Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2023 6:06:09 AM EDT
I thought I'd share this since I got the idea here. I came across some old mags that I acquired
while on active duty over the years. I've bought new mags but wanted these for the range and
to keep for nostalgia. I decided to refinish them by following what was posted in this forum.

The mags before:

This was the spray I bought. It looked like it was the closest to what the OP used:

I bought new springs and Magpul followers since I have no idea how much abuse these had
before I got a hold of them. New springs seemed a little longer than the old, not that I think that matters.
The big difference is in the followers, the Magpuls are way smoother and can't tilt like the original ones.
That by itself might make these magazines more reliable.

I followed the OP's instructions and cleaned and dried the aluminum bodies inside and out.
That stuff stinks so I sprayed them outside on a dry sunny day
(a rare combo in South Florida) on top of nails to be clear of the board and get all three sides,
then flipped them to the  other side when dry. I finished by curing them in the oven for a bit,
which briefly stunk up the house.

I did eight magazines this way. The finish looks good, and so far seems to hold up alright.

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I powdercoated a bunch of old mags years ago with a urethane based powder coat. I did a bunch in black and some in od green. They still look as good now as when I did them almost 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice Job
Can you share the Mag Refinsihing link you refered to?
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
It's at the top of the AR-15 Magazine forum:

https://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=332
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wireguided:
It's at the top of the AR-15 Magazine forum:

https://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=332
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Those turned out great OP
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yobo] [#6]
Back in 1998 I refinished bunch of GI aluminum 20 and 30 round mags...about 100 in total.  
I used PermaSlik-G dry moly lube which I found at aircraft parts supply store.  They usually cost about $9 a can but they sold me expired ones they had for $3 (I didn't know they had expiration date).
After disassembling and cleaning the mag I would heat mag body in oven set to 160 degrees for about 5 minutes then spray it with the PermaSlik.  Hang to dry until next day and they looked new.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top