Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2024 11:31:35 AM EDT
Besides the obvious KAC and Troy, what are some decent BUIS?

I love KAC but availability limits their appeal and Troy, well, is Troy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been impressed with my scalarworks sets.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the Magpul Pro (metal) BUIS.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Troy has always been my go to due to availability but I have to admit, I have seen magpul polymer MBUS take an absolute beating. Their ability to withstand abuse has surprised me on multiple occasions
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy and Magpul are considered the standard. Pretty sure they Troy makes WC and Larues. You also have the option of Midwest Industries, Daniel Defense and PRI.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Magpul pro for folding, DD for fixed
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
DD BUIS is best BUIS … realtively inexpensive, too. Usually like $120 on sale for the pair.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Magpul Pro's (steel).
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swerdeofwar] [#8]
If you're an euro ERATAC would be the go to

Eurooptic link

ERATAC

They make them with M4 or HK style frontsight and also do offsets.

I've got a rear sight on my rifle, pretty happy with it
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Muad:

View Quote

I like the two sets I have. The Scalarworks sights look nice also
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By swerdeofwar:
If you're an euro ERATAC would be the go to

https://images.eurooptic.com/images/products/era-tac/9/era-tac-t0541-0355.jpg?w=1100

Eurooptic link

ERATAC

They make them with M4 or HK style frontsight and also do offsets.

I've got a rear sight on my rifle, pretty happy with it
View Quote

These look nice……
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Midwest Industries combat folding sights are solid. Low profile, aluminum base, steel folding bits.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
When shooting with non-locking irons such as magpul pro's or kac's I've "unlocked" them many of times. MBUS plastics not as much due to being spring loaded. Troys not at all.

Then again locking sights are permanently damaged if they take a serious impact.

If you have a red dot DD 1.5's are the only answer.

With all this being said I'd like to try the new magpul polymers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebert] [#13]
I have a set from Spikes on one of my AR's that are not to bad. Here is the rear and front.
Most of my AR's wear Magpul's but I thought I would give these a try.

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/sights/spikes-tactical-gen-ii-micro-rear-sight/
https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/sights/spikes-tactical-gen-ii-micro-front-sight/
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BlackDog714:
Besides the obvious KAC and Troy, what are some decent BUIS?  I love KAC but availability limits their appeal and Troy, well, is Troy.
View Quote

You didn't mention if you want fixed or folding.  For fixed, Scalarworks makes the finest rear BUIS on the commercial market.

For folding, you know you want the KAC, so wait until you can find them available.  Operation Parts is a reliable source to keep an eye out for them.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I have Magpul Pros, KAC, and MATECH. The Pros are nice and I really like how small they are. The KACs look and function great and are paired with MATECHs on the rear as they are on semi clone rifles. I have a MI rear, but I haven't used it yet as I don't have a matching front sight for it. It's super simple, slim, has no second apertures and just flips up. I bought it on sale as it was missing its screw. MI had them for a few bucks so I paid about half the regular price for it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

This was posted in the MK18 mega-thread:

"Maybe that’s where we’re getting our Mk.18s from. All of ours appear to be Colt select fire M4 Carbine lower turned into 10.3” guns with DD RIS IIs, Aimpoint M5s on KDG push-button mounts, Magpul MBUS-Pro sights, MAWL-DAs and Surefire Scouts.

State is letting us have the nice toys here."
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I really like mbus pros, but my MI combat sights seem solid too. I dont know that either is "the best", but I've had no complaints. Honestly, if it's a back up sight, even the plastic magpul ones would be fine. Chances are they'll never get used. I just prefer something lower profile.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the Ultradynes

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I prefer the Magpul PRO to even the KAC micros having multiples of both.  The Magpul seem more solid and are lower profile
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By IPMan:

I like the Ultradynes
View Quote

Excellent sights.

Ultradyne Back-Up Iron Sights

The new Ultradyne back-up iron sights for the AR-15 are the most innovative back-up iron sights that I’ve used; particularly their HK style front sight. Unlike the fundamentally flawed HK style front sights manufactured by Troy Industries, Precision Reflex, Samson etc, the Ultradyne HK style front sight maintains the proper orientation of the front sight post within the circular front sight “ears” throughout its entire range of elevation and windage adjustment.  The entire sight housing moves when making adjustments.

You may have noticed in the previous sentence that I said “elevation and windage adjustment.” The unique feature of the front sight having windage adjustment allows you to obtain a no-wind zero by making adjustments solely to the front sight.

The Ultradyne front sight employs interchangeable front sight posts. There are currently five different front sight posts available; four of them are aperture posts and one is a square post the size of the standard A2 front sight post. The interchangeable front sight posts are a proprietary design. Mil-spec front sight posts will not work with the Ultradyne front sight.

The Ultradyne rear back-up iron sight also has interchangeable apertures. Two rear apertures are currently available; a 0.050” aperture and a 0.070” aperture. The rear sight can also be used without either rear aperture installed, giving you a ghost-ring sight picture. The rear sight is also adjustable for windage and elevation.

I mounted the Ultradyne back-up iron sights (with the 14 MOA aperture front sight post and 0.050" rear sight aperture) on one of my Krieger barreld AR-15s. Using match-grade hand-loads and shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards, I was able to achieve a 10-shot group that had an extreme spread of 0.71”.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm partial to the mbus pros (steel).
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:23:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kx250ryder] [#22]
I like LMT’s #L8NG2 5.56 Imperial Rear Flip-Up sight. It’s like a KAC 600M but adds:

- Dual same plane apertures
- Range hash mark visible for left and right handed shooters

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:49:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#23]

View Quote

I’m going to sell mine because I don’t like how the sight picture looks with the thicker front ears. I wanted to like them, but I’ll be looking to replace them with Troy sights. It sucks, as I really like the front sight post on the Magpuls.

ETA: Those Ultradyne’s look interesting. However, I have Troys on all my other rifles, so I’m just gonna stick with them. I’m just not the type to constantly try out new products. Lol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:53:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#24]
Ooops…double post
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone know a good fixed front sight post? Got an MRP years ago only to realize I enjoy shooting with irons and a carry handle anymore. I'd love to replace my mbuis set and have a carry handle from an old build
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a couple of the DD 1.5 rear sights.  And a bunch of A.R.M.S. 40 somethings.  They all work.  I don't know what qualifies as premium these days.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had the gamut. Previous ran fixed DD, MBUS Pro, MBUS Pro LR, MBUS2, and ARMS #40 (old school I know). Currently have Troy, KAC M4 front with 600m rear, and MBUS 3. The only reason I own the KAC set and the Troys are clones; the MBUS 3 does everything they do, are proven to be durable, and really reasonably priced. Magpul really fixed the aesthetics on the MBUS 3 compared to the 2s.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:41:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kx250ryder] [#29]
Originally Posted By BT1989:
Anyone know a good fixed front sight post?
View Quote

Scalarworks Peak/01 fixed front sight is my favorite. Tool-less adjustment and a narrow front post to deal with the shorter sight radius of a <20” rifle.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/peak-01/
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]
BuIS are obselete.

That said, if I had to put them on a rifle, I'm going with Magpul polymer MBUS. They will have been proven more durable and less prone to permanent drop damage than all metal BUIS.

Fight me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Samson is a good choice
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:22:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DefenderAO] [#32]
Originally Posted By Creature:
BuIS are obselete.

That said, if I had to put them on a rifle, I'm going with Magpul polymer MBUS. They will have been proven more durable and less prone to permanent drop damage than all metal BUIS.

Fight me.
View Quote

The drop tests the polymer sights won were less about material and more that they did not lock into deployed position; they were able to give/fold when knocked while the others fought their locking mechanism

And I do not want to fight
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

The drop tests the polymer sights won were less about material and more that they did not lock into deployed position; they were able to give/fold when knocked while the others fought their locking mechanism

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
BuIS are obselete.

Fight me.

The polymer material more than likely made a substantial difference. Unlike the other metal BUIS in that test, a second drop test was performed on the same polymer BUIS...with a POI shift of less than 1 MOA. I'd say that Magpul got that one right.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to put Troys on everything, until it got to the point I had to admit they were chonky enough to be interfering with other stuff, so I sold them all and switched to lower profile MBUS Pros.
Then after a while I got to the point where I had to admit that all I did with them was buy them, zero them, fold them, and never touch them again.  I'm entirely happy with the build quality of both the Troys and MBUS Pros, but they've pretty much reached a point of being an unnecessary ~170$/per gun cost and weight adder, so I believe I currently have more than enough BUIS to last me the rest of my life.
I guess if I was carrying the gun into combat or something, I would want them literally as a backup to have something in case the optic was physically destroyed, but for any other purpose, I'm fine with changing the optic battery once a year and calling it good.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
I used to put Troys on everything, until it got to the point I had to admit they were chonky enough to be interfering with other stuff, so I sold them all and switched to lower profile MBUS Pros.
Then after a while I got to the point where I had to admit that all I did with them was buy them, zero them, fold them, and never touch them again.  I'm entirely happy with the build quality of both the Troys and MBUS Pros, but they've pretty much reached a point of being an unnecessary ~170$/per gun cost and weight adder, so I believe I currently have more than enough BUIS to last me the rest of my life.
I guess if I was carrying the gun into combat or something, I would want them literally as a backup to have something in case the optic was physically destroyed, but for any other purpose, I'm fine with changing the optic battery once a year and calling it good.
View Quote
I've been saying for years that BUIS are obselete...and won't be commonly seen (if it all) in a decade or so.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:39:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DefenderAO] [#36]
The polymer material more than likely made a substantial difference. Unlike the other metal BUIS in that test, a second drop test was performed on the same polymer BUIS...with a POI shift of less than 1 MOA. I'd say that Magpul got that one right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
BuIS are obselete.

Fight me.

No question the MBUS Pro, with its give, yield the same result.  This one wasn't a polymer thing.  It was a lockup thing.  The other brands had zero give because of their locking mechanisms.

Frankly the Magpul polymers not sitting flush (rear) with the rail looks bad.  There are much better options for BUIS than those...
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I normally use a set of the Magpul Pro MBUS sights.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#38]
If you don't need folding, a chopped carry handle is still #1 IMO.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By kx250ryder:

Scalarworks Peak/01 fixed front sight is my favorite. Tool-less adjustment and a narrow front post to deal with the shorter sight radius of a <20" rifle.

https://scalarworks.com/wp-content/uploads/scalarworks-peak-fixed-black-hero.jpg

https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/peak-01/
View Quote

Those look slick.

And Molon approved, so sounds like I need a set

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#41]

I'm still pretty fond of the ARMS BUIS.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top