut using a "Hertel" brand 3/16 x 3/16 ball nose carbide end mill running .0093" deep.
View Quote

Thanks for the video.  I'm finally getting some keyholing with m193 in my gun, 1-2 rounds per mag.  Didnt see any issues with hornady frontier 75gr.  Gonna clean out the copper and see if it fixes the issue, otherwise I'm looking for a new barrel.  I'm currently around 15k on this gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:

Thanks for the video.  I'm finally getting some keyholing with m193 in my gun, 1-2 rounds per mag.  Didnt see any issues with hornady frontier 75gr.  Gonna clean out the copper and see if it fixes the issue, otherwise I'm looking for a new barrel.  I'm currently around 15k on this gun.
View Quote
Saying it's time for a new barrel is an understatement.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Sinister:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrNakx3lStY

View Quote
U just gave me the info I need to make things myself lolz :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Superior barrels was good to me, too bad they aren't around anymore.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Now that CLE is closing, what's a good place to get a krieger turned?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
John Holliger or John Scandale are two of many.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 5:49:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#13]
Originally Posted By ArpaioFan:
Now that CLE is closing, what's a good place to get a krieger turned?
View Quote

White Oak Armament occasionally has them in stock, along with Bartlein, Broughton and Shilen. If you already own the Krieger blank, I don't know if they would machine it, I don't know why not.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#14]
With CLE closing their doors to the public and WOA saying they don't do gas block pinning, who would you guys recommend to pin a KAC FSGB? ADCO?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 6:26:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#15]
Originally Posted By siles76:
With CLE closing their doors to the public and WOA saying they don't do gas block pinning, who would you guys recommend to pin a KAC FSGB? ADCO?
View Quote

d.wilsonmfg? I think they do it, but can't get to their site at the moment to verify.

Edit: https://www.dwilsonmfg.com/Folding-Front-Sight-Installation_p_33.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
S H A M E L E S S

OK OK I'll get going
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's an interesting piece of history, it's a KAC gen 1 FSGB with matching Krieger/CLE barrel that was apparently used in the KAC SAM-R testing. I've owned these parts for probably over a decade, and they've just gathered dust in the back of the safe.

Are these rare? I'm assuming that these parts would probably be good for a correct USMC SAM-R clone build, right? No idea what to do with them, I really don't want to work on another build. Back in the safe they go, I guess.

I also found a photo of some of the KAC SAM-R test rifles, all 5 of those test rifles are using the gen 1 FSBG like the one I have. It's also interesting to see them using the Triple Tap instead of the A2 flash hider (as issued).

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
Here's an interesting piece of history, it's a KAC gen 1 FSGB with matching Krieger/CLE barrel that was apparently used in the KAC SAM-R testing. I've owned these parts for probably over a decade, and they've just gathered dust in the back of the safe.

Are these rare? I'm assuming that these parts would probably be good for a correct USMC SAM-R clone build, right? No idea what to do with them, I really don't want to work on another build. Back in the safe they go, I guess.

I also found a photo of some of the KAC SAM-R test rifles, all 5 of those test rifles are using the gen 1 FSBG like the one I have. It's also interesting to see them using the Triple Tap instead of the A2 flash hider (as issued).

https://i.imgur.com/RSZaOsJ.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/HPKenXY.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Ztb1Bve.jpeg
View Quote

First-world problems.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Bridge that gap.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:22:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#20]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:

https://i.imgur.com/RSZaOsJ.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/HPKenXY.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Ztb1Bve.jpeg
View Quote
That one looks just like the one USMC samR I had to make a barrel nut for. If I get to machining this 4140 base, I'm doing it like that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I just managed to source a Gen 1 FSGB, and now I'm waiting on a Krieger barrel from WOA since CLE closed their commercial sales 2 days before I got it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I just managed to source a Gen 1 FSGB, and now I'm waiting on a Krieger barrel from WOA since CLE closed their commercial sales 2 days before I got it.
View Quote

Speaking of WOA, anyone here use their SDM barrel? Seriously considering one now that a CLE is out of the question.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Speaking of WOA, anyone here use their SDM barrel? Seriously considering one now that a CLE is out of the question.
View Quote

Woa is amazing. My mod H can do half moa. My BCM-R above has their 20" SPR on it and it's boringly accurate at .75" nice lil triangle groups all day. I'd totally go with them if the profile is right for your liking.

Seriously, for the price it's a quality item.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

They don't have a sexy following like Noveske, but the majority of people shooting WOA barrels are high power competitors; they're good to go with a decades long track record.  My replacement barrel will come from them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Camaro69396] [#25]
DELETED
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ringer706:
Alright, working on a drawing right now for the old-style faceted DD handguard nut for the SDM-R. Not going to do steel barrel nuts, this is the handguard nut only. Going to up front, it will probably be a little pricey. Can't say anything for certain before I have a quote back from the machine shop and for hardcoat anodizing, but my ballpark guess is that it'll be in the $100-$200 range since I'm probably only going to make ~25. Again, and I can't say it enough, that number is very much subject to change. It's not the cheapest/easiest part to machine. There's probably a reason they went to a mostly turned nut later on with only a few milled flats. Hint: $$$

What I really need to go forward is to know if that's feasible for anyone looking. Probably going to need to do a waitlist to get it off the ground.

Gentlemen, thoughts?

@FrankW134

@Cyclic240B

@M16Alpha2

@eaglefive
View Quote

What ever became of this? I'd be more than interested in an octagonal collar for my rail.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Camaro69396:

What ever became of this? I'd be more than interested in an octagonal collar for my rail.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ringer706:
Alright, working on a drawing right now for the old-style faceted DD handguard nut for the SDM-R. Not going to do steel barrel nuts, this is the handguard nut only. Going to up front, it will probably be a little pricey. Can't say anything for certain before I have a quote back from the machine shop and for hardcoat anodizing, but my ballpark guess is that it'll be in the $100-$200 range since I'm probably only going to make ~25. Again, and I can't say it enough, that number is very much subject to change. It's not the cheapest/easiest part to machine. There's probably a reason they went to a mostly turned nut later on with only a few milled flats. Hint: $$$

What I really need to go forward is to know if that's feasible for anyone looking. Probably going to need to do a waitlist to get it off the ground.

Gentlemen, thoughts?

@FrankW134

@Cyclic240B

@M16Alpha2

@eaglefive

+1, still holding my breath.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#28]

+1, still holding my breath.
View Quote

Same. Though I'll now have to have mine shipped to family in another state if it comes to fruition.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lt1_sport] [#29]
So how many people are looking for an octagonal collar?  I currently have one on my SDMR build that I could reverse engineer and make.  Just debating taking the time to machine a batch and go through the hard coat anodizing process as the batch charge is $150 minimum.  I already have the aluminum bar stock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#30]
whats the story with Compass Lake ?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BSOG1] [#31]
to calm the storm a little i have a White Oak MK 12 Mod 0 put together by ADCO back in the day that is probably my most accurate AR ever.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By lt1_sport:
So how many people are looking for an octagonal collar?  I currently have one on my SDMR build that I could reverse engineer and make.  Just debating taking the time to machine a batch and go through the hard coat anodizing process as the batch charge is $150 minimum.  I already have the aluminum bar stock.
View Quote

I would be interested
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
whats the story with Compass Lake ?
View Quote

If I understand correctly, they stopped making barrels for commercial sales, but are shifting to contract work instead. Just barrels though I'm pretty sure. They're going to finish all the barrels already in queue. Very glad I bought my SDMR barrel in 2022.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#34]
northhampton county PA here. how did you the barrel work for you ?
who else could provide a SDM/R barrel ?

If I understand correctly, they stopped making barrels for commercial sales, but are shifting to contract work instead. Just barrels though I'm pretty sure. They're going to finish all the barrels already in queue. Very glad I bought my SDMR barrel in 2022.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#35]
to calm the storm a little i have a White Oak MK 12 Mod 0 put together by ADCO back in the day that is probably my most accurate AR ever.
View Quote

I had one of those years ago.  They were great.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]
yes, fantastic barrels. everyone on other boards are stroking out about CLE. there are plenty others out there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#37]
northhampton county PA here. how did you the barrel work for you ?
who else could provide a SDM/R barrel ?

View Quote

Northumberland county here. I haven't put any rounds through it yet as I've been gathering all the parts. Not trying to cut any corners and go as clone correct as possible so I've been gathering my parts for about 3 years. The cloner struggle haha! I have the upper all together, currently working on the lower. Planning on slaying groundhogs with the setup this summer!. As for other places to get barrels, I can't say. I went with CLE specifically from the start as they're the ones who made the real things for the AMU. I'm going to let others with more experience answer that one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#38]
let us know how she shoot’s, I’ll get pics posted
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:00:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#39]
Back in 2019ish, I was on duty and decided to get some pictures.

I recently built this VERY LOOSELY SAM-R inspired rifle.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#40]
https://youtu.be/zKC5DPMDOKA
My contribution  to the thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#41]
The ever elusive Daniel Defense octagonal handguard nut got me feeling the SDMR blues! Last piece of the puzzle. Gotta love it! Great thread here by the way!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Every few months I pop in this thread and makes me sad that I can't find a KAC FSGB to make my dream come true.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:
Every few months I pop in this thread and makes me sad that I can't find a KAC FSGB to make my dream come true.
View Quote

PM inbound.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I've read from veterans that the SDMRs were issued with an Otis cleaning kit. I've seen multiple different styles of Otis M16 cleaning kits and I'm not quite sure which is the one. Does anyone have any more info or photos of the correct one issued with SDMRs?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:15:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SchlaffTablett] [#45]
I’ll see if I can dig one up but iirc, it was the rectangular one that came with the Gerber needle nose pliers. That would have been 2009/10.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#46]
I've read from veterans that the SDMRs were issued with an Otis cleaning kit. I've seen multiple different styles of Otis M16 cleaning kits and I'm not quite sure which is the one. Does anyone have any more info or photos of the correct one issued with SDMRs?
View Quote

In 2004 it was either the buttstock kit or the round black M16/M4 marked pouch.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

I believe there's one on gunbroker currently but it ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

$2K+ and the joker has the nerve to charge $22.50 to ship it.

At this rate I'll be able to cover a down payment on a house with a complete SAM-R upper.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

At this rate I'll be able to cover a down payment on a house with a complete SAM-R upper.
View Quote

Carl Labbadia is vero defense. hes on facebook. he usually has one for sale.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

I still have mine, I just hate seein' people have no option other than to get completely ripped off.
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top