Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2024 4:38:10 PM EDT
I got a pair of CAR/XM 177 short HGs with some other parts.
They sort of look like Colts, but not for sure.
Dull semi shiny, not the gloss I have ssen on some.
If I recall, there should be a male and a female HG, the little retainers, these are both female, so I'm sure there is a "male on male" pair out there sharing a build in domestic hapiness....
Ideas on manufacture? I got them for a GAU mixmaster build, so they don't HAVE to be Colts, but would be neat if they were.
Thanks.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hk45shooter] [#1]
They look like Colt to me.

They will fit together. There is no male or female only sides on them. One side of the Hg is male, the opposite is female. Designed so they can be replaced individually.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeBud] [#2]
Yes, they are Colts. Congrats. :)

Originally Posted By 762AP:
If I recall, there should be a male and a female HG, the little retainers, these are both female, so I'm sure there is a "male on male" pair out there sharing a build in domestic hapiness....
View Quote

As mentioned, they are all the same. If you notice, each one has the same "ridge" (running between what I think you are calling the "little retainers") on one side and a "valley" on the other. When installed, you then get the male/female relationship.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoeBud:
Yes, they are Colts. Congrats. :)

As mentioned, they are all the same. If you notice, each one has the same "ridge" (running between what I think you are calling the "little retainers") on one side and a "valley" on the other. When installed, you then get the male/female relationship.
View Quote

I see that now. Much appreciated. I was looking at the half dozen "pegs" on them, 2 front, middle and rear.
Groovy, they'll go with the Colt barrel and BC, everything else is a complete hash.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Just fyi, I was looking at the new H&R handguards today and comparing them to my colt 6 holes. They are very very close to the same.

But one thing I noticed my colts have that no other 6 hole I have has, LSO, OK tool&die, and H&R, is the little mold marks I curled in Red.  Looking at pictures online and it seems this is a trait of the colts.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By seand1111:
Just fyi, I was looking at the new H&R handguards today and comparing them to my colt 6 holes. They are very very close to the same.

But one thing I noticed my colts have that no other 6 hole I have has, LSO, OK tool&die, and H&R, is the little mold marks I curled in Red.  Looking at pictures online and it seems this is a trait of the colts.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/24834/IMG_0746-3178485.jpg
View Quote

Wow, you have a set identical to mine! Nice.
Good info. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Wow, you have a set identical to mine! Nice.
Good info. Thank you.
View Quote

lol. You had the best picture showing these mold marks!  

There is an old thread, probably archived now, around here comparing the colts, RRA, and one other unknown brand 6 holes, but they never commented on the mold marks, even though they were visible in the pics of the colts and not the other brands.

Anyhow, nice score. You can shine them up with a bit of polish. They look nice when shiny, especially with a shiny grip and a nice acetate stock.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:16:56 AM EDT
[#7]
They're going to go on the "50 Shades of Grey" GAU-ish knock off.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:53:52 AM EDT
[#8]
What are the colt handgaurds worth?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2320/AFcarbine2_jpg-3178616.JPG
View Quote

Nice. I like that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
What are the colt handgaurds worth?
View Quote

$100 plus. Probably closer to $125 plus now from what I have seen on the EE recently.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By seand1111:
View Quote

seand1111, thank you for that info. I was trying to compare Colt and H&R's last night and couldn't spot a difference. I always just look at the two mirrored "L" shape supports below the heat shields. Up until H&R, to my knowledge, Colt was the only one that looked like that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice. I'm working on something close to that, but using an 11.5" barrel & a partial fence lower. I have not decided yet if I'm using an upper with or without forward assist. I have both.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2320/AFcarbine2_jpg-3178616.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#13]
That looks great!  Add another build to the todo list!  Three prong flash hider, thin profile barrel, CAR stock, perfect!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seand1111] [#14]
Originally Posted By JoeBud:

seand1111, thank you for that info. I was trying to compare Colt and H&R's last night and couldn't spot a difference. I always just look at the two mirrored "L" shape supports below the heat shields. Up until H&R, to my knowledge, Colt was the only one that looked like that.
View Quote

NP.

Here is a great thread.  With a bunch of good info from the OP.  I also added more to the end of it. with pics of the H&R and OKT's.  OP has lots of great pictures of Colts in it, so no real need to add more to that.

Colt 6 Holes
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:08:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hk45shooter:
Nice. I'm working on something close to that, but using an 11.5" barrel & a partial fence lower. I have not decided yet if I'm using an upper with or without forward assist. I have both.

View Quote

Sy Richardson don't believe you. Gonna need some pics of that project.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:09:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP] [#16]
Originally Posted By jdtbone:
That looks great!  Add another build to the todo list!  Three prong flash hider, thin profile barrel, CAR stock, perfect!
View Quote

Thanks, I got a grenade spring for it too, because.....reasons.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top