Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2023 8:42:00 PM EDT
Any experience with slip 2000 gun oil good or bad?

I hear you can use it as a CLP. Is that accurate?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It was great and made wiping down the barrel of my Glock easy. Using Lucas now because of the needle applicator and smaller bottle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By km-ar15:
Any experience with slip 2000 gun oil good or bad?

I hear you can use it as a CLP. Is that accurate?

Thanks
View Quote

When I did a brief research on this same topic several people said slip 2000 doesn’t contain any solvent….so not good for cleaning at all. Supposedly good lube  though. One guy said he cleaned with clp, lubed with slip 2000. They supposedly dont have any negative interactions if the mix.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a good oil but it's not a CLP.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I remember they made a change or introduced a new product called E.W.L for extreme weapons lube. Same bottle but red instead of yellow on the label. Think that’s the one with *C*lp properties. Don’t think I ever made it through an entire bottle before the cap failed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It's my go-to now for pistols and rifles. Works well and I like that it's non-toxic.

I got a bigger bottle and put it in a needle bottle from Brownells.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used slip products for 9-10 years
No complaints  slip2000 and grease,
EWL30 is a little heavier if you want
They have a cleaner and some other products also
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Tried their carbon killer. Was underwhelmed. Far less odor than most other products though
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:04:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
My go to is slip 725 for cleaning slip ewl for lubricant. Holds up way better especially if you use a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the EWL version.  No complaints.  Of course, you can find someone who says that about any product that's ever been used for gun lube.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Calculate your cost per quart. That's why I use trans fluid or 10w-30 synthetic for Gun Oil, Lucas Red & Tacky 2 foot grease.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used the original slip 2000 quite a bit.  When they brought out EWL I switched to that exclusively, also use the EWL grease
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
It’s not a good cleaner or lube, but ARs and handguns don’t require much of a lube so Slip is generally good enough.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I like that Slip is non toxic, especially shooting suppressed.
However, a quart of any motor oil will work and probably last a lifetime.

No CLP cleans worth a shit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Been using their products for 15 years now, great customer support if you happen to want to contact them
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a NSN for the red sticker one. It acts as a mild CLP but you're better off getting their 725 cleaner along with the gun oil.

It's a great product. Yes you can use it as a CLP if you wish. You'll also find as you use the product that it's much easier to clean your weapon in the future especially if you stick with it completely and not use anything else.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Slip 2000 is the latest gun oil being used by the armory where I work. While I wouldn't call it a cleaner, I have used it as such for basic carbon/soot.  I don't see anything fantastic about it...but I am not a stickler for lubricants/cleaners.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of the newer gun oils, that aren't vegetable based,  say 2005 forward, are simply synthetic motor oils, mix with color additives and other additives that the company deems necessary, then they mark it up. A few scant ounces of motor oil for $10-$20.

Buy a quart of synthetic motor oil and a quart of synthetic transmission fluid, and mix them 50/50, or simply use the oil by itself.

It will last you for years and years. I gave one quart to a friend. I'm still on the same quart I've had since 2008.

Here's what makes it even cheaper. When I change oil in my cars, I take the quart containers that I poured in the car, put the tops back on,  and turn them upside down to drain for a week. I then take what pools up and pour it into the container my gun oil is in. I get my friends to give me theirs and I do the same. I've got over a half a quart still. It'll never run out.

All I paid was $8 in 2008.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Slip2000 EWL pretty much exclusively on my ARs, Glocks, .22s, 12ga & full house custom 1911s (basically everything) & their cleaner as well. Went to it on the recommendations of Pat, Sully and others many years ago…their products give me no reason to use anything else.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Fabulous product for any firearm. My go to for everything is just the standard version. It doesn’t clean like a solvent but once the metal has been treated it makes cleaning so much easier. It is fantastic for shotgun barrels as it prevents buildup and improves patterns. After a trap tournament I would fire 300 rounds and at the end of the day the barrel would only have residue from the last shot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#22]
My experience with the 2000 EWL has been that it is great as a lube, but, I would not use it as a cleaner or preservative.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Gun Lube and EWL are both on my bench and regularly used; both have served me well for lube and preservation
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mo4040:
My experience with the 2000 EWL has been that it is great as a lube, but, I would not use it as a cleaner or preservative.
View Quote

Same experience here. I'm no longer enamored with it and have moved on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been using Slip 2000 EWL since it came out. I like that's its non toxic.

Before applying it, you need to degrease whatever you want to lubricate. I use Simple Green to degrease, then rinse with water, blow out with air if needed, then let dry. After that, I lubricate with Slip 2000 EWL. After that, just wipe off your gun part and apply more Slip 2000 EWL as needed.

Since Slip 2000 EWL isn't good at cleaning barrels, I use Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner which is another biodegradable bore cleaner. If you are worried about rust Ballistol is a good protectant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Y’all realize that Slip performs about like water in the 4-ball wear test?

The stuff is literally not a lubricant.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:43:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
Y’all realize that Slip performs about like water in the 4-ball wear test?

The stuff is literally not a lubricant.
View Quote

Would like to see the test results for Slip and other gun lubes using an actual 4 ball test method done professionally, do you have them?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Oil is oil.

MobilOne. Done!

But we all have our failings. If I was a cheap SOB or one of the poors, I'd still use Mobil. I have "some" put back because it stores easier and so far, the bottles don't leak. You know, just in case.

CLP is for suckers. Cleaning and lubing are two opposite things. But they sold a jillion bottles of CLP to the Army.

RemOil. Discovered by accident it also seems to have carbon-removing ability. So I go with that in pistols and areas in other firearms that need un-carboning...

If you need non-toxic, MPro7. Water-based. Also does a decent job on shotgun wadding/fouling. I like their oil too.

Slip2000. Mostly what I use. EWL is very good but weapons I've cleaned and lubed with the standard oil and set aside in the safe for a long time, still lubed when I take'em out.

As for copper, I'm currently using Pro-shot copper solvent. Unlike the other heavier ammoniated solvents, this is more moderate. Only need one fan at the door to vent the fumes. If you use it regular, you don't have fouling that's of note.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I like Slip EWL and Geissele Go-Juice for non toxic options
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

Would like to see the test results for Slip and other gun lubes using an actual 4 ball test method done professionally, do you have them?
View Quote
I haven't finished watching, but he does a lubricity testor:

Best CLP? Hoppe’s 9 vs Break Free CLP, Slip 2000, Ballistol, Frog Lube, Extreme Force, Clenzoil

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I use remoil to blast shit away when cleaning. Hoppe's bore scrub if it is super bad. ALG go juice has been my go to, but I recently bought some slip 2000 to try out. So far it is no different than my go juice.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top