Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 10:31:34 AM EDT

I'm looking for a riser for my kid's rifle.  I swapped the vortex scope for a holosun 510c and she still needs tilt her head to see the reticle.  I tried using an old YHM 1/2'' riser and it's still not high enough.  Only way for her to keep her head straight and still be able to see the dot, is only the toe of the stock is in her shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:52:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#1]
Maybe it’s the angle of the photo but are you positive that she’s not cross eye dominant? My son is a lefty and when he was young he was doing the same thing. We then realized that he is right eye dominant. Coincidentally I’m right handed and left eye dominant 🤷🏼‍♂️
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
This is not a hardware problem.  It is a technique problem very common to kids and females.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:06:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0612Devil] [#3]
Maybe move the buttstock higher into the pocket of the shoulder and get a cheek weld w/ the existing mount?

If you're dead set on a riser, there are a plethora out there.  Unity FAST being one of the popular ones right now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
Maybe it’s the angle of the photo but are you positive that she’s not cross eye dominant? My son is a lefty and when he was young he was doing the same thing. We then realized that he is right eye dominant. Coincidentally I’m right handed and left eye dominant 🤷🏼‍♂️
View Quote

She is crossed eye dominant. She’s a lefty with right eye dominance.  Best part was when she shot a pistol for the first time.  I put that handgun in her left hand, and she naturally lined up the dot with her right eye. Took me a minute to realize she’s cross eyed dominant.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 0612Devil:
Maybe move the buttstock higher into the pocket of the shoulder and get a cheek weld w/ the existing mount?

If you're dead set on a riser, there are a plethora out there.  Unity FAST being one of the popular ones right now.
View Quote

The stock is almost out of her pocket. With a high stock pocket, the only contact she has with the stock is  the area of the stock where the screw holds the butt pad on
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#7]
Ok left eye dominant. Perhaps an AR pistol with only the tube would work for her.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks to me like she needs to switch shoulders, and do it soon while she can.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Looks to me like she needs to switch shoulders, and do it soon while she can.
View Quote

Can't. She's right eye dominant.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#10]
She's like her mother at they're both 5ft nothing. I ordered a Unity riser.  If it works, great. If not, I'll post the riser and the kid on the EE forum
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By shindawia6:

Can't. She's right eye dominant.
View Quote

Why then does it appear that she is looking over the top, with her left eye?  Maybe it's just the angle?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Why then does it appear that she is looking over the top, with her left eye?  Maybe it's just the angle?
View Quote

It's the angle of the dangle
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#13]
If she's a lefty then she's shooting weak side in that pic, which is probably why folks think she's looking goofy. Like any of us, shooting off your weak side is a little off until you train through it. Cheek weld, etc.

Maybe, instead of shooting weak side to satisfy eye dominance, it'd be easier to train her strong side on weak eye.

Either way, I have Unity risers on my dots for 2.26 height, and I can roll the rifle and/or shift my head slightly to achieve sight picture with my opposing eye without switching hands, so maybe it'll work better for her. It will come with other training challenges but if it's just for fun, it's no worry.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#14]
She's doing it wrong. It's better to fix her than to conform the weapon to her improper form. It just reinforces bad habits.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Utg super slim risers are very nice and cheap and available in just about any length and height. Still work on technique.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 2 cross-dominant kids.  One power squints or uses taped glasses, while the other uses a 1.93" mount over a .5" riser.  

It can take some time to get comfortable with anything that isn't just perfect, but it will be worth the effort if they like shooting.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ARgonot:
She's doing it wrong. It's better to fix her than to conform the weapon to her improper form. It just reinforces bad habits.
View Quote

This.  I'm sure someone local can help you.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top