Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2024 4:35:07 AM EDT
Thoughts as to how good they are? Anyone have any experience with some Promag AR magazines?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have tried many ProMag pistol and rifle magazines back in the day - pure junk. Buy MagPul.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the worst that I have ever used personally.

There are so many quality offerings to choose from these days.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The best use for them is sitting on the log in front of the berm.  Nice little reactive targets that are useless and dangerous as firearm magazines.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Friends don’t let friends buy promag
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Unanimous.  Pro-Mags are pure junk.  Back in the bad old 94 AWB days, I tried a few for HK, Beretta, and AR, and all of them were pure junk.  Stay away from them even if that is all you can find.  No matter how desperate you are, they are junk and you are wasting your money at any price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Promag are junk. Save and get quality mags you can trust your life with.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
You're better off single loading your ar thru the ejection port than using a promag
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Do THIS and be happy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
If only we could get a solid consensus on these promags.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Coolin_Homie:
If only we could get a solid consensus on these promags.
View Quote
I have PMags, Lancers, ETS, Amend2s, Duramag Speeds and something else I can't remember. They all at least "work." I haven't had any problems with any of them though all 556. I use the pile of PMags the most.

Promags are the only ones I haven't considered even trying. I hate to dump on a company, but they have a truly awful reputation. You can barely find anybody who says they run trouble free for them. I've seen a few, but they're outnumbered by alot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no idea how Promag is still in business. I don't know anyone who buys or uses them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By craig19:
I have no idea how Promag is still in business. I don't know anyone who buys or uses them.
View Quote

New gun owners keep them afloat.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jambright:
Thoughts as to how good they are? Anyone have any experience with some Promag AR magazines?
View Quote

A wise shooter goes on with life as if that brand does not exist.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I guess so.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#15]

I guess so.
View Quote

Unfortunately just like sightmark and the others
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Trash mags
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Hot Garbage from the get-go. I learned that way back on a mini 14.  They keep selling that junk because its cheap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have never, ever tried one.

And never will.

Because:

80% of what I hear says they're junk (see above)

Other, known good quality mags can be had cheap enough.

So there's no point in even bothering with them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
What kills me about Promag is that they're already manufacturing magazines. ALOT of them. Why not do a little additional R&D and produce some decent mags? Seems like they should be able to do that for not very much money than they're spending now.

If they did, they might really expand their customer base.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:20:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amannamedjed] [#20]
I bought a couple of 10 round promags awhile back because they were the only 10 round mags I could find at the time.

I had a high incidence of the first round not feeding.  I had to slap the bottom of the mag extra hard to get the first round to feed. Thereafter, they would feed correctly.

But that first round?  Probably happened around 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#22]
But why?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#23]
magpul gen2 30rds are cheaper than shite promags
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By switchback7:
magpul gen2 30rds are cheaper than shite promags
View Quote

So are M3s.

Crazy shit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#25]
The answer to the question is in their name:

Please
Remember
Our
Magazines
Are
Garbage
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Back when I tried them, as mentioned above during the 94 AWB, they were the only mags that you could find that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  While I absolutely hate the expression "buy once, cry once," it is certainly true when it comes to ProMags, even when other mags were two to three times more expensive.  That is thankfully no longer the case now and there is no conceivable reason to buy their garbage any more if you live in a free state.  And even now if you live in a restrictive state, its better to shoot 10 round mags that work rather than full caps that don't.  But... one thing good about ProMags: they are excellent for practicing malfunction drills because you never know when they will go tits up and jam up the works.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#28]
The only positive reviews I've heard is that their HK 93 mags actually work.

For AR use, don't waste your money OP.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I've seen enough malfunctions at matches by novice competitors using unknown magazines, including promag. Don't bother even if they are free to you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought three 20 rd AR mags and out of those three only one worked.  The other two did not work at all.  I will never buy another one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

New gun owners shopping at Academy Sports, Promags always in stock there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:09:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#32]
I buy one of the extra high-capacity mags for guns that the manufacturer does not make one just to try them out. I don't expect them to work when I make the purchase. Only one I have got that worked reliably for me was the one for a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.
I bought a couple of the steel 20 round ones for a 308 AR DPMS pattern gun and mine have worked fine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought some 10rd roller mags from them because they were stupid cheap and I was only using them for zeroing on a bench. Only three out of the five functioned reliably. There is no way in hell I would run a promag for serious work. Especially with how inexpensive pmags are
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
I have tried many ProMag pistol and rifle magazines back in the day - pure junk. Buy MagPul.
View Quote

I have no idea why anyone would want something other than pmags.  I keep some metal ones around too but Pmags all day for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:
The best use for them is sitting on the log in front of the berm.  Nice little reactive targets that are useless and dangerous as firearm magazines.  

View Quote

Best post - Pro-Mag just plain sucks!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:00:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoomBoom] [#37]
Promags are targeted towards two kind of gun owners.

1. Newbies
2. Dumb gun owners (the ones you run across at gun shows, gun stores, and sometimes here). Surprisingly there are lots and lots of dumb gun owners out there because Promag is still in business like what 40 yrs.

Yeah, don’t be that guy.

We would win lots of wars if we air drop a bunch of Promag to our enemies.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Jambright:
View Quote

Promag is junk and has been known to be junk since they hit the market. Do not buy any Promag mags. If someone offers to give you free Promags of any kind kindly refuse them. Good Al and polymer mags can be had cheap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#39]
I have 2 - in .308 for my SR25 rifles. They do work and I've had no failure with them.  I just use them for target and range work though since they seem to be hated so bad.

Other than those I have no other experience with Promag.

ETA: I have held them side-by-side with the OEM DPMS mags and could not tell any observable difference in look, dimension or feel, other than finish.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#40]
ProMags in a SR-25 is tier one trolling

On topic - I have never had a good experience with them, OP. Nothing good to say about them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#41]
ProMag is an OEM for CMMG.

ProMags I have had or have:

1x 10 round 1911 mag, worked fine in my former RIA & three different converted .45 ACP HiPoints, both carbine & pistol.

1x 5 round flush fit AR mag, blued steel, drop free, slightly rusted when I left it on carpet that got wet.  No issues.

1x 10 round flush fit AR mag, blued steel, drop free, no issues.  Tight in my new Anderson lower, have to smack it to get it to lock.  Fits fine in my older KP-15 lower.

1x 30 round polymer AR mag, their Rollermag twin roller follower.  No issues.  Plan on picking up another one in 15 round flavor for the Fold AR.

So either I have the very best of luck, or ProMag's are a lot better than ARFwisdom says they are.

ETA:  I grabbed a few 32 round Beretta 92 mags for cheap from a mag dealer at Tulsa that was closing them out, as a customer had bought a Cx4 carbine off me.  One of em ran fine, one had a problem.  Hit up ProMag at SHOT last year, they got me a replacement for him, the new one runs fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Yet the ones that I have for my Ruger P85 were 100 percent.  Go figure. 🤔

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Haven't used them since late '90s-early 2Ks.

Started with around 10 for SKS, never had one that functioned properly.

Bought a dozen or so for AR15, same problems. Never looked back after that.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
View Quote

EVery Magpul 9mm mag I have tried was junk. Their AR mags are GTG
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By j3_:
I buy one of the extra high-capacity mags for guns that the manufacturer does not make one just to try them out. I don't expect them to work when I make the purchase. Only one I have got that worked reliably for me was the one for a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.
I bought a couple of the steel 20 round ones for a 308 AR DPMS pattern gun and mine have worked fine.
View Quote

Ironically enough the last mag I tried of theirs was for my m&p.
It's the only magazine that has ever gave issues.

See I thought, (gotta be some thing they make that's ok),

In one of those panic times I had squished a 556 ak together and purchased a few of their mags.
One of them I went to lock in and the top half of the mag broke off.
Took them months to send me a new one.

There are other instances but I am not about to waste my time trying anything of theirs again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#47]
Originally Posted By meistermash:

Ironically enough the last mag I tried of theirs was for my m&p.
It's the only magazine that has ever gave issues.

See I thought, (gotta be some thing they make that's ok),

In one of those panic times I had squished a 556 ak together and purchased a few of their mags.
One of them I went to lock in and the top half of the mag broke off.
Took them months to send me a new one.

There are other instances but I am not about to waste my time trying anything of theirs again.
View Quote

Never said two of the M&P worked only one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Its been said already but there are lots of reliable quality mags out there for AR's. Stick with the main brands and you should be ok.

Now Promag makes a bunch of crappy mags but they also make some that work. For the AR they have both metal and polymer mags. I haven't tortured them but my polymer AR Promags have worked just fine.
Promag poly AK mags have worked great for me. They have poly feed lips and locking lugs and they get chewed up but still work.
Their Marlin 795 and Glock 44 mags work pretty well also.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top