Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2023 10:47:12 PM EDT
Is there a standard size steel target for different ranges like 100, 200, 300yrd shooting?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I train on A/C sized steel or A zone

Steel can be too forgiving and make you sloppy but it’s convenient so I favor smaller steel targets.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
I train on A/C sized steel or A zone

Steel can be too forgiving and make you sloppy but it’s convenient so I favor smaller steel targets.
View Quote

At what distance?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
There are common steel targets, but not really any "standard" for how they would be shot with a rifle, to my knowledge.  

It may be easier to think of the target size in MOA or MILs instead of size and distance.
Example, a 5moa target would be roughly 5" at 100, 10" at 200, 15" at 300, etc.

This will convey the relative size of what you are shooting at with one numerical metric instead of two.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:44:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Torso width at 300yds and head+torso height at 600yds are 6 Minutes Of Angle or 1.8 Mil.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:08:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MONGO45] [#5]
Originally Posted By ArizonaAR:

At what distance?
View Quote

Depends on what I’m training

For example I just bought an A zone steel to start working on rifle doubles at 30-40 yards after watching Matt Pranka doing them at 50y

A/C steel at 25y is great to incorporate on pistol as a start and stop plate on a drill with cardboard targets of different difficulty mixed in  

It’s really dependent upon what skills you are working on so set them up as needed while keeping in mind the recommended stand off.

I won’t shoot rifle on steel closer than 25y or pistol closer than 15y but always use eye protection because bounce back can happen.

I routinely train from 0-200 yards with running and positions built in so let your imagination drive your target setup.

Example on buzzer drop to prone at 100y and put 2 hits on two steel targets then run to 50y 2 hits on each kneeling then run to 25y engage an array of cardboard targets once completed rifle on safe and engage steel targets with pistol to hits each to stop the timer.

You can come up with a million different combinations and scenarios. My training buddy is a 15 year SF guy and the competition pushes us both.

Break down what skills you want to work on like target transitions, accuracy, speed, movement, positions, etc and setup your drill accordingly

We typically run a drill 4-5 times each and then reconfigure things to work the next skill.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone, this is what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:39:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#7]
I have mostly 10 inch plates.

I also have a 16 inch I use at 600 when it's real windy. I only use steel at 200y plus. And cardboard cutouts at closer ranges. I just don't want to chew up the plates. I shoot the same plates at 10 yards with pistol and I have already eaten jacket spalling in the neck thanks to a chewed up plate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#8]
2 MOA is a small target for steel.

4" at 200
6" at 300
8" at 400
10"at 500
12" at 600

I would not go any smaller.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My place uses 12”.  We went for quantity over quality, they are all AR 500.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#10]
Originally Posted By ArizonaAR:

At what distance?
View Quote

All distances.

People don't change sizes.  I don't usually shoot rifle closer than 50, it's pretty angled.  Pistol I've shot way too close, probably like 7 yards.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top