BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2023 8:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HardTymeZZZ]
There was a rumor that PSA purchased all of there equipment to make magazine's.
Does anybody know if this is true?
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Center Industries bought the tooling.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HenryGirard] [#2]
CI bought it all - the tooling, equipment, material, processes, Surefeed trademark.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HenryGirard:
CI bought it all - the tooling, equipment, material, processes, Surefeed trademark.
View Quote

Is this a good thing?  Serious question. I’m in the dark here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Last week I received four 20-round "OKAY Surefeed" magazines purchased from Rock River Arms.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1750

I have no idea "who-owns-what" as far as tooling.

But I can tell you the magazines I bought cost $14 each, no tax and free shipping over $100

This is what I got last week:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HenryGirard] [#5]
Originally Posted By sunnybean:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sunnybean:

Tough to say. Just because Center has experience manufacturing the 30rd USGI mags, doesn’t mean they’ll uphold the quality magazine that Okay once produced. Not many know, but even the two companies had different manufacturing processes and quality standards when it came to the 30rds. Time will tell. My advice, find some Okay mags!
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Rock River Arms still has some stock of okay manufactured mags in their inventory.  Not sure how long they will last, especially now that the word is out.  Also, Nhmtg is Okay manufactured, but not sure if all their remaining stock is Okay manufactured.  For straight 20s, probably one of the last places to be able to buy some Okay manufactured mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Last week I received four 20-round "OKAY Surefeed" magazines purchased from Rock River Arms.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1750

But I can tell you the magazines I bought cost $14 each, no tax and free shipping over $100

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/Untitled_jpg-3058077.JPG
View Quote

Man you had to post that. Now I have more 20'ers ordered and I need more mags like a need a new hole in my head lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 12:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#8]

Tough to say. Just because Center has experience manufacturing the 30rd USGI mags, doesn’t mean they’ll uphold the quality magazine that Okay once produced. Not many know, but even the two companies had different manufacturing processes and quality standards when it came to the 30rds. Time will tell. My advice, find some Okay mags!
View Quote

Yep. Potentially a very good thing, assuming Center Industries wants to have a commercial product line and puts the effort in.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
PSA is selling H&R 20 and 30 round aluminum mags not sure if it was made in old Okay tooling or not but I am planning on picking up some of each as well as some of the Brownells 30 round aluminum mags.
No experience with H&R mags but I have 4 of the 20 round mags from Brownells and they have work very well over the 4 years I have had em. Lots of use no issues.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
I think we saw the same post. I ordered 6 of the 20-rounders and I got them last week. Surefeed indeed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#11]
The PSA/H&R 20 round mags have the same style feed lips and floor plate as a GI 30 round mag, same as the Brownells, which apparently aren't made any more from looking at Brownells website. That said, I have a few Brownells 20 rounders and haven't had an issue. They'll just be different, to a purist.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
The PSA/H&R 20 round mags have the same style feed lips and floor plate as a GI 30 round mag, same as the Brownells, which apparently aren't amde any more from looking at Brownells website. That said, I have a few Brownells 20 rounders and haven't had an issue. They'll just be different, to a purist.
View Quote

Thanks for the confirmation. Also yes I just noticed that myself that Brownells is no longer offering the 20s. Shame I really enjoy them. I’ll definitely be grabbing some H&R.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, it's a bummer Brownells seems to be dropping their line of GI mags. I assume it's because the .gov contracts for them have dried up?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:  Yeah, it's a bummer Brownells seems to be dropping their line of GI mags. I assume it's because the .gov contracts for them have dried up?
View Quote

And why compete w/ H&R in the fickle retro market?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, it's a bummer Brownells seems to be dropping their line of GI mags. I assume it's because the .gov contracts for them have dried up?
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/5-56-magazine-shortage/17-783777/?page=1#i8615353
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Oh, sweet. For some reason I thought Brownells made their GI mags in house, not sub'd out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Oh, sweet. For some reason I thought Brownells made their GI mags in house, not sub'd out.
View All Quotes

At one time they did manufacture their own. But, manufacturing isn’t their strong suit. Okay was making them for Brownells, private label for at least three years prior to Okay selling the Surefeed line.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

At one time they did manufacture their own. But, manufacturing isn’t their strong suit. Okay was making them for Brownells, private label for at least three years prior to Okay selling the Surefeed line.
View Quote

Co-Line did them for awhile.

"2006

Co-Line signs first Department of Defense contract, partnering with Brownells to produce the ammunition magazine for M16, M4 and AR15 rifles.
"

https://colinemfg.com/
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

It was pretty obvious who was making them for that period before the D&H made 30's appeared.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Thanks for the info, I ordered eight 20-round mags from them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#21]
RRA stocked up on 20s, I assume because they sell so many at Camp Perry.  They have all been Okay as far as I've seen.  They'll probably be the last source of them, I would assume.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By a390st:
Center Industries bought the tooling.
View Quote

That is disappointing.  

My experience with Center mags has been less than confidence inspiring.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks again for the heads-up. My order was delivered today.

[/img]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:22:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#24]
I think I'm good for 20's for a while. These are my spares...

10 - Original straight PMAGs
10 - Original Colts w/metal followers (rebuilt)
and now 10 - Okay Surefeeds
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:20:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#25]
I bought a bunch of the CDNN refinished reimport 20 round mags years ago. I had to replace the original corroded springs in a few and no idea what they did to the aluminum body when they refinished them to make them look correct and new. Supposedly they were reimported from Israel.
The best deal on twenty's I ever got was Botach back when they were in CA and hard to deal with. A during the ban sale on like new 20's at a killer price came up but my order never shipped. Called called called customer service and finally someone who was in the stock room answered. He looked up my old ordered and visual went and checked the stock and then sent me the last of them he had. All of these were old metal follower mags.

Didn't D&H make straight 20 round mags for a while once before the curved 20 round ones showed up?

Because Center has always been a Gov. type contractor even with Okay tooling I doubt they will enter the civilian marketplace.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Why can’t I stop buying magazines?
I bought some on the exchange because i am compelled to buy sure feeds every time I see them. Then I get the heads up on these and I’m in for ten more. Mainly because I had to get the cost per down in my mind.
I have a problem.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By neight:  Why can’t I stop buying magazines?
I bought some on the exchange because i am compelled to buy sure feeds every time I see them. Then I get the heads up on these and I’m in for ten more. Mainly because I had to get the cost per down in my mind.
I have a problem.
View Quote

No, sir.  Not a personal problem.  The problem is your government repeatedly trampling on your Constitutional Rights, hence you protect yourself with magazines, guns, and ammo as the  Founding Fathers intended.

Can you imagine George Washington being informed of how many magazines on average future Americans would posses - and thinking of half-buried storage buildings for black powder?  He would be impressed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 8:33:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#28]

View Quote

I’m stacked so deep in mags… and here I go again. Too good of a deal to pass up
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

I’m stacked so deep in mags… and here I go again. Too good of a deal to pass up
View Quote

Price is right.

If you think you might have use for them, you didn’t do wrong.

I can say for certain that I don’t have enough time left to wear out the mags I own. Even if I went to the range EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Maybe could use a few SIG 226 9mm mags, and a few Ruger MK II mags. Maybe two or three 1911 mags. Although really just for convenience. I can’t wear out the ones I have.

It’s a weird place to be in life to have enough gear that there is no chance of consuming it in the time that’s left.

Maybe one more automobile (barring major accidents).

If I don’t gain/lose a lot of weight, I think I’m even good for jeans until the end.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#30]

It’s a weird place to be in life to have enough gear that there is no chance of consuming it in the time that’s left.

If I don’t gain/lose a lot of weight, I think I’m even good for jeans until the end.
View Quote

There's a lot to be said for preparedness.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

That is disappointing.  

My experience with Center mags has been less than confidence inspiring.
View Quote

They actually add another spot/plug weld top and bottom on the spine, no one else does this at all.  Nobody i know has ever noticed this tidbit either!  But the only issues I've ever heard were some not dropping free but thats literally about it.  Them buying the name and process and everything I would expect them to maintain what was though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:33:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#32]
Originally Posted By HardTymeZZZ:
There was a rumor that PSA purchased all of there equipment to make magazine's.
Does anybody know if this is true?
View Quote
Knock It Off - this isn't GD.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:44:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#33]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:52:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoveskeFan] [#34]
So, anyways, I ordered some more 20 rounders from RRA.  I hope they're still in stock and everyone here didn’t clear out their inventory.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#35]
So who is making the RRA 30 ROUND ALUMINUM MAGAZINE?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#36]
Originally Posted By bolt241:
So who is making the RRA 30 ROUND ALUMINUM MAGAZINE?
View Quote

At the top of this thread there is a poster that states the 30rd mags they received from RRA are marked NHMTG… which were made by okay iirc.

On another note, I ordered 20’s from rra on 12/30 and they didn’t take the money until 1/4. Don’t have a ship notification yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm surprised anyone has NIB mags from 2012. As the prior posted stated the 30 round mags were marked 2012.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#38]

At the top of this thread there is a poster that states the 30rd mags they received from RRA are marked NHMTG… which were made by okay iirc.

On another note, I ordered 20’s from rra on 12/30 and they didn’t take the money until 1/4. Don’t have a ship notification yet.
View Quote

They haven't hit my card yet for the order I placed 22-DEC. It did show as a pre-authorization but it's gone now. Guess I should call them next week.

ETA: Al my old orders still show as "being processed". I don't think I ever received a ship notification from RRA. They ship USPS so they tell me via email when a package is on the way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By eric496:

They haven't hit my card yet for the order I placed 22-DEC. It did show as a pre-authorization but it's gone now. Guess I should call them next week.

ETA: Al my old orders still show as "being processed". I don't think I ever received a ship notification from RRA. They ship USPS so they tell me via email when a package is on the way.
View All Quotes

Yea.. I swear I’ve ordered from them one other time years ago and i didn’t get sent tracking on that occasion. Doesn’t matter to me, just an FYI to others.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreatWaputi] [#40]
They were closed from 12/22/23 - 1/2/24.

I didn't get tracking for my order last month but the mags showed up within four to five days.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#41]
In case anyone wants to place a small order for the mags from RRA thru 31-JAN. https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1750

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#42]
In case anyone wants to place a small order for the mags from RRA thru 31-JAN. https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1750

https://www.rockriverarms.com/images/specials/freeship-2024-jan.png
View Quote

thanks, ordered 5 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 3:19:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#43]
Got them today. Never received tracking fwiw.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Got them today. Never received tracking fwiw.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/IMG_4401_jpeg-3086896.JPG
View Quote

They still haven't hit my card. Will probably call this week.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#45]

They still haven't hit my card. Will probably call this week.
View Quote

I ordered 10 for $112. They charged my card $1.01 and then returned the $1.01.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I would be surprised if anything Center purchased or owned found its way to the civilian market on purpose. Didn't D&H make straight 20's for a while before the curved ones came to market?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RTOinIraq:

I ordered 10 for $112. They charged my card $1.01 and then returned the $1.01.
View Quote

How did you get them for $11.20 each?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GreatWaputi:

How did you get them for $11.20 each?
View Quote

I was mistaken....I ordered 8.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bolt241] [#50]
Originally Posted By neight:
Why can’t I stop buying magazines?
I have a problem.
View Quote

I am having the same problem. I have even bought a few of the heavily used Colt 30 round mags.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top