User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2023 12:13:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac]
Over the years I've spent a lot of money experimenting w/new optics, lights and other gear just because it looked to have interesting/new capabilities.

Fast forward to today, and last week I stumbled upon something new on Amazon from Olight, the PL Turbo with 800 lumens and *66k candela* (wait, what???):

It happened during one of Olight's Fanday Sales so cost was only $67 plus tax. At that price I figured it was worth experimenting with and I could always return it for a refund if desired.
Prime had it here next day and at first there didn't seem to be much to differentiate it from other similar Olight/Streamlight products.
Until I took it to the range...

I did a direct nighttime comparison between the PL Turbo (800 lumens, 66k candela) and a Streamlight TLR-1 HL (1k lumens, 20k candela).

The PL Turbo has the most defined hotspot & spill cone I've ever seen. Hotspot is tight, measuring appx 21" at 18'. Spill is appx 60 degrees.
By comparison, the Streamlight's hotspot & spill cone are about twice the diameter but not nearly so well defined.
Situational awareness at very close range is better w/the Streamlight.

At measured ranges, target detail w/the PL Turbo at 100yds is about as good as the Streamlight at 50yds and the PL Turbo at 200yds (farthest measured distance I tested) is as good as the Streamlight at 100yds (w/the Streamlight at 200yds, I could just barely make out the target frame, no detail at all). With sufficient target contrast I would have no difficulty engaging targets at 200yds w/the PL Turbo.

The PL Turbo also did a much better (but not perfect) job of penetrating muzzle blast when shooting.
While handgun-friendly, I believe the PL Turbo is best suited for long gun applications, although I would like to see a lockout feature to prevent accidental activations.
As it is, I found using my support hand thumb to be very easy & natural w/o having to change my grip.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at the PL Turbo's performance, looks like we finally have candelas for the poors!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
So will that be a turbo charged explosion?

Let us know how it holds up
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered 3 of them on the recent sale and like them so much that I remoulded the kydex that I carry my CZ P-10 C in and it now wears a PL Turbo Valkyrie in place of the PL Pro that is usually there.  

Werkz also did a review on them.  

Olight PL Turbo vs Surefire X300 (Best weapon light)

I am now a Yellow Diamond member with Olight and have access to buy early release beta versions of upcoming lights (I have to sign an NDA, so don't ask) and I am going to be working on them to release a rifle version or an SF DF compatible head with this LED and reflector.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:
I ordered 3 of them on the recent sale and like them so much that I remoulded the kydex that I carry my CZ P-10 C in and it now wears a PL Turbo Valkyrie in place of the PL Pro that is usually there.  

Werkz also did a review on them.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHID-Rujpbw

I am now a Yellow Diamond member with Olight and have access to buy early release beta versions of upcoming lights (I have to sign an NDA, so don't ask) and I am going to be working on them to release a rifle version or an SF DF compatible head with this LED and reflector.
View Quote

Ooh! Keep us posted, please!
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#4]
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
So will that be a turbo charged explosion?
Let us know how it holds up
View Quote

I've used and still use a number of Olight products over the years, no kabooms yet!
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn’t even notice it was a thumbscrew instead of that old not great throw lever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
As posted on other threads, I've got several Olights and have had absolutely no mechanical failures with moderate use. I had one out of the box(Odin GL) on an SP5 that had a weird yellow tint I couldn't get over so I sent it back. They had a a replacement to me in a matter of a couple of days with no questions asked.
I think mrgunsngear does a pretty good review on them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

Ooh! Keep us posted, please!
View Quote

Will do.

I just went outside to start my pellet grill for lunch and took this picture of the hotspot on sunlit concrete at 11:20 AM on a cloudless day.    The claims made about the throw of this light are not exaggerated.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
One other thing that should be mentioned; Olight now has a lifetime warranty on their lights sold from January 1st 2023 onward.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
One other thing that should be mentioned; Olight now has a lifetime warranty on their lights sold from January 1st 2023 onward.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't have believed it, but this guy was hitting white-painted steel at 500yds at night w/the PL Turbo on a scoped AR:
Torture Test: Olight Valkyrie PL Turbo
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought one of the LEP turbo "handgun lights."

I think it will go on a rifle instead.

Streamlight 650 lumen handheld (Polytac).  Horse trailer across the yard, road, field - maybe 115 yds. out.  

Attachment Attached File

Notice how it lights up the grass/trees/bushes/fence in my yard.

Now the Olight LEP (not LED, LEP) 250 lumen weapon light.

Attachment Attached File

Can't see anything in the yard.

Lights held above my head and pictures take with my I phone.

Gonna have to play with it to see how it does on a rifle.  Not sure it's what I need on a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:

Streamlight 650 lumen handheld (Polytac).  Horse trailer across the yard, road, field - maybe 115 yds. out.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154326/IMG_3970_JPG-2966828.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154326/IMG_3974_JPG-2966829.JPG

Gonna have to play with it to see how it does on a rifle.  Not sure it's what I need on a handgun.
View Quote

I had briefly considered the Olight LEP but, as you demonstrated, the lack of spill nixed it for me. That's the nice thing about the PL Turbo, it has nearly the LEP's throw but still provides a decent amount of spill.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Olight makes some nice lights. I've had 2 in regular use over the last 2-3 years and have had zero issues.

First one is the Warrior X3, which puts out 2500 lumens and 78k candela. It's not my edc, but does live strapped to the roll cage of my Jeep. I do a lot of night time rock crawling and it helps for both spotting obstacles and when doing recon walks to precheck what's out ahead. It's been dropped numerous times and rolled over once by a 40x13.5 @ 12psi. A bit ugly looking but still works as good as ever.

Second one is a Baldr Pro R, which puts out 1350 lumen and 10k candela and has an integrated 5mW green laser. It lives on my 12g Mossberg Shockwave. I prefer hip shooting it, hence the aiming laser. After 500+ rounds it has never even flickered once from recoil. My only complaint is with the laser aiming screws, which feel a bit chinsey and vague. They lack the tactile feel and definitive adjustment clicks of a typical rds or whatnot. Still, it seems to be holding true.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:37:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#14]
Mine will be here today, can compare to the PL Pro and Valkyrie Turbo LEP (on a RFB), this should be somewhere in the middle.
Have only had one Olight die (Seeker 2 battery) that saw a lot of use and they replaced it with a Seeker 3 for free.
The PL2 minis don't hold a charge great, but i just top them off every few months.

@chevrofreak
They need to make a super low profile rail or Mlok light like the PL2 or BaldrS with a fixed mount and tail switch.
Think the smallest package for 12:00 or offset on a carbine/SBR

Sigurd is a neat concept, have one on the shelf, but it's too fat, switches are in the wrong place and no slick Mlok option.

ETA, there's also a market for micro pistol specific fixed mounting.
Would love the lumens and laser from a Baldr Mini on a P365/X/XL without having to stack adapters.
Doesn't even need to be a new light, just some aluminum clamshell clamps to attach the current light without the QD lever mount.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]
They're getting there. Ditching the magnetic charger was a great move. Love the mounting and lockup system. The issues with this one are;

Green-tinted light. Smallest issue, but could make ID of the color of a garment worn by someone illuminated tough.

Switches push inward. Skill issue, I suppose, but it means if I use the light for momentary it's throwing of shots left-right. Far prefer a push-forward switch.

Only showstopper is IPX6. This is heavy rain protection, not 'I fell in a pool/stream/water pooled in the bottom of my holster' protection. Duty lights are generally IPX 67-68 and rated for full submersion at a shallow depth for 30 or more minutes.

Still, a great showing for $67. It won't replace a duty light yet, but it can absolutely be tossed on a gun under the premise that any serious gun needs a light. I don't know if olight can get their QC consistent enough at these price points to raise the IPX rating to at least 67, but if they do they'll put a ton of pressure on the bigger names.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:11:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#16]
Originally Posted By tkopp:
They're getting there. Ditching the magnetic charger was a great move. Love the mounting and lockup system. The issues with this one are;

Green-tinted light. Smallest issue, but could make ID of the color of a garment worn by someone illuminated tough.

Switches push inward. Skill issue, I suppose, but it means if I use the light for momentary it's throwing of shots left-right. Far prefer a push-forward switch.

Only showstopper is IPX6. This is heavy rain protection, not 'I fell in a pool/stream/water pooled in the bottom of my holster' protection. Duty lights are generally IPX 67-68 and rated for full submersion at a shallow depth for 30 or more minutes.

Still, a great showing for $67. It won't replace a duty light yet, but it can absolutely be tossed on a gun under the premise that any serious gun needs a light. I don't know if olight can get their QC consistent enough at these price points to raise the IPX rating to at least 67, but if they do they'll put a ton of pressure on the bigger names.
View Quote

Check out some of the torture test videos on YouTube. The PL Turbo to date has taken pressure hose washing for 3 minutes and pool/bucket immersion w/flying colors. I agree I'd want a better rating if I jumped out of helicopters or similar for a living (I'm too old anymore for that nonsense ) but so far looks good enough for anything a civvie might throw at it. Fingers crossed.

I did another night shoot last night w/a friend, and I didn't notice, nor did he comment on the reported green tint, don't know what to say about that except it doesn't seem to be a problem for us.
ETA: Against a white wall in my darkened garage, I compared the color of the PL Turbo and the TLR-1 HL simultaneously and can see the previously mentioned green tint of the PL Turbo, but I don't think I'd have noticed it otherwise and it certainly doesn't interfere w/my shooting at night.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154326/IMG_3970_JPG-2966828.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154326/IMG_3974_JPG-2966829.JPG

View Quote

I also have a Valkyrie Turbo, and it definitely isn't as useful as the Turbo Valkyrie.   Yeah, the naming is going to get confusing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
@chevrofreak
They need to make a super low profile rail or Mlok light like the PL2 or BaldrS with a fixed mount and tail switch.
Think the smallest package for 12:00 or offset on a carbine/SBR

Sigurd is a neat concept, have one on the shelf, but it's too fat, switches are in the wrong place and no slick Mlok option.

ETA, there's also a market for micro pistol specific fixed mounting.
Would love the lumens and laser from a Baldr Mini on a P365/X/XL without having to stack adapters.
Doesn't even need to be a new light, just some aluminum clamshell clamps to attach the current light without the QD lever mount.
View Quote

I also have a Sigurd and it isn't that impressive as it is.  If they made a Sigurd 2 with the reflector and LED from the PL Turbo it would be a great upgrade.

As to your other requests...... 🤫
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't get the Olight Hate. So one exploded in some dudes mouth. Whats that tell you?

Stop deep throating the things and they won't explode in your mouth.

In all seriousness it sounded more like a bad battery issue. Reminds me of those cheap vape pens with lithium rechargeable batteries.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
google surefire light explodes. its the lithium batteries, when you put crazy high demand on them. they are made for camera use not "ALLTHELUMENS"
That said I use Olights at work as they are the only ones who make the form factor I want for EDC at work, and I am on my 3rd light in 5 years. they are decent but not bomb proof.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
google surefire light explodes. its the lithium batteries, when you put crazy high demand on them. they are made for camera use not "ALLTHELUMENS"
That said I use Olights at work as they are the only ones who make the form factor I want for EDC at work, and I am on my 3rd light in 5 years. they are decent but not bomb proof.
View Quote

I've been in the flashlight world for a couple of decades, and back when 60 lumen incandescent 2 cell CR123a lights were all anyone carried, they were exploding left and right.   The problem was so common, yet misunderstood, that an engineer for Garmin that was part of Cabdlepowerforums built a rig to force failures.   He would place a partially used cell in series with a new cell and turn on the bulb.  He would observe the voltage of the cells, and could see when the partial cell fully depleted, and observed that it started to reverse charge.  In 100% of cases, this resulted in an explosion.  Cheap chinese made cells, at least back then, were found to have such different capacities that even when two brand new cells were used, this same situation could occur.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#22]
As to your other requests...... 🤫
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I am now a Yellow Diamond member with Olight and have access to buy early release beta versions of upcoming lights.
View Quote

I'm lowly platinum, closing in on diamond
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#24]

I'm lowly platinum, closing in on diamond
View Quote

Hurry up!  It's worth it 😉
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#25]
As long as we're on the subject of possible future PL Turbo upgrades...

1) I don't need the strobe function but ditch the 'press both toggles to activate strobe' function, it renders the strobe nearly useless. Instead, go to the same 'quick double-tap' used on other Olights for switching between high & low to activate the strobe.

2) For a long-gun version, easiest would be to keep the main body as-is and simply replace the double-toggle backplate w/a dedicated long-gun backplate (toggle & remote port and maybe a lockout feature?),
2b) Or take a page out of Streamlight's book and provide both a user-swappable handgun dual-toggle backplate and a dedicated long-gun backplate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I too picked up a Turbo on the last sale.  Very impressed with concentrated hot spot, yet still maintaining some amount of spill.

I have two other PL3 Valkyries on other rifles and like them a lot.  Really like the non-rechargeable in WML's.

On my Olight wishlist for these lights:

1- Can change batteries without having to unmount the light.  Not a huge deal, but I carry the allen wrench in my grip in case I need to when afield.

2- Lockout function.  You can jerry rig lock it out by opening the battery compartment then hits the rail and there is not enough room to have the batteries fall out. But stuff can still get inside.

Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I think their biggest detriment is pricing. Those of us who are old school remember when their lights were dirt cheap. Now they’re pushing within $100 of high end US lights and that’s a hard sell.

They need to work on waterproofing too. The reason they struggle with that is their internal battery approach. From loose fitting port covers to magnetic charging contacts getting fried, it’s just not a good approach if they want to be taken seriously.

Their rifle light mounts also need work. My buddy messed his Odin up barely bumping a barricade. It had some weird T mount clamp thing and it bent leaving the light forever loose. Olight replaced it but they really need to switch to Scout mounting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
I think their biggest detriment is pricing. Those of us who are old school remember when their lights were dirt cheap. Now they’re pushing within $100 of high end US lights and that’s a hard sell.

They need to work on waterproofing too. The reason they struggle with that is their internal battery approach. From loose fitting port covers to magnetic charging contacts getting fried, it’s just not a good approach if they want to be taken seriously.

Their rifle light mounts also need work. My buddy messed his Odin up barely bumping a barricade. It had some weird T mount clamp thing and it bent leaving the light forever loose. Olight replaced it but they really need to switch to Scout mounting.
View Quote

The 4 lights in my post above, even the LEP, were all $100 or less.  Watch for big sales, usually come with new releases.
Also, the Odin (and mini) has threaded holes for standard scout mounting, but the screws holding that mount to the body are pretty small.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#31]

The 4 lights in my post above, even the LEP, were all $100 or less.  Watch for big sales, usually come with new releases.
Also, the Odin (and mini) has threaded holes for standard scout mounting, but the screws holding that mount to the body are pretty small.
View Quote

Good to know. And I don’t hate Olight. Actually bought one with the integrated laser for my dad to put on his 1911 and he loves it. He’s never going to do stupid shit that I do though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#32]

View Quote

On sale, I paid like $63 for the PL Turbo.  The Javelot Tac can be had for under $100 on one of their sales, and the mount on that is machined into the body of the light, unlike the Odin that has it screwed on.  It has a ton of throw as well.  I put one on my PSA JAKL 300BLK SBR using a Magpul scout mount and it is solid AF.  I wish they made a version with a different (bigger) battery.

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Which high end US lights?
The X300 is really the only mainstream US made pistol light and they're a lot more than $100 more than this olight.
The TLR1HL is obvious main competitor at the ~$100 price point and they're still more like $120-130 at best vs this at $70-90.
I greatly prefer the TLR-1 style switch to the TLR-7/olight style switch, and I hate stroke- I mean strobe, mode on any light.

If we're talking rifle lights then I'm not familiar with olight's offerings or pricing, but the Protac HL-X is still Chinese and $120-140 depending on if it comes with cr123as or an 18650, and the surefire/modlight/cloud lights are all ~$250-300+

I'd rather have olight push for more reliability/durability/actually better features (like battery replacement without dismounting, better controls, better water proofing, etc vs bs features like more colors/modes/magnetic whatever), than a dive to the bottom on prices.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

The X300 is really the only mainstream US made pistol light and they're a lot more than $100 more than this olight.
The TLR1HL is obvious main competitor at the ~$100 price point and they're still more like $120-130 at best vs this at $70-90.
I greatly prefer the TLR-1 style switch to the TLR-7/olight style switch, and I hate stroke- I mean strobe, mode on any light.

If we're talking rifle lights then I'm not familiar with olight's offerings or pricing, but the Protac HL-X is still Chinese and $120-140 depending on if it comes with cr123as or an 18650, and the surefire/modlight/cloud lights are all ~$250-300+

I'd rather have olight push for more reliability/durability/actually better features (like battery replacement without dismounting, better controls, better water proofing, etc vs bs features like more colors/modes/magnetic whatever), than a dive to the bottom on prices.
View Quote

Just quick searching an Olight Odin with the MLOK mount is $160-$200. A Cloud REIN with a modern switch, 18650 battery, and a quality charger is $300.

The price ratio is where my mind hesitates, and that is of course personal preference. I can justify a Chinese T2 copy for $100 when the real thing is $700. I personally can’t justify a $150 Chinese light when a U.S. made bulletproof light is $300.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Just quick searching an Olight Odin with the MLOK mount is $160-$200. A Cloud REIN with a modern switch, 18650 battery, and a quality charger is $300.

The price ratio is where my mind hesitates, and that is of course personal preference. I can justify a Chinese T2 copy for $100 when the real thing is $700. I personally can’t justify a $150 Chinese light when a U.S. made bulletproof light is $300.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

Like I said, not familiar with Olight rifle lights, but for pistol/pdw lights the $65-90 for the light this thread is about beats the pants off the Surefire X300 or M340/640 Turbo lights for north of $300.

I would like to see Olight (or anyone) push out a scout pattern, tailcap switch  only, high candela, dual fuel light for the $60-90 range for me to put on .22s and the like.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Amazon has this back on Black Friday sale.

Been on my wish list, saved me almost $30

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#37]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Amazon has this back on Black Friday sale.

Been on my wish list, saved me almost $30

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77154/4893F353-EEBA-4B49-A4AF-5A6D304F3291-3034377.jpg
View Quote

Olightstore is also having a big sale right now.

My girlfriend's Armed Women of America chapter did a meeting on weapon lights last Wednesday and a few of the ladies asked me to order lights for them on this sale.   They were very impressed by our i5R's and the PL Turbo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#38]
I have now replaced all my handgun & rifle WML's w/the PL Turbo.
I think I have a problem (I can quit anytime, really, I can! )

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:34:55 AM EDT
[#39]
got mine yesterday from the sale. it is impressively bright. throws 100 yards easily. I would say the box label of 500feet throw is about right. makes my regular valkyre like seem weak.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Picked one up when they were about $58 shipped. Can't go wrong at that price. Put it on my P320. Works great. Compared it next to my buddy's Surefire turbo in the daylight and I had him beat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got one for my AR. This thing is bananas. Short, light, uses cr123. Just wish it had a lockout.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:45:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#42]
For those who are curious, here's a shot at my local range.
The 50yd target is slightly to the right of the hotspot, the hotspot is centered on the 100yd target and the 200yd target is barely visible in the back.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#43]
For those who are curious, here's a shot at my local range.
The 50yd target is slightly to the right of the hotspot, the hotspot is centered on the 100yd target and the 200yd target is barely visible in the back.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Olight_1_jpg-3099014.JPG
View Quote

That's impressive for a weapon light. Is it the same size as a standard tlr-1?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#44]
Originally Posted By SpankMonkey:
That's impressive for a weapon light. Is it the same size as a standard tlr-1?
View Quote

Roughly, perhaps closer to a Surefire X300?

ETA: Slightly longer than the TLR-1, slightly shorter than the X300: 3.76"(SF)>3.53"(OL)>3.39"(ST)
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#46]

ETA: Slightly longer than the TLR-1, slightly shorter than the X300: 3.76"(SF)>3.53"(OL)>3.39"(ST)
View Quote

Almost exactly the same size and shape as the X300 Turbo.  I bought one just to be able to compare it to the Olight PL Turbo and I *hate* the switches on the Surefire.  I put it on an MP5k clone so that the ability to press straight forward on the switches is actually useful.

The Olight has a better beam quality, more intense and yet wider hotspot.  I don't see how anyone can possibly think the Surefire is worth 4x the cost.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I think the big honkin flashlights days may be numbered with lights like this. I was looking at a Surefire Mini scout pro before I saw this topic. This Olight doesn't protrude past the front sight post.

by
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By greyeyezz:
I think the big honkin flashlights days may be numbered with lights like this. I was looking at a Surefire Mini scout pro before I saw this topic. This Olight doesn't protrude past the front sight post.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53485471154_172653b1ef_b.jpg by
View Quote

This Olight has a lot going for it. I have a number of minor complaints, but they're just minor, no deal-killers for me.
The only significant complaint is I'd like to see a lockout feature of some kind (instead of a strobe, how about holding both switches down for 3-4 seconds to enable lockout?), 'cause right now all it takes is an inadvertent tap for a accidental activation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Olight claims ridiculous output but short run time, it drops out of Hi quickly.  Unless they changed that.
No way I'd trust one over Streamlight or Surefire.

They buy reviews by giving away lights to anyone on YouTube with a following.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:12:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#50]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Olight claims ridiculous output but short run time, it drops out of Hi quickly.  Unless they changed that.
No way I'd trust one over Streamlight or Surefire.

They buy reviews by giving away lights to anyone on YouTube with a following.
View Quote

They are upfront about the runtimes.
Are you claiming Mrgunsngear has been bought for his review?:
Olight Valkyrie PL-Turbo Weapon Light: High Candela On A Budget? ??

Or that these test results were faked?:
Olight PL Turbo vs Surefire X300 (Best weapon light)

You NEED To See This!..Guaranteed for life, PL Turbo!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top