You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/26/2024 1:28:17 PM EDT
1k lumens, 22k candela and green laser,
or
800 lumens, 66k candela, no laser.

Which and why?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
More candela so I can see & identify further. Also I hate lasers since I tend to always try to find them.

I only don’t mind lasers if I’m under nods & have the rifle canted.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#2]
Rifle? Highest possible Candela
Handgun? All the Lumens

Fuck the laser unless IR under NODS
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Laser is pointless.

Rifle or Pistol?

And what are the actual models/manufacturers?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 Surefire M640DF's with 1500 lumens and 16,000 candela, and 2 Cloud Defensive Rein 3.0's with 1250 lumens and 100,000 candela. I much prefer the throw of the Reins over the flood of the Scouts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#5]
There’s a reason OP didn’t specify models.

I’m going to guess he’s comparing the Streamlight TLR-2 HL-G and the Olight PL Turbo as those are the closest fits I can find for those specs from mainstream weaponlight manufacturers.

I’m also going to guess he concealed their names thinking most would outright dismiss the Olight because it’s Olight.

I’d probably skip both because neither would meet my needs for a pistol mounted WML.  The Streamlight because of the laser and the Olight because…well…..Olight.

The answer to a pistol light is always X300.  If you need IR, it’s X300V.  If budget is a concern, it’s TLR-1.  

As of late, if you need throw or want to put a pistol light on a long gun, X300T.

I’m sure many will disagree, but I’ve never gone wrong with any of those suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

I’m going to guess he’s comparing the Streamlight TLR-2 HL-G and the Olight PL Turbo as those are the closest fits I can find for those specs from mainstream weaponlight manufacturers.

I’m also going to guess he concealed their names thinking most would outright dismiss the Olight because it’s Olight.

I’d probably skip both because neither would meet my needs for a pistol mounted WML.  The Streamlight because of the laser and the Olight because…well…..Olight.

The answer to a pistol light is always X300.  If you need IR, it’s X300V.  If budget is a concern, it’s TLR-1.  

As of late, if you need throw or want to put a pistol light on a long gun, X300T.

I’m sure many will disagree, but I’ve never gone wrong with any of those suggestions.
View Quote

It is a mistake to dismiss the Olight for being an Olight.   I have half a dozen of the PL Turbo's and I love them.  I have an X300T and I dislike the switches.  The PL Turbo also has a better beam.  It lives on an SBR where the rear press switch is actually useful.    If you haven't tried a PL Turbo, you should.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#7]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:

It is a mistake to dismiss the Olight for being an Olight.   I have half a dozen of the PL Turbo's and I love them.  I have an X300T and I dislike the switches.  The PL Turbo also has a better beam.  It lives on an SBR where the rear press switch is actually useful.    If you haven't tried a PL Turbo, you should.
View Quote

Jack Daniel of Thunder Ranch documents all product failures in their classes. Guess what light brand breaks most? And it’s not by a few, it’s almost never breaks versus almost always breaks.  

He takes pictures and videos too, so it’s not like he’s just throwing out claims randomly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#8]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

Jack Daniel of Thunder Ranch documents all product failures in their classes. Guess what light brand breaks most? And it’s not by a few, it’s almost never breaks versus almost always breaks.  

He takes pictures and videos too, so it’s not like he’s just throwing out claims randomly.
View Quote

I've seen a few of those pictures and videos.  Some of them have actually been Streamlight products and have been falsely attributed to Olight.   Most of the Olight's that have issues are the Odin series, most of which have poorly designed mounts.  I personally prefer the Javelot Tac, which has the mount machined into the body of the light, and if you ditch the Olight QD mount and use an actual scout mount like the ones from Magpul you end up with a much more rigid end product.  The switch is guarded on the Javelot Tac and is difficult to accidentally knock loose compared to the Odin series.

But none of that relates to the PL Turbo, which is a pistol light that uses a screw clamp like a Surefire X300T-B.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#9]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
View Quote

Good call, very close! (Olight PL Turbo & Streamlight TLR RM2 G for rifle use)
And, yes, I specifically didn't mention the makes because I wanted input on the specs, not the manufacturers.

For the record, I own several of the Olight PL Turbos and have used them on both rifles & handguns. To date none have given me any problems.
HOWEVER, I will drop them all like a hot potato should a fatal defect show up, I'm not a fanboi of Olight or anyone else.

Should the PL Turbo prove unsatisfactory for my needs, I'm compiling a list of possible replacements for rifle use.
I'm undecided on the practical use of visible lasers on rifles, but since my budget dictates affordable options have a lower candela output (I've tried the newish Streamlight HL-X Pro w/50k candela, it's a no-go for me), I'm considering a green laser option (hence the 22k candela Streamlight TLR RM2 G). The RM2 would sit on the optic rail, low enough to not be visible through my optic and would be the best probably location for a light/laser combo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
What are you doing with it?  Higher candela usually indicates further throw which may not be the beam pattern you need (HD)
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#11]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
What are you doing with it?  Higher candela usually indicates further throw which may not be the beam pattern you need (HD)
View Quote

@DefenderAO
HD, but I like having the option of reach.
Do you consider 1k lumens/22k candela a better beam pattern for HD than 800 lumens/66k candela?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:48:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#12]

View Quote

@-OdieGreen-
Do you happen to know the most common failure point on the Olights (emitter, switch, mount, etc)?
I ask because I tried an impromptu torture test on one of my Olight PL Turbos:
I mounted it at 3 o'clock on one of my Tavor X95 bullpups, stood the Tavor up on its buttplate, then let the rifle fall sideways directly onto the Olight.
This was in my garage on a piece of carpeting over the concrete floor. I repeated this 5 times and the Olight is still functioning fine w/no emitter/switch/mount problems.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

@-OdieGreen-
Do you happen to know the most common failure point on the Olights (emitter, switch, mount, etc)?
I ask because I tried an impromptu torture test on one of my Olight PL Turbos:
I mounted it at 3 o'clock on one of my Tavor X95 bullpups, stood the Tavor up on its buttplate, then let the rifle fall sideways directly onto the Olight.
This was in my garage on a piece of carpeting over the concrete floor. I repeated this 5 times and the Olight is still functioning fine w/no emitter/switch/mount problems.
View Quote

Looks like mounts primarily but he’s seen cables break too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Looks like mounts primarily but he’s seen cables break too.
View Quote

Thx!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Here are a couple of comparison pics of the 800 lumen/66k candela Olight PL Turbo & the 1k lumen/22k Streamlight TLR RM2 taken in my garage.
Both lights are aimed at the furnace on the left, notice the difference in spill on the right.

Olight:
Attachment Attached File

Streamlight:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
For what job?

Home defense?

Shooting yotes, 100 yards away in the back forty out of the back door of the double wide?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
For what job?
Home defense?
Shooting yotes, 100 yards away in the back forty out of the back door of the double wide?
View Quote

Home defense.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:47:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#18]
Here are a couple of comparison pics of the 800 lumen/66k candela Olight PL Turbo & the 1k lumen/22k Streamlight TLR RM2 taken in my garage.
Both lights are aimed at the furnace on the left, notice the difference in spill on the right.

Olight:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Garage_Olight_jpg-3203374.JPG

Streamlight:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1593/Garage_Streamlight_jpg-3203375.JPG
View Quote

For HD I’d be picking the Streamlight here. I can see your massive stash of TP in that picture but can’t tell what it is with the Olight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#19]

For HD I’d be picking the Streamlight here. I can see your massive stash of TP in that picture but can’t tell what it is with the Olight.
View Quote

Actually, it's paper towels on the bottom shelf & TP on the shelf above it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Actually, it's paper towels on the bottom shelf & TP on the shelf above it.
View Quote

May no spill go uncleaned, and no ass go unwiped.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Home defense.
View Quote

Spill is important. Go with the best spill.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#22]
I think I'll go w/the TLR RM2.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Final observation:
Just got back from the range (2am).
Two target stands at 100yds, appx 25' apart.
With the Olight aimed at one stand, the other was not visible at all despite being in the Olight's spill zone.
With the Streamlight, the aimed-at target stand wasn't quite as defined as with the Olight, but the other stand, while dim, was still clearly visible.
Link Posted: Today 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Final observation:
Just got back from the range (2am).
Two target stands at 100yds, appx 25' apart.
With the Olight aimed at one stand, the other was not visible at all despite being in the Olight's spill zone.
With the Streamlight, the aimed-at target stand wasn't quite as defined as with the Olight, but the other stand, while dim, was still clearly visible.
View Quote

I think you should try a PL Pro next.
Link Posted: Today 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

How does Modlight rate?
Link Posted: Today 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:
I think you should try a PL Pro next.
View Quote

Does Olight make a CR123 version? All I see is the rechargeable model.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top