Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 1:31:09 PM EDT
I recently picked up an old school canvas GP strap off ebay for my XM177E2 clone. There is verdigris staining on the canvas from the strap's brass hardware.
Any tips on removal of the verdigris stains from the canvas strap that wont also wash out the green dye?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jmalone317] [#1]
Soak it in white vinegar for 24hrs in a deep pan or bucket, it will strip the green and brown residue and what’s built up on the hardware without changing the canvas color. Follow up by scrubbing with blue dawn and small brush with hot water and rinse/dry. Whoala!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jmalone317:
Soak it in white vinegar for 24hrs in a deep pan or bucket, it will strip the green and brown residue and what’s built up on the hardware without changing the canvas color. Follow up by scrubbing with blue dawn and small brush with hot water and rinse/dry. Whoala!
View Quote

How about “white mildew” on the canvas?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m sure a vinegar soak would help. I’ve had really good luck with Dawn power wash and a brush getting most light stains out of fabric as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TENdriver:
View Quote

Dish soap and then a thorough drying has been my trick for leather and canvas.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TENdriver:

View Quote

This is an established method for removing mold from (very expensive) Luger holsters, and works with other gear.

1) place holster (or belts) on a piece of tinfoil on a cookie sheet
2) turn on the oven to 350F
3) when the dinger tells you it is now 350 TURN THE OVEN OFF!
4) place the cookie sheet & leather goods in the oven for ONE HOUR
5) remove from oven
6) wipe the verdegris off the brass fittings with a cloth
7) let cool

(Courtesy of Jerry Burney aka lugerholsterrepair)
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MASP7:

This is an established method for removing mold from (very expensive) Luger holsters, and works with other gear.

1) place holster (or belts) on a piece of tinfoil on a cookie sheet
2) turn on the oven to 350F
3) when the dinger tells you it is now 350 TURN THE OVEN OFF!
4) place the cookie sheet & leather goods in the oven for ONE HOUR
5) remove from oven
6) wipe the verdegris off the brass fittings with a cloth
7) let cool

(Courtesy of Jerry Burney aka lugerholsterrepair)
View Quote

I’m surprised that doesn’t destroy the leather.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:35:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MASP7] [#7]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
I’m surprised that doesn’t destroy the leather.
View Quote

Seems to kill the spores, not the leather.

A lot of very expensive Luger holsters have had the mildew successfully remediated with this process.

At any rate, it certainly won't bother canvas webbing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably not gonna be a well liked method, but I think alot of people over think things, I used dawn dish soap and shout laundry stain remover, i scrubbed with an old tooth brush and let dry. I then re applied the dawn and shout and put it in my washing machine with a bunch of bath towels and socks and such on a gentle cold cycle, hung up to dry when it was done and it was good as new, still green no stains
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up on this clever hack - the 24 hr. white vinegar soak worked like a charm, didn't even have to scrub the strap with dish soap.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jmalone317] [#10]
Originally Posted By Clandestino:

Thanks for the heads up on this clever hack - the 24 hr. white vinegar soak worked like a charm, didn't even have to scrub the strap with dish soap.
Thanks again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clandestino:

Thanks again!

Hey my pleasure!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top