BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2024 3:20:14 PM EDT
Just looked at Primary Arms new product announcement page and they've got the PlXC in SFP with the BRIGHT Nova reticle. And it is slightly lighter and shorter than the original FFP version. This the optic that finally outdoes the Razor 1-6e??

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-new-products

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Street value?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:43:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Street value?
View Quote

They don’t do MSRP as they are the manufacturer. I would bet on it being $ 1500 like the current PLxC scopes.

This should be an amazing scope, I will be preordering as soon as they are available.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#3]
I was hoping for Diffraction/diffusion/whatever it's called like the atacr/nx8 use... but this seems solid for the sfp peeps
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on how good my SLX Nova is, this is going to be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this is a good move for them going from SLX to platinum glass, although I think there will be some disappointment that this isn't a FFP scope like their current Compact.  

I'm guessing they'll continue to sell that model as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
I think this is a good move for them going from SLX to platinum glass, although I think there will be some disappointment that this isn't a FFP scope like their current Compact.  

View Quote

Meh.  FFP doesn't have much value in a 1-6, and can be a detriment if they F up the reticle, which most seem to do.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 5:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#7]

Meh.  FFP doesn't have much value in a 1-6, and can be a detriment if they F up the reticle, which most seem to do.  
View Quote

Yes in a 1-6 but their PLx scope is 1-8
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Outside of reticles designed for FFP LPVOs, like Nighforce's FC-DMx, FFP is a gimmick. You're not going to see the hash marks to do hold overs at lower magnification. If you're going to do hold overs it's at maximum power.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 5:30:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#9]
Originally Posted By jhon:

Outside of reticles designed for FFP LPVOs, like Nighforce's FC-DMx, FFP is a gimmick. You're not going to see the hash marks to do hold overs at lower magnification. If you're going to do hold overs it's at maximum power.
View Quote

Yes for 6x, a SFP works better. Once I get to 8-10x, I like having an FFP because you lose FOV at the higher powers. For 300-400 yd targets, ideally, I only want 6x and spin up to 8x for anything longer.
I’m shooting a K18i now so I’m well versed on SFP 1-8 optics but prefer FFP once it gets to that magnification.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang, I am so proud of the fact that I am from Houston, TX. Great job PA!

Vortex and Leupold are still 😴.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

They don’t do MSRP as they are the manufacturer. I would bet on it being $ 1500 like the current PLxC scopes.

This should be an amazing scope, I will be preordering as soon as they are available.
View Quote

Like the FFP, it will probably be around 1200-1300 after the dust settles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#12]
Originally Posted By ar15ken:

View Quote

I wouldn't count on it, the PLxC’s have not gone on any sales and the coupon codes never work for them. As hot as these are going to be I don’t see the price going lower, hopefully Im wrong.

* unless you are .mil or a first responder, I think they have a pretty generous program for those folks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Im more excited about the GLX Microprism. Hopefully a 3x will follow
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#14]
Edit: Disregard, thought I saw this was FFP.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:52:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#15]
I'm interested!

My Razor is a pig
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Yes in a 1-6 but their PLx scope is 1-8
View Quote

I guess I was making reference to the 1-6 comparison in the previous post.  But yea, I can begin to see it at 8x.  I can't make out reticle data until about 6x anyway, but it might be useful with more mag.  The thing is, when I get above 6x I want to increase the lower power as well as the larger objective of a 2-10.  But, I can see a 1-8 as a good compromise.  Maybe will have to go look through one in the "dark" and see how much light is lost compared to a 40mm objective.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
View Quote

I was really hoping they would release a 3-5x full size glx with all the typical PA prism features and integrated forward positioned 12oclock rds mount.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:31:51 AM EDT
[#18]

I wouldn't count on it, the PLxC’s have not gone on any sales and the coupon codes never work for them. As hot as these are going to be I don’t see the price going lower, hopefully Im wrong.

* unless you are .mil or a first responder, I think they have a pretty generous program for those folks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ar15ken:

Being it's not FFP it hopefully will be a tad less $.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#19]
PA is saying on their IG that it’s the same price as their current FFP compact.

They also announced an SLX Nova 1-10 in SFP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess I don't see the point. It's essentially a Delta Stryker with an extra 2x on top for 2x the price.

What would be really interesting would be something FFP in 1-8x with high-end glass, a nuclear bright reticle, and the same compact size and ~17oz weight at the same ~$1500 price point as the current PLX-c.

Oh wait, that's an NX8.

A direct alternative for the NX8 would be interesting. Or even better, a cheaper alternative...
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HunterKiller86:

I was really hoping they would release a 3-5x full size glx with all the typical PA prism features and integrated forward positioned 12oclock rds mount.
View Quote

I would buy that quickly
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
View Quote

I’m loving both these two new options, but this is what I’m most excited about too. Hopefully a 3x GLX will have a touch more eye relief than the slx
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

It being SFP seems like a plus to me. FFP LPVOs tend to be a mess with their reticles at one end or the other of their mag, or often, at both ends.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm sure that a lot of people are going to like the scope, but it just doesn't interest me at all. Sure, the bright reticle is great, but I don't see why they can't put that on the FFP version.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:
I'm sure that a lot of people are going to like the scope, but it just doesn't interest me at all. Sure, the bright reticle is great, but I don't see why they can't put that on the FFP version.
View Quote

Getting a reticle that bright in FFP takes a specific technology that is very expensive. The NX8 has it and is priced similarly, so there might be other factors at play?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gman556] [#26]
View Quote

I don't understand the complaints here about this because we now have both options. If you don't like sfp then buy the ffp, it's pretty simple, no?

Unless you don't like the chevron then I can understand.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By gman556:

I don't understand the complaints here about this because we now have both options. If you don't like sfp then buy the ffp, it's pretty simple, no?

View Quote

You give up daylight bright in the FFP, though
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:25:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#28]
View Quote

That reticle would suck in FFP, it would join a long list of shitty FFP afterthought reticles.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:18:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gman556] [#29]

View All Quotes

True but the example of the one that I had it wasn't really necessary. The crosshairs are all the way across on 1x and were thick enough to be visible on bright sunny days especially with snow cover. I needed the illum at dusk or when viewing into darker areas.  

The problem with the FFP at 1x was the center with that horseshoe and chevron covered up a lot of the target once you got beyond 50 yards. At 100 it would almost completely cover up an 18x12 steel target.

Yeah you could just bump the magnification up a bit when that happens ,but I like to be able to use them at 1x out to 100 and not have them completely cover up a target of that size. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:20:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#30]
Originally Posted By jhon:
Based on how good my SLX Nova is, this is going to be awesome.
View Quote

I really like my PA 1-6 Nova, I was hoping for a Glx so there wasn’t such a price jump.

My wallet is not liking this…
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#31]

True but the example of the one that I had it wasn't really necessary. The crosshairs are all the way across on 1x and were thick enough to be visible on bright sunny days especially with snow cover. I needed the illum at dusk or when viewing into darker areas.  

The problem with the FFP at 1x was the center with that horseshoe and chevron covered up a lot of the target once you got beyond 50 yards. At 100 it would almost completely cover up an 18x12 steel target.

Yeah you could just bump the magnification up a bit when that happens ,but I like to be able to use them at 1x out to 100 and not have them completely cover up a target of that size. YMMV.
View Quote

I think your statement is generally true if the targets are high contrast. So, if you have a white or brown target in sunlight, it will be visible. However, once you have targets in shadow or even blacked-out targets, it’s very hard to make out center reticles without daylight bright illumination.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#32]

I think your statement is generally true if the targets are high contrast. So, if you have a white or brown target in sunlight, it will be visible. However, once you have targets in shadow or even blacked-out targets, it’s very hard to make out center reticles without daylight bright illumination.
View All Quotes

I just left the illum on so that was never a problem with both high contrast and "blackened" targets.

Only reason I didn't keep mine was I didn't like the chevron at 8x, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#33]

I just left the illum on so that was never a problem with both high contrast and "blackened" targets.

Only reason I didn't keep mine was I didn't like the chevron at 8x, but that's just me.
View All Quotes

Even my razor that is daylight bright was kept on a medium setting and I used it the same way, and never felt the need to have it "daylight bright" due to the crosshairs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

Getting a reticle that bright in FFP takes a specific technology that is very expensive. The NX8 has it and is priced similarly, so there might be other factors at play?
View Quote

I replaced my NX8 with the PLXC and I would be happy if it had illumination.
Alternatively, if NF comes out with an optic with BDC and maybe a thinner ocular bezel, that's a winner for me as well.

But for now, both optics leave me wanting what the other had.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd day with it being 1-6 instead of 1-8 and SFP instead of FFP it may come in at a lower price than anticipated.

Excited either way personally.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Beauseph:
I'd day with it being 1-6 instead of 1-8 and SFP instead of FFP it may come in at a lower price than anticipated.

Excited either way personally.
View Quote
um... it's not 1-6x.

If it was 1-6x and sfp with a nuclear bright dot, it would have to come in around $700 (half of the current msrp) to be competitive with the delta stryker, which is essentially exactly that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:18:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#37]
Looking at the specs it looks like the 1-8 PLx Nova will have a tighter 1x eyebox than the 1-6 SLx Nova.  I know the 1x eyebox difference, thought huge, was noticeable from my PX4i to the SLx Nova.

I am not sure if this is true for all optics but it seems the higher the top end magnification the tighter the eyebox will be at 1x.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:19:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarNerve] [#38]
Will this be a wire or etched reticle?

ETA: it’s fiber wire. Right on the PA website.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I talked to one of my 3gun buddies at SHOT and he said this new 1-8 Nova looks a lot flatter at 1X than the current SLX Nova.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#40]
I talked to one of my 3gun buddies at SHOT and he said this new 1-8 Nova looks a lot flatter at 1X than the current SLX Nova.
View Quote
This video makes it look pretty dang flat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7xrWks3VPE
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I would hope so being one is Chinese and the other is Japanese made.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarNerve] [#42]
I am extremely happy with my PLxC 1-8. I am not a huge fan of the chevron but the rest of the package more than does it for me. Weight and footprint have always been important factors for me. I have owned all of them, Schmidt Dual CC, Swaro, Kahles, Vortex, NF . . . you name it and PA produces this for $1500. Impressive. I can't wait for the SFP Nova. I have been holding off on a FDE Griffin because I remember from an old thread discussing PA reticles that PA user dropped a hint on something along these lines. I am in for at least 3.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By WarNerve:
I am extremely happy with my PLxC 1-8. I am not a huge fan of the chevron but it the rest of the package more than does it for me. Weight and footprint has always been important factors for me. I have owned all of them, Schmidt Dual CC, Swaro, Kahles, Vortex, NF . . . you name it and PA produces this for $1500. Impressive. I can't wait for the SFP Nova. I have been holding off on a FDE Griffin because I remember from an old thread discussing PA reticles that PA user dropped a hint on something along these lines. I am in for at least 3.
View Quote

I feel the same way about the PLxC I had. I liked it over the NX8 I had, but my tarded ass couldn't get over the damn chevron.

I'm torn now because I was just getting ready to get another one and just deal with the chevron, but now the come out with the nova. Now I have to decide if I need FFP or am ok with SFP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#44]

I feel the same way about the PLxC I had. I liked it over the NX8 I had, but my tarded ass couldn't get over the damn chevron.

I'm torn now because I was just getting ready to get another one and just deal with the chevron, but now the come out with the nova. Now I have to decide if I need FFP or am ok with SFP.
View Quote

I was looking at the FFP variants hard, as a fan of most things ACSS the PLxC reticles (FFP) all look like John Maden had a stroke while going to town on the play board.

It would be awesome to have some of the tree elements of the ACSS combined with the Nova but I guess it’s technically difficult or impossible or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#45]

I was looking at the FFP variants hard, as a fan of most things ACSS the PLxC reticles (FFP) all look like John Maden had a stroke while going to town on the play board.

It would be awesome to have some of the tree elements of the ACSS combined with the Nova but I guess it’s technically difficult or impossible or whatever.
View All Quotes

That would be the shiznit right there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarNerve] [#46]

View Quote

I am no expert and someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I think to have the floating tree dots you have to have an etched reticle and it is the fiber wire that allows the daylight bright center dot. It must be difficult to have both. I think the Razor is a wire reticle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 2:49:23 AM EDT
[#47]

I am no expert and someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I think to have the floating tree dots you have to have an etched reticle and it is the fiber wire that allows the daylight bright center dot. It must be difficult to have both. I think the Razor is a wire reticle.
View Quote

It's not difficult just more expensive. I think a lot of companies are worried about pricing it out of the target audience

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

It's not difficult just more expensive. I think a lot of companies are worried about pricing it out of the target audience

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/IMG_20231211_234208_530_jpg-3108836.JPG
View All Quotes

I am no expert and someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think to have the floating tree dots you have to have an etched reticle and it is the fiber wire that allows the daylight bright center dot. It must be difficult to have both. I think the Razor is a wire reticle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/IMG_20231211_234208_530_jpg-3108836.JPG
This is the PLx-C's problem - if they COULD add the nuclear bright dot to the FFP version with it's ACSS reticle, it would be more expensive, but the PLX-C already costs about what a NX8 does, which already has detailed + nuclear bright reticles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
This is the PLx-C's problem - if they COULD add the nuclear bright dot to the FFP version with it's ACSS reticle, it would be more expensive, but the PLX-C already costs about what a NX8 does, which already has detailed + nuclear bright reticles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Daggertt:

I am no expert and someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think to have the floating tree dots you have to have an etched reticle and it is the fiber wire that allows the daylight bright center dot. It must be difficult to have both. I think the Razor is a wire reticle.

Just fyi the scope I posted is sfp
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Make and model?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top