Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2024 9:40:07 PM EDT
I’ve gotta admit, from about 2010-2020, I was up to speed with the AR trends.   From 2020 on, I got heavily involved in PRS and competitive bolt rifle shooting, and haven’t kept up to date on a lot of the gas gun stuff.   WOW, have things changed in just a few years.  Checking in on the forums, trends and gear have sped up light years in just a couple years.  I still use a Colt EPR 11.5 for duty, and get a lot of trigger time, but the civilian market these days just has so much new shit.

I had a bcm recce 14 (mcmr rail/elw barrel), with an A5 buffer system, OKW 18650, and razor Gen 2E and thought my setup was relatively up to speed.  Now I’m looking at some of the stuff on the market and I feel like I have a 10 year old MacBook.

How dated is my setup at this point ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d say you’re still ahead of the curve.

Economy of scale is the name of the game now, and it’s leveled the playing field.
A good shooting rifle is still a good shooter, and this from a guy who thinks hits at 500 with a carry handle are the measure of success.

My 0.02.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A good majority of all the trends are pretty dumb. Most stem from guntoobers starved for content so they fixate on some oddball thing and tout it as the greatest thing ever.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDSledge] [#3]
When I look into my clothes closet I see outdated.  When I look into my gun safe I see gear that never gets outdated.  About the only thing I have upgraded to new tech lately is earpro and optics.  If you have a solid platform that gets the job done I don't see a need to upgrade.  Maybe optics.  Unless someone comes up with something incredibly innovative and desirable I'm sticking with my setup.   It is definitely time to clean out my clothes closet though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
People are still fighting wars with M16a1s.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JerseyRaised:
....market these days just has so much new shit.
View Quote

Exactly a whole lotta shit. Most of it way overpriced.  

And I'm far from a luddite.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
11.5"?
You were already ahead of the game.

Cheaper stuff now is better than cheaper stuff back then.

Good is always good.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
My 10yrs old MacBook still works.. just like my MP44

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 19Charlie_84:
A good majority of all the trends are pretty dumb. Most stem from guntoobers starved for content so they fixate on some oddball thing and tout it as the greatest thing ever.
View Quote

Couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:13:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hydrostatic_cling] [#9]
So long as you have reliable hardpoints for mounting lasers, lights, and quality optics like a red dot or magnified optic of some sort, and provision to accept a suppressor, it’s all fine. I can still so that with a Block I M4 setup, and the only thing I’ve had issues with are lack of continuous top rail for clipon use. High quality components are simply more available now.

The only stuff I would call antiquated are government profile barrels, non-free float rails, and fixed iron sights like carry handles.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDSledge] [#10]
Originally Posted By hydrostatic_cling:
The only stuff I would call antiquated are government profile barrels, non-free float rails, and fixed iron sights like carry handles.
View Quote

Agreed but I like the carry handle sight and wouldn't call it antiquated, just basic equipment, not cool or new tech, but necessary.  I grew up and learned how to hit what I wanted to with fixed iron sights.  We have all sorts of choices now but my brain is wired for the notch/post or peep sight picture.  I use optics now but co-witness all things.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#11]
I had a bcm recce 14 (mcmr rail/elw barrel), with an A5 buffer system, OKW 18650, and razor Gen 2E and thought my setup was relatively up to speed.  Now I’m looking at some of the stuff on the market and I feel like I have a 10 year old MacBook.

How dated is my setup at this point ?
View Quote

I’d say you’re still ahead of the curve with that setup.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Your set up is in no way antiquated. It's a solid set up. Be proud of it and run the shit out of it
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Picture off setup?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds to me like you have a great setup OP. Like others have said, maybe upgrade an optic but,truthfully, what you have is pretty darned good.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

I'd say you're still ahead of the curve with that setup.
View Quote
I say that is meta, with dubious improvement from the A5.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, you’re good…buy more ammo and shoot a lot more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I can’t post photos on this site, not sure why.

My two rifle that are nearly clones minus the optics and triggers.

14.5 Bcm ELW middies w/ mcmr 13.
Aero Gen 2 stripped lowers
Bcm LPK
VLTOR A5 buffer systems
Bcm gunfighter comps
Gunfighter grip
Geissele posi snaps ambi safeties

One has a razor Gen 2 on adm recon mount, modlite okw, and geissele g2s, and Bcm Sopmod stock.

The other has a gunfighter (original) stock, Bcm pnt, modlite plhv2 and aimpoint t2 on adm mount.

I’m a big fan of rifles that work in a system, I like them to have a similar feel.   So they are “clones”, minus the optic (and obviously with change of optic comes small changes  like a more precision trigger with lpvo and modlite head for more distance).

I also have a Colt 6920 that’s kind of block 2 inspired.   Aimpoint comp m4, centurion 12” c4 FSP, and surefire m600 scout.   It’s looks like my block 2 I deployed with from 10 feet away.  Rattle canned camo.  It’s a heavy pig but super reliable .

I do shoot them all ALOT, I just haven’t stayed super up to date on the new trends and new equipment out there.  PRS rifles have taken up the vast majority of my hobby “brain space “ lately.

I’m looking at all these geissele rails and FCD ambi lowers and I’m starting to get jealous now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the old stuff better. Quads for life, I hate mlok.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fullmedaljacket8:
View Quote

Why the mlok hate?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fullmedaljacket8:
View Quote

Fixed picatinny rails for sure over Keymod or M-LOK... But even better still are plain old A1 and A2 handguards.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#21]
If your set up is out dated, then what is mine? ;)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

Why the mlok hate?
View Quote

Because I’m lazy and switch my stuff around. I despise attaching mlok accessories.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tiger222:
If your set up is out dated, then what is mine? ;)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61015/322FA8B4-4C8F-4E37-9B66-67B08A1DD38E_jpe-3190312.JPG
View Quote

That is a nice rifle
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I can’t post photos on this site, not sure why.

My two rifle that are nearly clones minus the optics and triggers.

14.5 Bcm ELW middies w/ mcmr 13.
Aero Gen 2 stripped lowers
Bcm LPK
VLTOR A5 buffer systems
Bcm gunfighter comps
Gunfighter grip
Geissele posi snaps ambi safeties

One has a razor Gen 2 on adm recon mount, modlite okw, and geissele g2s, and Bcm Sopmod stock.

The other has a gunfighter (original) stock, Bcm pnt, modlite plhv2 and aimpoint t2 on adm mount.

I’m a big fan of rifles that work in a system, I like them to have a similar feel.   So they are “clones”, minus the optic (and obviously with change of optic comes small changes  like a more precision trigger with lpvo and modlite head for more distance).

I also have a Colt 6920 that’s kind of block 2 inspired.   Aimpoint comp m4, centurion 12” c4 FSP, and surefire m600 scout.   It’s looks like my block 2 I deployed with from 10 feet away.  Rattle canned camo.  It’s a heavy pig but super reliable .

I do shoot them all ALOT, I just haven’t stayed super up to date on the new trends and new equipment out there.  PRS rifles have taken up the vast majority of my hobby “brain space “ lately.

I’m looking at all these geissele rails and FCD ambi lowers and I’m starting to get jealous now.
View Quote

The only thing I'd say is decidedly "outdated" (meaning I wouldn't purchase it new now because I believe current stuff performs better) is carbine gas on a 16" barrel/fixed FSP.
Everything else is on the market now/just another choice that is perfectly competitive with everything that is on the market now.
2020 wasn't all that long ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#25]
GWOT was the peak
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CharlesUFina:

That is a nice rifle
View Quote

Thanks 👍🏼
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I hvae seen far too many guys with high-speed gadgets being outshot at the range by skilled shooters with "outdated" guns ...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:23:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#29]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger-Mike:
I hvae seen far too many guys with high-speed gadgets being outshot at the range by skilled shooters with "outdated" guns ...
View Quote

True for anything really. Gear doesn't increase your skill at something. Only serious practice/training and sometimes just having a natural talent will make you better at something.

I see some insanely talented guys that drum better on a bucket than some guys that have the fanciest of drum kits with all the gear... So can someone using only iron sights outshoot a gear queer? Sure can.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I started paying attention to stuff after not having done so for 8 years and I feel like not much has changed. It's still just ARs with tube handguards. Optics are higher mounted now, that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Nothing really has changed.

Just Op8rs trying to make crash grabs on niche items like they are like are gonna revolutionize the industry.

And LOTS of reinventing the wheel with stuff.

Scott
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top