Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2023 11:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver]
I shoot every weekend and the cleaning is always a chore. Decided I'd give a parts cleaner a whirl, picked up a 20 gallon tank.

For guys that use it, how much do you cut slip 2000 in a tank?

Anybody mix ballistol and water for a parts cleaner? Added benefit that it has rust prevention.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you meaning the 725 cleaner/degreaser or the carbon killer?

The general ballistol oil would be a poor fit for a parts washer.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Slip 2000 sucks as a lube and a cleaner.

Use mil-spec CLP from Safariland or  Radco if you want something that actually performs
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 7:48:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
Slip 2000 sucks as a lube and a cleaner.

Use mil-spec CLP from Safariland or  Radco if you want something that actually performs
View Quote

I'm talking about the 725 degreaser they make for ultrasonic and parts washers, not oil.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 5:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: colt-fan] [#4]
I don't cut it at all. I buy the concentrate from slip and mix per instructions. You can dilute but then it's probably not as effective. I use in an ultrasonic so I don't need as much as you may.

A lot of people use the aluminum safe simple green in parts washers and then dry out with air hose and lubricate well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:27:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#5]
Sometimes I would spend 2-3 hours cleaning and other times 4 hours or more cleaning.

I now reduced my cleaning to just an hour and a half. I got this process down pretty consistent since about 2 years ago now and can safely endorse it. What I do is use Boretech eliminator on everywhere. I put the solvent on a patch and simply use their pick to swab it everywhere. I use a nylon brush and whatnot to get it scrubbing with the solvent. After doing this about 2-3 times over with a wet patch and scrubbing at all the wear points and carbon areas (inside bolt carriers, inside the rails of a pistol, bolt face, slide face, inside the upper receiver, etc) I would blast it down with gun scrubber. Then I would apply my clp-ish product. I would never use it in places that don't have carbon buildup though, like the lower or anywhere external.

I can show you a situation where I take a clean patch and you cannot see one black spot anywhere on the bcg inside or out. I can spin it 360 inside the carrier and not a single black spot.

But yeah this boretech stuff cuts down. Don't let the word "bore" truck you to only using it in the bore.

The one slip product that I really wanted to work was their carbon cleaner tub thing. I really like the idea of putting a bcg into that green liquid and let it soak in. I had mixed success with it but it does seem to work. I also bought the quart size thing (I think that's what it was but a bigger bottle of that green carbon killer thing) and it worked pretty good I think but never could get the process down with it and again spent 3-4 hours letting that thing soak and cleaning it and letting it soak, and cleaning it, etc. Never consistent with it but sometimes I would have a "ah-ha" moment where it comes out spotlessly clean.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:51:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#6]
I use parts washer solvent I buy from Tractor Supply….. PSC 1000. Use it for automotive repair and gun cleaning. Works very well. Also use some Hoppes, Kroil, and occasionally Sweets for barrel cleaning. Mostly just the PSC 1000. Great cleaner and dries residue free.

I like and use Slip EWL. Have fired many rounds and it stays lubricated and functioning. Clean with PSC 1000 and lube with EWL is a recipe for functioning firearms. Good stuff.

Many years ago in Afghanistan we were getting .50 machine guns brand new in the box. Each .50 came with a bottle of regular Slip2000. Thought that was interesting at the time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Tractor Supply PSC1000. You’re welcome.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top