Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2024 7:45:03 PM EDT
Hi guys, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on an issue I've experienced buying a brand new Sig Spear LT 5.56 16" from a local Dealer which appears to have the handguard that only comes standard on the Spear LT 762X39 11" Pistol/SBR. I was so excited to see and purchase the rifle that I didn't even notice it had the wrong handguard until I got it home. I'm never one to jump into crazy conclusions, but in my mind, there's only two possible ways this rifle ended up with the wrong handguard prior to my purchase of it. It was either built by the Sig Factory incorrectly, or, it was changed by the Dealer before they put it on the shelf for sale. Have you seen this type of Factory goof before? I'm sure Sig will make it right, but I'm a bit cautious to shop at the particular Dealer in the future either way. Photos of the correct handguard vs the one my rifle came with;

First Photo = correct handguard for the 5.56 16" Spear LT:

Second Photo = incorrect handguard that my 5.56 16" Spear LT came with new from a local Dealer:

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
What’s wrong with it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
So instead of the longer handguard on your 16” , you have the shorter one found on 11” variants? Am I understanding that correctly?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:05:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobweaver] [#3]
Two different barrel & gas system lengths in those photos. You got the short barreled hand guard on your 16” rifle?

Is your gas block adjustment knob in line with the cut out to adjust it or is it in front of it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Picture of your actual rifle?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the actual rifle I purchased new from a local Dealer. The handguard is not what comes on the 5.56 16" rifle from Sig; installed is the 7.62x39 11"/SBR rifle standard stock handguard. The handguard that should be on my new rifle is the longer 5.56 LT 13" handguard. I have no idea how or why it was built incorrectly, but I plan to contact Sig tomorrow and arrange an RMA so that they can correct the problem by installing the handguard is should come with by default. Here's a link to a photo of my actual rifle as it came new from a local Dealer;

My new Sig 5.56 Spear LT 16"

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
Two different barrel & gas system lengths in those photos. You got the short barreled hand guard on your 16” rifle?

Is your gas block adjustment knob in line with the cut out to adjust it or is it in front of it?
View Quote

Hi Bob, yes, the SBR/Pistol short handguard which comes standard on the 7.62x39 Spear LT is what is on my new rifle purchased from a local Dealer. This handguard is not made to even fit their SBR/Pistol 5.56 Spear LT setup, much less the 5.56 16" Spear LT that I have. I posted a link to my actual rifle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:
So instead of the longer handguard on your 16” , you have the shorter one found on 11” variants? Am I understanding that correctly?
View Quote

Hi thedownzero, yes you are correct. The worst part is that this short handguard on my new rifle is not even for a 5.56 LT, it's specifically designed for the 7.62x39 LT series.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
What’s wrong with it?
View Quote

Hi 45-Seventy, my new rifle was either not built right, or, someone swapped handguards before I purchased it new from a local Dealer. I need the correct 13" handguard length it should have come with, for accessory and hand-grip spacing. Additionally, the one installed now is designed to fit on the Spear LT 7.62x39 11" Pistol/SBR barrel. So, keeping this on my 5.56 16" is not an option.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:09:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#9]
Just hit up Sig and see what they say.

I’d venture a guess they’ll swap it out for you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Nipkinz:

Hi 45-Seventy, my new rifle was either not built right, or, someone swapped handguards before I purchased it new from a local Dealer. I need the correct 13" handguard length it should have come with, for accessory and hand-grip spacing. Additionally, the one installed now is designed to fit on the Spear LT 7.62x39 11" Pistol/SBR barrel. So, keeping this on my 5.56 16" is not an option.
View Quote

Contact sig and find out what it shipped with. The LGS may have swapped it. It's possible.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:13:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#11]

Hi Bob, yes, the SBR/Pistol short handguard which comes standard on the 7.62x39 Spear LT is what is on my new rifle purchased from a local Dealer. This handguard is not made to even fit their SBR/Pistol 5.56 Spear LT setup, much less the 5.56 16" Spear LT that I have. I posted a link to my actual rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bobweaver:

It really shouldn’t cause any issues outside of the gas adjustment cutout being in the wrong spot.  A SPEAR LT handguard is a SPEAR LT handguard, so it will “fit” from a mechanical standpoint.

I’d still hit up Sig though if the local dealer isn’t helping.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
It's hard to tell from your pic if it's blocking access to the gas adjustment. If so there's a chance it's a mixup. If it's not it could be something they started doing. Frequently they change stuff like this without telling anyone or updating pictures and info on their website.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
It's hard to tell from your pic if it's blocking access to the gas adjustment. If so there's a chance it's a mixup. If it's not it could be something they started doing. Frequently they change stuff like this without telling anyone or updating pictures and info on their website.
View Quote

Great point Alaskanfire, thank you. I'll get in touch with Sig and find out whether it was a goof on their side, or an unpublished update (which would be highly unusual since this handguard is only advertised / sold for the 7.62x39 SBR/Pistol variant). Great responses to my first post guys, thank you all very much! I'll update this thread after I speak with Sig, thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:25:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#14]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
View Quote

It is blocking the adjustment. In his pic, you see the tail end of his gasblock in the cutout. The wings would be visible, if it was in the proper spot.

Goodluck, OP. An interesting mixup, if from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:25:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Final Update:

As recommended, I reached out to Sig customer support today with regard to the handguard concerns on my new rifle. They agreed that it's not the correct handguard for the weapon. I've received an RMA # and a free FedEx shipping label. They will put the correct handguard on the upper and ship it back to me, all free of charge. Excellent resolution! Thanks again for your advice and responses.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Final Update:

As recommended, I reached out to Sig customer support today with regard to the handguard concerns on my new rifle. They agreed that it's not the correct handguard for the weapon. I've received an RMA # and a free FedEx shipping label. They will put the correct handguard on the upper and ship it back to me, all free of charge. Excellent resolution! Thanks again for your advice and responses.
View Quote

Nice.

Weird mix up on their part
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Final Update:

View Quote

Right on. Glad to hear you're being taken care of.

Hopefully you can get out and shoot it, within a week.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you ever contact the dealer about this issue? Is it possible they pulled a switch-a-rou? Yes, that is a possibility, but I doubt it. When you bought it, you and a store employee both looked at the rifle. Since you didn't notice it, it could be that a store didn't notice either. How would they have ended up with a 7.62x39 pistol hand guard? I could see were someone might want a longer hand guard on a shorter barrel, but if there was someone that wanted a longer hand guard, it still would have been a 7.62x39 gas system. They would have the same problem you have with the opening in the rail being in the wrong place for the gas system. It would seem to me that this would be a problem that came from SIG, not from the LGS.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Not that it really matters, but I doubt your new handguard will match the color of your upper.  They will be "shades apart".
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By canon3825:
Did you ever contact the dealer about this issue? Is it possible they pulled a switch-a-rou? Yes, that is a possibility, but I doubt it. When you bought it, you and a store employee both looked at the rifle. Since you didn't notice it, it could be that a store didn't notice either. How would they have ended up with a 7.62x39 pistol hand guard? I could see were someone might want a longer hand guard on a shorter barrel, but if there was someone that wanted a longer hand guard, it still would have been a 7.62x39 gas system. They would have the same problem you have with the opening in the rail being in the wrong place for the gas system. It would seem to me that this would be a problem that came from SIG, not from the LGS.

Scott
View Quote

Hi Scott, your logic is spot on. It was a factory oops.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
Not that it really matters, but I doubt your new handguard will match the color of your upper.  They will be "shades apart".
View Quote

Hi Gary, fortunately the new handguard is a perfect match.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Hi Gary, fortunately the new handguard is a perfect match.
View Quote

That is AWESOME news!  I needed a top handguard replaced on a LWRC in FDE once, and the replacement was almost a greenish color.  Glad Sig they took care of you.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top