Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2023 2:59:33 PM EDT
Without going into much detail on the why, can an op rod on a superlative arms rifle length piston kit be cut down to fit and intermediate length system?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By mr4848675:
Without going into much detail on the why, can an op rod on a superlative arms rifle length piston kit be cut down to fit and intermediate length system?
View Quote

I do know SA will do customer lengths for op rods but they will require you to send in your upper. There is obviously a premium.

I had it done for a pistol build since there isn't a "milspec" length (i broke a rod using their stock pistol length). I recommend contacting them directly.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:42:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr4848675] [#2]
Yeah I reached out to them about making a rod for this system and got a response of no buy a mil spec gas length. Now I'm paraphrasing but not by much. Also said they only make custom lengths for pistol length. I didn't call the number on the website that mentions custom lengths but their CS response was fairly unenthusiastic about a custom length. I might circle back around and call the number but I'm waiting to here back from Adams Arms.  

I can't really determine any reason a rifle length couldn't be cut down to the correct length though. The rod is solid not a tube I assume?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Yeah I reached out to them about making a rod for this system and got a response of no buy a mil spec gas length. Now I'm paraphrasing but not by much. Also said they only make custom lengths for pistol length. I didn't call the number on the website that mentions custom lengths but their CS response was fairly unenthusiastic about a custom length. I might circle back around and call the number but I'm waiting to here back from Adams Arms.  

I can't really determine any reason a rifle length couldn't be cut down to the correct length though. The rod is solid not a tube I assume?
View Quote

I mean you could use an Adam's arms carrier and file down the op rod. I've done that several times. Obviously it requires precision and you can't Dremel it or you'll make the metal brittle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't had an SA kit in hand so thats the main reason for the OP. I'm not too concerned with the process of how to cut. Just any reason cutting an op rod down wouldn't work. I could cut it down with whatever to about the length and file it down to the exact correct length unless there's something about the kit I'm not aware of.

I don't have any concern as to whether I can determine the correct length. It appears it is simply a solid rod that yes can be cut down.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I've done it multiple times. SA did it for a pistol build of mine and didn't re-heat treat. So no. The only problem is if you do it, you cannot use their carrier anymore and must use another like Adam's Arms.

I've done this for a 7.62x39 10" EWS bufferless build with Adams Arms strike key, a 308 16" Rogue mod with their Revolution carrier, a 5.56 14.5" EWS bufferless build with an Adam's Arms strike key, and a 14.5" 5.56 build with a lightweight Adam's arms carrier.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
What happened with the rod sa cut?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]
What happened with the rod sa cut?
View Quote

Nothing. I used it. It's still there for a 7.62x39 pistol build, but I switched out the barrel for a carbine. Have several thousand rounds through it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
I've done it multiple times. SA did it for a pistol build of mine and didn't re-heat treat. So no. The only problem is if you do it, you cannot use their carrier anymore and must use another like Adam's Arms.
View Quote

Why if I cut down a SA op rod can I not use the SA carrier?
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Why if I cut down a SA op rod can I not use the SA carrier?
View Quote

Because it's rounded on the end. If you have a lathe you may be able to get the dimensions right. Take a look at the SA rod pics on their website vs the strike key the rod hits and you'll get an idea why. .

Essentially the surface area interface changes from rounded to flat, which will either caus the rod to bend, break, crack, or mushroom after potentially a few shots.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you. That was a primary concern.

Adams replied they do have intermediate rods. Not sure which intermediate system it's for though. Only stated that the intermediate length aren't mil spec so I'd have to possibly fit it.  Somewhat confused why they don't know which intermediate system it's for though. But as you and Adams have confirmed Adams rods can be cut/sanded down. I'm still considering the SA but at least I know what I'm up against. Thanks again
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you. That was a primary concern.

Adams replied they do have intermediate rods. Not sure which intermediate system it's for though. Only stated that the intermediate length aren't mil spec so I'd have to possibly fit it.  Somewhat confused why they don't know which intermediate system it's for though. But as you and Adams have confirmed Adams rods can be cut/sanded down. I'm still considering the SA but at least I know what I'm up against. Thanks again
View Quote

No I confirmed that SA rods can be cut/sanded at a steady pace, but you'd need to swap out the carrier if you do it. It uses H18 tool steel. Adam's arms, I haven't tried and wouldn't as it likely uses a much different steel for the op rod.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top