Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2024 3:14:29 PM EDT
I had a pile of retro parts sitting around and decided to put together a 375 SOCOM build. Most parts were from JSE surplus. Started with the complete upper receiver group, then dusted off one of my older lowers. I got a custom 14.5" barrel from Deadshot barrels. Grip is actual original M16A1 from Numrich....so there you have it, it's a retro build! hah!

I made the muzzle brake myself. It shrouds about 3.5" of the barrel and is really just a 1.75" birdcage pinned and welded to bring the overall length to 16.25" while still looking like the "commando" version. Green is Duracoat. I used steel wool to "weather" the build to give it an "old look". I'm sure one season of hog hunting will take care of that!

It's very lightweight, and has noticeable recoil, but that's part of what I like about it!

I only put 15 rounds through it for a function check and initial break-in, cleaning between each round for first 5, then after each subsequent 5 rounds. I'll take it out later this month and shoot off a real benchrest to evaluate barrel/accuracy. Kneeling behind a box in a field is hardly the best "precision" setup. First two bullets went through almost the same hole at 50 yards, then the whole group shifted 6" left. I used a very cheap carry handle mount that was a weaver rail. I had to mill it to fit the Primary Arms picatinny mount...and it wasn't a great fit even after that. I think something "settled". I've yanked that out and am mounting the prism scope direct to the handle now that I realized the scope came with extra hardware to do that!

I think this will be a blast to hunt with!

https://youtu.be/qAzN4ySvq2g

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/a52ZgTndXnk

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Forgemonkey1066:  I had a pile of retro parts sitting around and decided to put together a 375 SOCOM build. Most parts were from JSE surplus. Started with the complete upper receiver group, then dusted off one of my older lowers. I got a custom 14.5" barrel from Deadshot barrels. Grip is actual original M16A1 from Numrich....so there you have it, it's a retro build! hah!

I made the muzzle brake myself. It shrouds about 3.5" of the barrel and is really just a 1.75" birdcage pinned and welded to bring the overall length to 16.25" while still looking like the "commando" version. Green is Duracoat. I used steel wool to "weather" the build to give it an "old look". I'm sure one season of hog hunting will take care of that!

It's very lightweight, and has noticeable recoil, but that's part of what I like about it!

I only put 15 rounds through it for a function check and initial break-in, cleaning between each round for first 5, then after each subsequent 5 rounds. I'll take it out later this month and shoot off a real benchrest to evaluate barrel/accuracy. Kneeling behind a box in a field is hardly the best "precision" setup. First two bullets went through almost the same hole at 50 yards, then the whole group shifted 6" left. I used a very cheap carry handle mount that was a weaver rail. I had to mill it to fit the Primary Arms picatinny mount...and it wasn't a great fit even after that. I think something "settled". I've yanked that out and am mounting the prism scope direct to the handle now that I realized the scope came with extra hardware to do that!

I think this will be a blast to hunt with!

https://youtu.be/qAzN4ySvq2g

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/a52ZgTndXnk
View Quote

Function check on a retro-ish AR-15 in 375 SOCOM

Son with the retro AR15 375 SOCOM in slow-mo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s a great round in any platform.  IMO it’s even better than the .458 SOCOM for everything other than super heavies and subsonics, and it’s no slouch there either.  Velocity is faster, trajectory flatter, recoil is less, what’s there not to love?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:45:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Forgemonkey1066] [#4]
May have to get a couple boxes and try out the hot core bullets. Even if they don’t fly well, I still get another 40 rnds of brass!

I have SP bullets and brass. Just need powder and dies.

Certainly not an inexpensive caliber……but I love it so far!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
That’s cool. Different.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:  It’s a great round in any platform.  IMO it’s even better than the .458 SOCOM for everything other than super heavies and subsonics, and it’s no slouch there either.  Velocity is faster, trajectory flatter, recoil is less, what’s there not to love?
View Quote

Is it still 10 rounds in a standard AR 30 round mag like the .458?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#7]
7-8 in a 20, 10-12 in a 30.  Normally it is 7 in a 20 and 11 in a 30.  Differences in follower design sometimes lessen it a round.  If you take a Lancer mag and cut off the forward upward tit on the floor plate retention plate you can get 8 in a 20 and 12 in a 30, plus 1 in chamber of course.

So yes, it’s exactly the same as the .458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice looking build . I've got a 10" 375 I need to get out and do some shooting with .
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
7-8 in a 20, 10-12 in a 30.  Normally it is 7 in a 20 and 11 in a 30.  Differences in follower design sometimes lessen it a round.  If you take a Lancer mag and cut off the forward upward tit on the floor plate retention plate you can get 8 in a 20 and 12 in a 30, plus 1 in chamber of course.

So yes, it’s exactly the same as the .458 SOCOM.
View Quote

Have you had reliability issues by doing that to the mag?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:04:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#10]
Not yet, and I’ve done it for years.  That said though, I’m certain doing that mod for an extra round voids the warranty, and the spring is fully compressed at that point so it’s on the owner if the spring gets weak or fails.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top