Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2023 11:13:30 AM EDT
Yes, I do know there is a thread on AR-15 lubrication…

I’ve read that thread and I do know of the points oil is recommended. My question is this: Is there any friction points on ARs or Rattlers that you use grease and not oil? I use grease on my slide to frame friction points on pistols and believe it really extends the life of them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I use cherrybalmz grease on the outside of the bcg/inside of the upper receiver. I also use it on the cam key. Everything else gets lightly oiled.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jnat] [#4]
I grease the carrier where it rides in the receiver,  lightly on the bottom ramp that resets the hammer,  cam pin slot,   lightly on the back of the bolt lugs. All springs and detents get a light coat before assembly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GreyBeardBiker:
Yes, I do know there is a thread on AR-15 lubrication…

I’ve read that thread and I do know of the points oil is recommended. My question is this: Is there any friction points on ARs or Rattlers that you use grease and not oil? I use grease on my slide to frame friction points on pistols and believe it really extends the life of them.
View Quote

any of the spots showing friction/wear should get greased.

BCG rails, cam pin, even the bolt where it inserts into the carrier.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Don’t over think it.  Just oil it and clean it when it’s dirty.  I’m not a fan of grease on any of my firearms.  I clean them after I shoot them and then oil them per manufacturers instructions.  Grease is messy and more trouble than it’s worth in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: adam556] [#8]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I lube the points suggested in the TM with CLP and call it good. The BCG gets heavily oiled and light oil on the rest. I've thought about grease on parts of the BCG but I think it will just attract debris and cause more damage.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
All very good advice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
From a "mechanical" perspective, the only place/thing that would possibly "need" grease is the cam pin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jnat:
I grease the carrier where it rides in the receiver,  lightly on the bottom ramp that resets the hammer,  cam pin slot,   lightly on the back of the bolt lugs. All springs and detents get a light coat before assembly.
View Quote

^^^^^^
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Winn] [#13]
From an archived thread titled:
"How NOT to lube an AR"...

A customer dropped off on upper today for some work, and I couldn't help but notice the stuff oozing out from the receiver.

Folks, grease has NO PLACE on an AR. ARs, by design blow crap into the action. An action filled with grease + blowback = mud.  Its a good thing this upper isnt set up for a suppressor, it probably wouldnt make it through 1 full mag before choking.

I would consider this an unsafe/unreliable weapon before even firing the first shot.

The bolt has so much grease on it that its oozing out the vent holes.  I wouldn't want to be next to that when it goes off.

I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to lube the bottom of the carrier.

Barrel extensions and bolt lugs don't really need grease either. I can promise there WILL BE pressure issues when you fire a rifle with a chamber that has a layer of grease in it.

Please Don't.

Since I'm already on my soap box, here's how I lube ALL my ARs. I have a remoil bottle I keep refilling with mobil-1 synthetic 30w motor oil.

One drop on the top of the charging handle

One drop on the gas rings

One drop on the body of the bolt

One drop on the cam pin

One drop on the firing pin

Two drops on the bottom rail of the carrier.

Two drops on the top of the carrier

That's it.

That's all I ever use, whether I'm plinking at the range for a few minutes, or an all day carbine class.  99% of my shooting any more is suppressed, and that is still all the lube I have ever needed.  I don't lube in the receiver, I don't lube my buffer/spring.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/118-297701/?page=1
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I always used some kind of grease. For years, I have used Breakfree CLP to clean, and then would use either tetra, tw25b, mobil1, cherry balmz, and slip2000 grease. Of those, my two favorites are slip2000 grease and cherry balmz. Mobil1 worked great too but I felt it had additives in it that are toxic outside of a car.

Currently, I'm using froglube to clean and lubricate. I leave a thin, grease like line on all the wear points with their paste. I shoot 100s of rounds without failure. The inside of the upper is wet and greasy and it's super easy to clean.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jnat:
View Quote

Wadda coincidence! This is pretty much exactly how I do mine
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Winn:
From an archived thread titled:
"How NOT to lube an AR"...

A customer dropped off on upper today for some work, and I couldn't help but notice the stuff oozing out from the receiver.

Folks, grease has NO PLACE on an AR. ARs, by design blow crap into the action. An action filled with grease + blowback = mud.  Its a good thing this upper isnt set up for a suppressor, it probably wouldnt make it through 1 full mag before choking.

I would consider this an unsafe/unreliable weapon before even firing the first shot.

The bolt has so much grease on it that its oozing out the vent holes.  I wouldn't want to be next to that when it goes off.

I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to lube the bottom of the carrier.

Barrel extensions and bolt lugs don't really need grease either. I can promise there WILL BE pressure issues when you fire a rifle with a chamber that has a layer of grease in it.

Please Don't.

Since I'm already on my soap box, here's how I lube ALL my ARs. I have a remoil bottle I keep refilling with mobil-1 synthetic 30w motor oil.

One drop on the top of the charging handle

One drop on the gas rings

One drop on the body of the bolt

One drop on the cam pin

One drop on the firing pin

Two drops on the bottom rail of the carrier.

Two drops on the top of the carrier

That's it.

That's all I ever use, whether I'm plinking at the range for a few minutes, or an all day carbine class.  99% of my shooting any more is suppressed, and that is still all the lube I have ever needed.  I don't lube in the receiver, I don't lube my buffer/spring.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/118-297701/?page=1
View Quote

This. Basically all day every day for all of these reasons. TM 9-1005-319-10 gives fine instructions on lubricating this platform. The recommended lubricants are CLP for general use, CLP or LSA down to -10F, and LAW below -10F. There are a lot of commercially available equivalents to CLP and your weapon is yours so you can treat it as you wish but, I would consider this:

Grease up that bolt and run 1k rounds. Then wipe that grease off onto a painted surface. Press your finger down and swirl it around for a minute and then wipe it clean and look at the results. That grease plus contaminants is nothing less than lapping compound. As your weapon cycles, you're causing wear.

CLP contains detergents that dissolve residue so it doesn't do this. I get that people say "it's not great at any one thing" and that may or may not be true. What is true is that it's kept combat rifles in the fight under the most grueling conditions for over 40 years. What IS true is that in Iraq in 1991 and 2004 we were wiping the grease off of everything we could on our vehicles because it would trap every spec of sand,, dust, dirt, or anything else and grind that component into failure.

YMMV. I get that people like to solve the problem they don't have sometimes. This is my .02. It's based on my observations and experiences.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I put a light coat of grease in the buffer tube on my match rifles to eliminate the buffer spring noise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:
I put a light coat of grease in the buffer tube on my match rifles to eliminate the buffer spring noise.
View Quote
Me too. Makes the gun feel instantly more "high end" lol.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top