Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2024 6:48:53 PM EDT
First off I want to thank everyone who answered my questions and even offered taking me to a range in my previous post: "Basic rifle for noob user." https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/128-785085/

I'm going to hold off on buying an AR for now since I might be taking possession of a 10-22LR that we found in a deceased family members home.

I presume an AR15 is vastly superior to a 10-22LR?   I initially thought it was a BB gun but then found a square approx 2"x2"x2" magazine that goes in front of the trigger.

Is this rifle worth of home defense? The rifle is small but looks unused and possibly from the 60s - 80s based off the white and brown plastic sleeve it was in (similar to an old fashioned bowling ball bag).

It's not in the will so finders keepers here. Based on some research, there is no need to register rifles in MI, but can anyone clarify this?  I'm still a little wary of transporting it, what if I get pulled over?

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely keeping it.  I'll get my self a case then.  Thank you
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Go here and you can get the date of manufacture from Ruger.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

Let us know.  I will guess 1978

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
10-22 is a great gun. That was the first gun I had (at 8), nearly 30 years ago and still have it. It is not a good home defense gun,  but it is a great range and small game gun with a huge list of aftermarket parts available.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top