Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2024 8:25:53 PM EDT
Friend took his rifle out, came back said it wouldnt chamber .223.  I said doesnt sound right, let me see the cartridge.  Stamped LC 85, should be Lake City 5.56. So...I ( being a moron), said let me see if it will chamber in the Frankenrifle.  Loaded ten rounds in a magazine, first round chambered and ejected no problem.   Second round jammed.  Would not eject. So I thought,  bolts forward, fine Ill fire it.  Squib load.   From the sound I would say it was the primer only.   And the bolt carrier group is locked forward.   The Frankenrifle is a PSA M16A2 lower, which as I understand is milled not drilled.  Everything else, Bolt carrier group, all PSA. Nothing weird in there.   Tried mortaring it, just to see but from the looks of it the bolt is locked.  Any gurus with a miracle fix?  Photo showing the bolt position attached.  Hey at least we figured out he got a bunch of s**t reloads with his new rifle, and it should cyvle .223 and 5.56 just fine.  

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't see the pic as you are a new poster.   I had a blown case on a 300blk that ultimately needed a long screw driver tonpry the bolt back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Morter it. Kick the charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deere_John_16:
Can't see the pic as you are a new poster.   I had a blown case on a 300blk that ultimately needed a long screw driver tonpry the bolt back.
View Quote

Right click on his little Icon, then left click open in new tab, it will show pic.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, mortar it harder. Might need a glove on the charging handle hand. Or put heel on charging handle and while holding the rifle, stomp down on it the same way you do it by hand, but with your foot.

Remember to always collapse the buttstock before mortaring it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BIGSHOOTER414:
Morter it. Kick the charging handle.
View Quote

Geeze it, just lightly tap on the charging handle, it will come loose without jacking all up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:

Geeze it, just lightly tap on the charging handle, it will come loose without jacking all up.
View Quote

This. It's not like the gun went down in a firefight. Separate the upper and lower, lock the upper in a vice with some soft jaws, and use some firm pressure aided with some brisk strikes on the charging handle from a non marring hammer. Lube that BCG up first. It looks pretty dry to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:46:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: racer765] [#9]
mortar it.  if you think the whacks will hurt the stock, pop the stock off and mortar it against a chunk of 2x4 on the ground to protect the end of the buffer tube.  

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top