Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2024 1:11:50 PM EDT
Hi all, new to the forum. About four years ago I built my do all AR. It's a 10.5" 300blk that I run suppressed 100% of the time with a Sig SRD762. I love it and it's been perfectly reliable for thousands of rounds (apart from when I wore out a hammer spring), but it blows way too much gas back in my face. I'm considering adding an adjustable gas block, but I'm concerned I may lose the reliability. I've heard of the adjustment screw walking out, getting seized, and I even saw one block that had somehow split in half. Can someone with experience on the subject speak to the reliability and longevity (or lack there of) of adjustable gas blocks? I'd rather have stinging eyes after a range session and know my gun is G2G in an emergency than potentially cripple the reliability.
Are there any other solutions I could try besides a new suppressor? Should I just shoot with a respirator? It already has an h3 buffer and a snake oil changing handle
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhl72] [#1]
You could put liquid gasket sealer on the edge of the charging handle where it meets the receiver. There's videos and written  descripions on how to do it.   I did that to my suppressed 11 and 1/2 in and I also use a suppressed bolt carrier group and gas doesn't bother me but it does bother my wife when she shoots it so I think it's just individual specific. I've got my rifle to run perfect either suppressed or un suppressed so I really view suppressors as special occasion only like a home defense set up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to avoid an adjustable gas block, it BRT configurable gas tube is the simple answer. You tell them all your specs and they send you a tube with the correct restriction. That combined with the RVT trick and/or an aftermarket charging handle designed to divert gas should make a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to try that gasket trick. I remember seeing a video about it awhile back and for whatever reason never tried it. I'll have to pick up some gasket maker next time I'm in town
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
That's the second rec for the eztune. Looks like that may be the route I go. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
At least go to their website and check it out. You can either choose what restriction you want or you can put in all your info and they'll send you the one that they feel suits your needs. It's pretty cool. They're expensive for what they are, but they are simple and effective. I have a few.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to cut down the amount of gas, BRT EZ Tune as already stated.

Another option HERE .  

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Everything I’ve seen says that Riflespeed GBs are good to go and can’t really get seized up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything I’ve seen says that Riflespeed GBs are good to go and can’t really get seized up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:01:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#10]
Wait, you are concerned with adjustable gas block moving... I get that.

But you are also concerned with adjustable gas blocks NOT moving? Why?

For a set and forget adjustable gas block, I only reccomend the Superlative Arms in restrictive mode. You set by shooting unsuppressed. Shoot with the weakest ammo you will normally shoot. For me it is .223 55 grain FMJ. Load one round at a time. Shoot and see if the bolt locks back on that last round. If not, open 1 click. Continue until it locks back and load the magazine with multiple rounds (2or 3). If it cycles and locks back, check with any other magazine and 55 grain brass cased available to be certain it locks back 100% of the time.

Here is the important part... STOP! Do NOT add an extra click for "reliability" purposes. Recoil spring and gun wear/break in covers that. 5.56 pressure or heavier grain ammo covers that. Now your suppressed use will be as overgassed as little as possible but be 100% reliable unsuppressed. It will be WAY more comfortable to shoot suppressed once propperly gassed.

If you shoot really weak steel cased or run a VERY dirty gun with .223 55 grain, it MAY fail to lock back on the last round unsuppressed, when dirty but it will CYCLE 100% no problem. It will just let you know its time to clean. You WONT have issues locking back with 5.56 pressure ammo. You ABSOLUTELY wont have issues locking back EVER suppressed.  Best to do this tuning indoors or in cooler weather, not in blazing sun during summer to keep cold weather from being a concern.

So the gas setting may freeze up over time? Who cares? Carbon lock would just be added reliability to ensure the setting does not move. SA gas blocks do not have that issue though... and it has positive click detents. It won't walk. Ever.

To remove the SLIGHTLY overgased when suppressed issue, you can use a lower back pressure silencer, so there is less difference in suppressed vs unsuppressed, or use a Rifle Speed gas block to tune to a different setting for suppressed use... set just as above with 55 grain .223 ammo.

Charging handles don't do jack. I have tried them all. The vents just let more low velocity smoke seep out the receiver into your face.

If you have high velocity gas, your bolt is opening way too early. You need to solve that by cutting gas. You can add mass, but the 5.56 AR with carbine or midlength gas port lengths are more gas dependent than mass dependent. Consider this... if you tune with a 3oz buffer, you will have the same setting to lock back with H1 or H2 buffers in my experience and only occasionally  will an H3 buffer fail to lock on that same setting. A lightweight carrier is only one or two clicks difference from full mass. This is why you should NEVER add a click for "reliability" when tuning. You are just undoing most of the improvements by going to that next click. Add two clicks and you might as well not use an adjustable gas block at all.

The restrictive gas tubes are at least twice as coarse of settings vs. the less fine tuned adjustable gas blocks like the Superlative. THAT is why I am not a fan of the gas restrictive gas tubes. A bandaid fix when you can tune much more effectively with a block and the block does not have reliability issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top