Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2024 6:53:53 PM EDT
There may be a thread on this from a while ago, but I cant find it. I’m looking for opinions from those who have it, positive or negative.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I like mine. Be advised, some uppers (like my Aero slick side) require some file/dremel work for it to open fully.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s a dust cover. Does it open and close? Great.

Beyond that it’s virtually inconsequential.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
It works just fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
I like mine. Be advised, some uppers (like my Aero slick side) require some file/dremel work for it to open fully.
View Quote

I’ve had to file a couple to function on Aero M4E1 threaded (non-“enhanced”) uppers. Not a big deal. On mil spec uppers they fit/function fine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
got the MagPul and the Strike Industries, both work just fine.  

I think I like the MagPul better, it's got spring loaded steel pivot pins, the SI has self sprung polymer.  

both have under 500rd on them, no failures.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I just use the factory, mil type. Tried and tested in more severe conditions than I hope to ever experience, and they've proven themselves. The polymer may work, but also may go bad due to the heat warping it over time, banging around on stuff etc.

Might be ok for a play gun, but I wouldn't put it on a serious weapon. You've got an easy option that's proven itself in super harsh conditions since @1960. I don't see any advantage in changing it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
I just use the factory, mil type. Tried and tested in more severe conditions than I hope to ever experience, and they've proven themselves. The polymer may work, but also may go bad due to the heat warping it over time, banging around on stuff etc.

Might be ok for a play gun, but I wouldn't put it on a serious weapon. You've got an easy option that's proven itself in super harsh conditions since @1960. I don't see any advantage in changing it.
View Quote

Much like polymer vs metal mags, polymer doesn’t deform like metal does when “banging around on stuff”. And how much “banging around” does a dust cover see?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By racer765:
got the MagPul and the Strike Industries, both work just fine.  

I think I like the MagPul better, it's got spring loaded steel pivot pins, the SI has self sprung polymer.  

both have under 500rd on them, no failures.
View Quote

I'm not usually a fan of strike industries stuff but their dust cover works well and the price is right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#10]
Haven't had a problem with the plastic Daniel Defense dust cover on my 11.5".
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried one, hated it, because when open, it would rattle, rather than stay flat against the upper under spring pressure the way the G.I. one does.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#12]
What problem does the OEM cover have that needs a Magpul solution?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#13]
I had one malfunction and break. I forgot what exactly I did but it wasn’t during firing. It got stuck halfway open either pulling or inserting the bolt with it shut. Gave it a nudge shut and snap. The little retainer tab had apparently popped out just enough to get wedged against the receiver on the underside.

It still works, just have to be a little more surgical when removing. I won’t be buying anymore. I even reached out to Magpul but they don’t do the customer service thing anymore.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:14:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theguymontag] [#14]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

I'm not usually a fan of strike industries stuff but their dust cover works well and the price is right.
View Quote

Same.

Playing around with both I preferred the Strike Industries version. UDC $15.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the magpul polymer dust cover. The only reason I bought mine is I switched out my DD upper for a different one with an aluminium one. I have the DD ambi lower but the place where the bump is for the dust cover has the section cut out so its not full length on the lower. I realize the DD one had a polymer cover and the lower has the bump missing for the dust cover to hit so it dings it up strangely. Decided to switch to a polymer one for the purpose of protecting the lower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I like both Magpul and Strike Industries dust covers.  Easy to install.  No rattle.  No damage to the lowers.  No friggin c-clip.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
So far I'm not impressed with it. I originally bout it for an Aero slickside upper and it wouldn't fit. The area where the cover hinges was out of spec and didn't give enough room for the plastic cover. I then put it on a Spikes milspec upper and it mostly works. It's tight snapping open and closed. Might loosen up over time. Still wouldn't recommend it.
From now on it's milspec covers for me on all new builds.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Why does every part on an AR15 need to be changed to a custom part?  Just why?

You’re killing me Smalls.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:
Why does every part on an AR15 need to be changed to a custom part?  Just why?

You're killing me Smalls.
View Quote
If you're putting together a new rifle there's nothing that says we all have to use the same stuff.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
View Quote

No Magpul logo on OEM?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Installation, mostly.  OEM is a bitch and requires the barrel nut to be off.  And the spring can be a PITA to install.  And the tiny U-clamp on the long pin can fall off - seen it happen.  

Where the MagPul is really easy to install.   Some people don't like the metal-metal contact of OEM.

Me - I run OEM and generally see MagPul dust covers as a tell of someone who wanted a shortcut/easier install, when I see one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:27:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#22]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Installation, mostly.  OEM is a bitch and requires the barrel nut to be off.  And the spring can be a PITA to install.  And the tiny U-clamp on the long pin can fall off - seen it happen.  

Where the MagPul is really easy to install.   Some people don't like the metal-metal contact of OEM.

Me - I run OEM and generally see MagPul dust covers as a tell of someone who wanted a shortcut/easier install, when I see one.
View Quote
All of this and guilty as charged. I wish they made the same or similar design in a steel version though. Could be done, but would be considerably more expensive to produce. I'm always a bit concerned about the rear mounting pin breaking off.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

View Quote

I like the SI angled mlok sling qd, with a three point sling the force isn't normal to the mlok slot so the qd has a bunch of side force on it.  seems gtg so far.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
If you're putting together a new rifle there's nothing that says we all have to use the same stuff.
View Quote

Except the majority of people aren’t doing this.  Most are ripping perfectly good parts off their rifles because they are bored and want to chase the latest fad.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Except the majority of people aren’t doing this.  Most are ripping perfectly good parts off their rifles because they are bored and want to chase the latest fad.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Some people just have no artistic flair.  

How many people running stock dust covers, claiming that aftermarket is unnecessary, are running aftermarket furniture, grips, handguards, charging handles, etc...

If the AR was "perfect" from the beginning we would still be running A1 or A2 grips and stocks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh.  Please tell me how the existing dust cover has failed and how it has held you back as shooter.  And, then please tell me how the new one has changed your life for the better.  

At some point, it just starts being ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:04:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#28]
Oh.  Please tell me how the existing dust cover has failed and how it has held you back as shooter.  And, then please tell me how the new one has changed your life for the better.  

View Quote

The Magpul one is better for big bore uppers with an enlarged ejection port IMO

The OEM spring will protrude into the middle of the ejection port slightly. Risking a malfunction or marring brass you want to reload.  The Magpul spring is toward the front and is also reninforced with polymer. So less of an issue.

That's the only reason I went out of my way to get one honestly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Even H&K when they designed the 416 decided on a ploymer dust cover. The idea is that the aluminum one will morph and not create a tight seal in dusty environments. I don't know how true that is.

The only reason I went with polymer is since DD went with polymer and it seems like it's to prevent the lower from being dinged since it's not cut in a standard way like other lowers with the full bar that lets the aluminum door rest after opening.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I like the Magpul dust covers a lot. I wouldn't, and haven't, removed a perfectly fine "traditional" style cover just to replace it, but when starting from scratch or changing handguards, etc., sure, they're super cheap. It's just a small, incremental improvement over an outdated part. I did have to shave one down at the hinge portion to fully open with a non-mil-spec upper, which was quick, easy and isn't obvious aesthetically.

I have had an Aero cover's steel portion become loose and rattle, which is just janky. I tried the Strike cover when they came out but the set screw loosened and extended the ball detent, causing a malfunction by not letting the door open properly, so it went straight into the trash.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Yep. Shortcutted the hell out of this bitch.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:08:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rkangel777] [#33]
Some people like vanilla ice cream.  Some like to customize their vanilla ice cream with caramel syrup, sprinkles and chocolate chips on top.  Neither way is particularly life-changing, but if you don't like syrup, sprinkles and chocolate chips, don't eat them.  If you like them, go to town.  If you don't like that others like them or don't like them, then the problem isn't the syrup, sprinkles or chips.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15341/20240421_163111-3194549.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15341/20240421_163111-3194549.jpg

Some envy!  (and not much judgement) - the SFAR comes with too tight of a handguard that contacts the gas-block; becasue Ruger thought that's fine.  So I've been screwing with it.  They also use the handguard to retain the conventional dust-cover pin.  So sure as shit, there I am, trying to reset the F'ing spring after THAT inevitably slid forward during all the on/off stuff.  Man conventional ones are a PITA.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I like how I can put a little more ODGreen on my rifle. Its neat.

As for a functional upgrade? A dust cover is laughable. Have you read the paragraphs of nonsense on the FCD EPC? Dimples for checking in low light situations? LOOK DOWN. The angle of the EPC is slightly more out so you can swipe up and close easier / faster? Are guys putting "closing your dust cover" split times on practiscore?

Closer ready? Standby!....BEEEEP *click*. Oh man!! That was intense!! I almost got my dick caught in it that time but I think my hours of dry closing really paid off! I'm down to .004 seconds now!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Let's make a titanium one, so we can save 2/10 ounce.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

This.  Unnecessary and expensive, but hey it's your money.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

View Quote

They actually made it worse.  A standard AR dust cover has a "ramp" in the middle to prevent you from bending it when attaching to the lower if you forget it close the cover.  The more you know.

Of all the parts on an AR that I've never considered replacing, that ones at the top.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#39]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

They actually made it worse.  A standard AR dust cover has a "ramp" in the middle to prevent you from bending it when attaching to the lower if you forget it close the cover.  The more you know.

Of all the parts on an AR that I've never considered replacing, that ones at the top.
View Quote

To be fair when the magpul pmags came out people were just like you. Yet it's probably one of the most significant change to the AR world. Not saying their dust cover is going to take off but it's not junk as you're describing. I would imagine their dust cover is not an "upgrade" but rather intended for builders to select when they get an upper. I don't think the purpose was to take an existing dust cover that works and put a polymer one on it for no reason. In my case, the lower is cut differently but the factory upper came with a polymer dust cover and magpul happens to be the only one I know of.

Personally I like magpul products and try to use as much of them as I can on my AR. There are a few magpul products I don't like but I think I tried all of them to some degree. I have a total of 7 items on my AR right now that's Magpul. I'm planning to get their metal rear sight but still not sure if I want that yet. I even have their wrench and that block that you can put in the magwell or upper. I have a lot of their mags as well. I think the only thing I don't like is their sling. Never liked it as it was too thick for my liking. I also don't like their mbus site or their hanguards though I do like it to some degree when I see others with them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#40]
No issues with mine after lots of rounds. No rattle, stayed closed/open when needed, etc.

I wouldn't rip off a milspec cover for it, but if I was building from scratch go for it. It makes install easy too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I haven't used the Magpul dust cover. I have used the Strike Industries Ultimate on a couple billet uppers. They are adjustable so you can get the desired latch tension on uppers that may not be quite in spec.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#42]
I have one that I bought for an Aero no-forward-assist upper, stripped.

So I said to myself, "self, this upper has no dust cover. And you hate messing with fiddly parts where it's not really important. Maybe give this Magpul number a try the next time there's a sale someplace!" Plus it was a chance to add a little bit of something other than black to the upper.
And I did that.
Like another poster, up above, I think I'll be doing a little material removal because after installation, it's really not especially good about moving about its hinge. Dragging on the receiver bosses, it feels like.

Next time, I probably won't bother going fancy and will likely just deal with the annoyance of installing the regular A2 type. And then painting it, or maybe doing some Alumahyde before installation.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:47:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#43]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701: They actually made it worse.  A standard AR dust cover has a "ramp" in the middle to prevent you from bending it when attaching to the lower if you forget it close the cover.  The more you know.
View Quote
The Magpul cover lacks the ‘ramp’, but is designed in such a way that it accomplishes the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
The Magpul cover lacks the ‘ramp’, but is designed in such a way that it accomplishes the same thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701: They actually made it worse.  A standard AR dust cover has a "ramp" in the middle to prevent you from bending it when attaching to the lower if you forget it close the cover.  The more you know.

Yeah and that ramp has left its mark on my transferable RR lower so I'm not a fan. Some folks cannot accept advances in materials and design that improve things. I also believe they're less noisy than their metal counterparts, a plus for a hunting gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top