Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 16
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:15:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: criley] [#1]
I bought mine at Texas Tactical.  Google it (not sure if its kosher to post a hot link).
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By criley:
I bought mine at Texas Tactical.  Google it (not sure if its kosher to post a hot link).

Texas Tactical is an industry partner now IIRC, You can find them in the EE.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Jap version of Tacpoint,,the lense color is red,,,works just fine,,,my Colt Ar15 scope is Jap made also...the chicoms still are not up to the qa standards of the Jpas...getting close though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Is the "made in Japan" version more desirable for quality control reasons?  Or something else?

I was looking at some Russian red dots in the same price range, but this looks like it is a better design. I want to put red dots on some of my second tier fun guns and want to stick to low cost optics.  Are there any other good low cost red dots or is this the best of the lot in the under $150 range?

Link Posted: 12/8/2004 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Robert2011:
Is the "made in Japan" version more desirable for quality control reasons?  Or something else?
Mostly because it is NOT made in China and it does not have the "blue ring" on it.
I was looking at some Russian red dots in the same price range, but this looks like it is a better design. I want to put red dots on some of my second tier fun guns and want to stick to low cost optics.  Are there any other good low cost red dots or is this the best of the lot in the under $150 range?
This is strictly my opinion, but I think it is the best at the $100 price point. And of course it is a good design, it's a copy of the Aimpoint

R2011,
For what you are looking for, I think it will work just fine. The Tasco Propoint, Bushnell, Ultra Dot, and all the other red dots out there all have their fans and critics. IMHO, the Tacpoint was the best option for me. As always, YMMV. If you get one, post your results here.

I have the Jap version of Tacpoint,,the lense color is red

deadvc, The lens on the made in China is red also. Do you notice a slight blue tint to anything when you look through the optics?
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The japanese tacpoint has a blue tint to it.
The chinese does not.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By EEJ:
The japanese tacpoint has a blue tint to it.
The chinese does not.

Mine is Chinese and has a blue tint
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 3:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#8]
Texas Tactial does not list them on their website today.  Does anyone know anywhere else that might carry them?  I can't find them anywhere on the net at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Try www.csgunworks.com/
scopesnmore may have them too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By strick909:
Try www.csgunworks.com/

Special order only--- I believe that means out of stock, and scopesnmore.com was also out of stock.  Any others?
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By guns762:

Try www.csgunworks.com/

Special order only--- I believe that means out of stock, and scopesnmore.com was also out of stock.  Any others?

These guys have them in stock.  http://www.nightvisionweb.com/
I just ordered one last week when they were $109.95 with free shipping.  These are NOT Chinese either, meaning they are Japanese and do not have the Blue Ring.  To me, that is an added bonus.  I got mine within a few days, shipping was quick and these people were good to deal with.  I have never handled an Aimpoint but my Tacpoint is built very well and has a well defined dot.  I plan on keeping this on my AR until I have enough money for an Aimpoint, then I will throw the Tacpoint on my Mini-14.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 1:08:00 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the feedback. Looks like I might have to buy myself an extra Christmas present.....

So the big question is, should i try this on my bluegrass .50bmg viper?

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn it all to hell....I just ordered mine from nightvision web as well and the price was 119.00 not 109! Oh well....was hoping it would arrive via UPS on Friday and then the brown truck backed in. I was getting all excited and then I saw the driver leave the truck with a big ass box marked Amazon.......Damn it! Oh well it will be here on Monday. Its the Jap made one as well....I plan on doing a review of my own........going to mount it on a 240 in Jan at the range and see how she holds up to a few belts of 7.62!
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone know what size lens covers are on the Tacpoint?  I'm looking to  order some sturdier lens covers because the factory ones are a bit fragile.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Civic215:
Does anyone know what size lens covers are on the Tacpoint?  I'm looking to  order some sturdier lens covers because the factory ones are a bit fragile.

I have been wondering this is as well.  They are ok, but it would be cool to get some Butler Creek flip ups for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I recently put butler creek covers on mine.

07 objective
02A objective

07 goes on the objective end and is a tight fit

02A goes on the eye end and needs to be shortened a bit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 5:28:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bronk1] [#17]
Well she finnally came in today and all I can say is that I am happy with the overall quality of the unit. Mine is the Japanese made Tacpoint NOT the Chicom.  Yes it has a blue tint to it, optics are very clear and the dot is sharp.  Aside from the waterproof rating of the Aimpoint and better flip caps I cant really see a big diff when I compare it to my issue M68 CCO.
 Switch has very distinct click setting, and tube has no flaws from what I can see. Also I have the PRI goosneck mount which is a BIG upgrade from the Aimpoint model.  Only thing I have to look at getting now is a riser to get it a little higher over front sight.
 In my opinion it was worth the money...is it a a mil spec Aimpoint....nope. But It fits my bill for a home based rifle.  11B10B4[

Link Posted: 12/20/2004 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Would factory aimpoint covers fit on the tacpoint?  Wondering this because Midway sells replacement Aimpoint covers for $13 i think.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I am not sure if the would or not, Try it and let us know. Also if it has aimpoint logos on them, be sure to cover them up somehow.  The sensitive types around here may call you a POSER if you dont.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a mount from Ultimak that was a perfect cowitness. Ultimak
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Combatvet:
I got a mount from Ultimak that was a perfect cowitness. Ultimak

cowitness with flat-top or carry handle mount??

-Jason
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Carry handle with gooseneck mount.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Tacpoint made in japan right? all of them or some of them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Eclipsester:

According to Hakko, Tacpoints are now made in China. There are a few Japanese Tpoints floating around out there still. If it is all black, it is Japan, if it is a blue ring, it is Chinese. But be aware that the "blue" comes off rather easy and some jackhole could try to sell you Chinese as a Japanese. I don't think it really makes much of a difference. The Japanese sights have been known to leak.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I just love the point about guys mounting REAL Aimpoints on their M-4 COPIES and  calling people with a Tac Point "Posers".

HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I would say that there are "quality" differences between AR manufactures as well wouldn't you? I mean..is Colts the same as Hesse? Is Bushmaster the same as Model 1?

From what I have been reading the "quality" of the TAC POINT vs. Aimpoint are speculative at this point wouldnt you agree? I have yet to see any serious text as to the realized benefits of one over the other other than "Its Mil Spec and therfore better".

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:

Originally Posted By Vulcan762:
I just love the point about guys mounting REAL Aimpoints on their M-4 COPIES and  calling people with a Tac Point "Posers".

HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!hr

There is VERY little diff. between the Military version M4 and a Civy version M4. Most likely the only REAL diff. between the two is that one is full auto capable. There is a QUALITY difference between a tacpoint and an Aimpoint! hr
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#27]
If I applied your logic then we would be comparing the Aimpoint Comp ML (military) to the regular Aimpoint (Civi) So I dont think your apples are ripe. :-)

and...you'll love this,....  Less battery life? not 100% waterproof?? -WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FOR 1/4 OF THE PRICE! hahhahahahhaha heTWELVE BILL-I-ON DOLL-ARS.

Viva'la Tac-Point el'Japan!!!!

Re: You have to compare apples to apples (Colt Military M4 to a Colt Civy M4). In this regard I don't think there is much of any difference. The issues with the Tacpoint is that they don't have the same battery life, are not waterproof and will most likely (time will tell) stand up to the same amount of abuse that an Aimpoint would. Did I mention that they are also a knock off and are made in a Communist country that wants to wipe us off the face of the Earth???
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Damnit! I just NEW I should have checked that at the Aimpoint website first.

YOU'SE KNOWS WHAT IM A SAY'IN HERE. ..and my analogy still applies and is even demonstrated by your very own comparison. :-)

Where was your watch made? What about your cell phone? Toaster, Microwave, DVD Player, Toothbrush? Home Phone? Fax Machine?, Hinge Hardware on your kitchen cabinets???
Huh? Huh, huh, huh?????

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:

Originally Posted By Vulcan762:
If I applied your logic then we would be comparing the Aimpoint Comp ML (military) to the regular Aimpoint (Civi) So I dont think your apples are ripe. :-)

and...you'll love this,....  Less battery life? not 100% waterproof?? -WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FOR 1/4 OF THE PRICE! hahhahahahhaha heTWELVE BILL-I-ON DOLL-ARS.

Viva'la Tac-Point el'Japan!!!!

Way off in your analogy. The ML2 is not the Mil-Spec Aimpoint the M2 is. The Aimpoint Civy M2 is really the Comp C. Those two models are VERY close (just like the Mil-spec Colt M4 and the Civy Colt M4)! hing

C4

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 6:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#30]
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh my God, shut up please! Damn it Vulcan, don't get Grant started! He knows the differance between the two. You should to, you posted "what do you expect for 1/4 the price?" Well, you should expect about 1/4 the quality.
As we speak, I have a Comp M2 in my hands. And everyone knows that the Tacpoint in the pic on page one is mine. So, I can say with absolute certainy that the Tacpoint is no where in the same quality range as an Aimpoint M2.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#32]
ar firerer you can get a simple riser mount from bushmaster for 15 bucks that will raise your sight to where it needs to be, I did the same for an Aimpoint. Good post I enjoyed the info, but with that said and done, has anyone used the HAKKO ar-15 scopes they have two models and I dont know if they are equivilant to bsa /leapers crap or if they are worth a dam. Please let me know
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 8:41:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David77361] [#33]
edited on 11/13/2004:
It has come to my attention that my post may or may not be offensive, but in no way did I have ill intentions to the author of this post. I even thought it was a very good post and topic on the tacpoint subject. I believe that some people do and always will take (not just this site) forums and other type of blogs and sites where you can post your opinion on certain objects ot people too serious. I understand the internet is intended and used for information and other things. As an AR owner i believe this site it the most informative site on the subject of Ar's and items related to the subject. But in no way do i take the posts and its replys serious or so to speak "to heart" . And I hope others can understand that I still believe in the freedom off speach, and i do not or would never ask no one to NOT argue or speak there mind or tell there opinion wether or not I the author may find there response offensive becasue I understand there right and I welcome any response on any topic i may post. I dont believe any body should say they will only expect "positive responses to there opinion even if somebody else has a different opinion. I also believe the owners and moderators of this site agree with me. I can understand that degrading or threating one in a post using foul language is not acceptable and that there may be certain circumstances that should not be allowed. Further I do believe my response was still on topic with the tacpoint subject. I own both aimpoint and the tacpoint. So I hope people should make up there own minds in real time experiences with both optics if they should have the resources available to do so. thanks again for you time

The fact that you had to make this statement shows you how finaticle people on this site are. ***So if you alter your tacpoint you are a poser****, who the fuck is this guy to call somone else a poser, it is your damn rifle paint the tacpoint pink if you want, if people are going to make fun of you just because you cant afford the fancy stuff then to hell with them, you know what!!! i think i am going to go buy a tacpoint today, paint it pink and engrave aimpoint on the side!!! Oh and by the way who is going to take there ar15 25 meters under the water anyway? gee that would shure be a selling point for me!!!!!! Got my fancy aimpoint now i can bee cool and take my ar in the deep end of the pool tonight because im such a bad ass and everyone who cant afford an aimpoint is a poser!! one word comes to mind about that post LAME!! well im off to buy my tacpoint........hmmm where is that engraver?
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 8:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David77361] [#34]
Oh my God, shut up please! Damn it Vulcan, don't get Grant started! He knows the differance between the two. You should to, you posted "what do you expect for 1/4 the price?" Well, you should expect about 1/4 the quality.
As we speak, I have a Comp M2 in my hands. And everyone knows that the Tacpoint in the pic on page one is mine. So, I can say with absolute certainy that the Tacpoint is no where in the same quality range as an Aimpoint M2.

HEY VULCAN:: didnt you know that if your not kissing ass in here you arent allowed to have an opinion, didnt you know these people know everything!! Come on Vulcan shut up, god forbid you prove someone wrong......  And by the way it is impossible to not buy chinese or japanese, if something is made in japan chances are it has chinese parts or vice versa....  hell even some Harley Davidson parts come from china, i know i have some !!! strait from the dealership!!! And if we are no longer going to buy products from people who want us wipe us off the face of the earth, then all we are going to be able to buy is tacos and canadian beer!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By David77361:

HEY VULCAN:: didnt you know that if your not kissing ass in here you arent allowed to have an opinion, didnt you know these people know everything!! Come on Vulcan shut up, god forbid you prove someone wrong......  !!!

Thanks for the informitive post.
Untill you CAN prove me wrong, you can STFU.   Buy a Tacpoint, paint it pink and test it out. Untill then, your opinion, while passionate and dramitic, really does not mean much.

This thread was started to stop the agrueing and bickering on the Tacpoint topic. If you own one, you are welcome to post whatever experiances you have. If you just want to flame me or my enforcement of the ZERO tolerance for BS policy, you are welcome to send me and IM with your insults and complaints. But post anymore BS in this thread and I'm sicking Lumpy on you.

Link Posted: 1/20/2005 3:51:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: photoman] [#36]
Back when the whole Tacpoint/Aimpoint mess blew up here on AR15.com I was contemplating buying an Aimpoint for my M4 clone. I wasn't really sure about it though. I have a couple shooting buddies that have them on thier guns so I've shot with them before. But I just wasn't sure that a red to sight was something I wanted. I didn't want to drop $300+ on a sight that I might end up not liking and than have to sell it.

Enter the Tacpoint:

I decided in October of 2004 that I'd pick up a Tacpoint Tac-1(Blue Ring)from Texas Tactical to see how I liked using a red dot. Seeing that the Tacpoint is a copy of the Aimpoint it was the logical, and less expesive route to take to see if I would like an Aimpoint on my gun.

But that wasn't the only reason I picked it up. I wanted to abuse this optic. I wanted to beat it like a rented mule to see how it would hold up to rough use.

First Impressions:

When the Tacpoint showed up at my door it was 1 day before I was to leave for a Defensive Edge Carbine 1&2 class. I didn't have a lot of time to look it over and play with it. I had to get it mounted and sighted in. Before mounting it in a quick release QRW mount I played with it real quick, checking the power knob, it was nice for all of the first day. It wasn't mushy between power settings, and the click when it got to a power setting was pretty audible. After a day though it started getting mushy, and the click wasn't as audible. I've had a couple instances since when the scope would turn on inside the gun case. I don't like that, but what are ya going to do. The caps that came with it looked rather flimsy, but so far they have held up. Other than those and a few other small things I'll get into later, I am not really disapointed with the Tacpoint, though I didn't hold any high expectations either.

Let the Beatings Begin:

After getting the optic mounted I headed to the range, besides the initial zero I had one other objetive. To start abusing this scope. I sighted it in at 50 yards. After that I removed the optic from the gun and threw it down range about 25 yards(I was the only one there). I retrived it, put it back on the gun and fired 10 rounds. Zero was still good. So i took it off and threw it again. After putting it back on the rifle I put another 10rounds down range, no shift in zero. Ok so third time is a charm right. Nope, I threw it down range again and whatched it bounce end over end a couple times, put it on the rifle and shot another 10 rounds. Still no zero shift. Hmmmm, I dumped what was left of the 30rd mag and packed up.

The next day I was off to the Defensive Edge class. I had planned to use the Tacpoint for this class, but decided that since this was my first formal carbine class I would use my regular set up. The Tacpoint did see some use. I used it on my backup gun for 3 drills and a total of 30 rounds or so. It also got a few good tosses into the air the first morning of class, with no harm done to the optic.

About a week after the class I met up with MisterPX to work on some of the stuff we learned. The Tacpoint was going to get it's first serious range time, but not without a good throw to rough it up a bit first. After that I put it on the rifle and went to loading my pistol mags. In the process I managed to bump the AR and sent it crashing to the ground oops. The Tacpoint took the brunt of the fall from about 3ft up onto the hard gravel. It was no worse for the wear, and doens't really show any signs of the fall. After that It was on to the shooting. I put about 500 rounds down range that day, and the Tacpoint never missed a beat.

After that I decided that it needed to feel a little more power under it, so I mounted it on my 308 and started banging away, I'd shoot 10 rounds, throw the scope, shoot 10 throw the scope and so on. I did that for 100 rounds.  It's still ticking. So I switched it over to my 30-06 and shot 40 rounds from that, tossing the scope after 20 rounds, it still kept going. After that range day the Tacpoint sat in the trunk of my car through deer season until thanksgiving weekend.  

Thanksgiving weekend I met up with MisterPX, El_Roto and Mugenlude to do a little shooting. I dug the Tacpoint out of the car and found it actually had stayed turned off. I turned it on and it fired right up the dot was a little weak at first but the optic was cold so it should be xpected. I've seen similar happen with Aimpoints and have seen some discussion of this aorund the board too. I didn't shoot to much with the Tacpoint that day, but it did get thrown around some more. In fact on one throw it hit that cold hard ground with enough force to pop the lens cover off the rear lens this was the first time this had happened. No scratches, scrapes or cracked lenses. I was happy. And those flimsy scope covers, well they are still flimsy, but they haven't broken or come apart yet.

The Abuse to come:

I still have a couple guns that the Tacpoint needs to be tried out on, including the 12ga and the AK. I also want to see if a buddy will let me mount it on his 1919 semi-auto with a crank on it. I'd love to crank off a belt or two to see how the Tacpoint holds up on that. I still have a couple of other tests I'd like to do to it too. One being a water test, both salt water and fresh water. But before I do those I want to run it through a complete carbine course, good thing the Wisconsin crew is doing another one in May.

It has spent 24hrs burried in snow recently and come out working. The dot on the first setting was a bit weak at first but once it warmed up a bit it went right back to being nice and bright again. It's going back out for another 24hr's in the snow soon.

I'm still trying to think of a few more things to do to this optic, to test it's durability. But I think so far what it's been through has proven one thing. It can take some abuse and keep ticking.

I never looked at the tacpoint as a replacment/alternative to the Aimpoint in a life or death situation, like say over in the sandbox, or even as a sight I'd put on a gun that I was planing to use as a home defense weapon, or duty weapon if I were a LEO. But if you want something less expesive for a rifle that you only shoot at the range, or that isn't your go to gun when things go bump in the night, the Tacpoint seems to be a good buy to me at this time. That may change as I beat and abuse it some more.  Right now though, I'm impressed with the "toy" optic. Though I'm still not sold on dot sights. I know the advantages of them, but somethings aren't for everybody. So even if I decide I don't want to get an Aimpoint for the M4 clone, I think I'll keep this tacpoint around if it survives the next couple months and use it for a .22lr upper for tree rat hunting.

I'll come back and update this as I abuse the optic more, and i'll update this after the DE carbine class too.

ETA: DAMN POST 8K!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#37]
that was darn amazing... I completely enjoyed reading that last post.

-Jason
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By Noner:

-Jason

I agree sir! Now THAT is an infomative post! Great job photoman. Keep beating on it. When it does finaly break, you can let us know what the warranty service is like.
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Noner:

-Jason

I agree sir! Now THAT is an infomative post! Great job photoman. Keep beating on it. When it does finaly break, you can let us know what the warranty service is like.

Thanks guys.

I don't think I'll venture into the warranty service thing though. It will probably end up being one of those things where yer just better off buying another.

Link Posted: 1/20/2005 7:12:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lt557] [#40]
Here is my Tacpoint update.........

I replaced the caps with Butler Creek caps from the get go. I have nothing to say about the durability of the factory caps.

I ran the unit at max power for a week straight, at the end of the week the dot was too dim for bright sunlight use. Still good enough for shaded areas or indoors. I stopped the testing at that point due to it being mounted on a duty weapon that must be kept serviceable at all times.

The clicks are 1/2 MOA it took me 9 rounds (3 round groups) to zero at 50 yards. I was using one inch grid paper, the clicks proved to be accurate.

I used the Tacpoint at a L.E. CQB course. It was subjected to the typical shocks and bumps consistant with CQB work and held it zero.

I belive it is a fine sight for the money.

More to follow......
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 11:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combatvet] [#41]
I am sure some one will wise crack with a , but I think it is great what you have done. I love my TP, but I love my AP as well, my next sight will be a bushnell or eotech. I can't wait for your update, you have done us a great service. Can you snap some photo's next time? You know mid launch, before and after. Keep it up, take care and happy TP abuse.
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Combatvet:
I am sure some one will wise crack with a , but I think it is great what you have done. I love my TP, but I love my AP as well, my next sight will be a bushnell or eotech. I can't wait for your update, you have done us a great service. Can you snap some photo's next time? You know mid launch, before and after. Keep it up, take care and happy TP abuse.

Pics o it in flight will be no problem
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 12:06:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SigPacker] [#43]
Well if nothing else, I love my Tacpoint L... Picked it up for $119 at Federal Way Discount Guns...  I love it!  I think I mounted it a little to far back.  But I like it!  It has held 0 at 100 yards the first 2 times shooting my M4gery at the range....

Maybe I am a poser, but I added some gaffers tape to the logo...it honestly is pretty ugly... lol

SP
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#44]
So far, my Tacpoint has functioned well.  Of course my rifle is just a plinker, but I am still impressed.  Glad I got an older one without the blue ring.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By Eclipsester:

According to Hakko, Tacpoints are now made in China. There are a few Japanese Tpoints floating around out there still. If it is all black, it is Japan, if it is a blue ring, it is Chinese. But be aware that the "blue" comes off rather easy and some jackhole could try to sell you Chinese as a Japanese. I don't think it really makes much of a difference. The Japanese sights have been known to leak.

Japanese ones leak what, the nitrogen gas?
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 10:59:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: photoman] [#46]
I re-burried the optic lastnight in the snow. I'll be pulling it out tonight. I burried it about a foot or under the snow to keep it closer to the surface because it was cold last night. We'll see how it looks at about 8pm which will make it 24hrs burried. ETA: it was 3 degrees last night, and it's 25, 14 with the windchill.

ETA: Ok I pulled the optic last night I left it in longer than I thought I would. The snow that was on top of the optic had actually melted down enough to expose it. The pics of the outside don't really say much but I do have some. I tried to get pics looking through it but it was to late out to have decent enough light to get a good pic. When I turned on the optic it fired right up and was nice and bright. There was no sign of any water getting into the optic. Which is good. Some condensation on the outside of the lenses, but that can be expected with anyoptic, it just wiped off no problems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Well if my buddy makes it out to the range this saturday with his 1919 the tacpoint is going for a ride!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By photoman:
Well if my buddy makes it out to the range this saturday with his 1919 the tacpoint is going for a ride!!

Link Posted: 1/26/2005 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By photoman:

i'm going to try and get him to let me put it on the FA UZI as well if he brings that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had a TacPoint 1 all-black Japanese version for about 6 months now.
I also have an Aimpoint Comp M2.

I like them both.
There are some differences in the housing, caps and threads, adjusters, and the way the illumination settings work, and of course the battery life is much longer with the Aimpoint.

They have both taken their share of shooting, and carrying, and they are both holding up quite well.

For the difference in money, I think the TacPoint is a helluva good buy.

I'll guarantee you that if that red dot is on you, you're one dead kitty, whether it is the dot from the TacPoint or the Aimpoint.

For me, I'd feel quite adequately equipped with either one.

I think that all this discussion about the perceived lack of qualities of the  TacPoint is from a very biased point-of-view and probably in most cases they haven't ever even used a TacPoint. They are too busy trying to knock it based on some(probably) financial interests in promoting Aimpoint.

The "China argument" isn't going to work on me, I have a Japanese model. And the Aimpoint is Swedish(a socialist country which isn't exactly the bastion of republicanism, either).

I'd say that if you can't afford to get an Aimpoint, then the TacPoint is a fine sight for the money, and offers similar mounting options as the Aimpoint, and works fine.

The bottom line of all this is whether it works well or not, and it does, from my experiences, and also some of the torture testing that Photoman and others have posted.

As an owner of both brands, I'd recommend a TacPoint to those people needing a sight on a budget.
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top