Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 2:13:46 PM EDT
I saw this on the MAF Corp website about a month ago.  The photo clearly shows the back of an A1 type dust cover.

So, I sent an email asking if the front had the small rectangular "pad".  Never got a reply.
For the price, I decided to take a chance and bought two, hoping I would get lucky.  I didn't get lucky.  I got an A2 type dust cover, and only one at that.  And, the "C" clip doesn't fit the groove in the pivot pin.

I've tried contacting MAF, but they don't give a phone number, only email.  Again, no reply as yet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar154all] [#1]
IM me your address, I have a couple clips I can send you.

I have noticed that the later production rods and clips are bigger than they used to be.

Can't help you in the A1 pad

Check the EE, I saw a few listed...

Just checked, all gone.
Sorry pal
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:22:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shane733] [#2]
They also have what looks to be a phosphate finished BCG for $59 - https://maf-arms.com/product/ar15-fa-bcg/ They also have some blem ones for $42. If they were phosphate finished and half way decent, I would be fine with putting new screws in and sealing the gas key. I like tinkering AND saving money. So I sent an email asking them did they know the manufacture of them, if they were in fact phosphate coated. Did they know if they were chromed lined? Also did they have any idea of what steel the bolt and carrier was made of. There is no specs whatsoever on them. It does not even say if they for 223 or 7.62

I got a reply back......

Shane, those are a lot of questions. If their answer is important to you, then a $50 BCG isn’t right for you.

Also, we have no idea.

Thanks, and I love you.
-MAF Matt
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar154all] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shane733:

I got a reply back......

Shane, those are a lot of questions. If their answer is important to you, then a $50 BCG isn’t right for you.

Also, we have no idea.

Thanks, and I love you.
-MAF Matt
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#4]
What a way for the customer service. Automatically fall into my block list of doing business with seeing that response.

Don't care how cheap the products they are selling for. The team that treat customer like dirt and not taking inquiry seriously will drive people off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If OP had not actually ordered something and got it, I would think this is not even a real business selling real items. The BCG description was already bizarre but after that reply, I think I have to pass.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Shit made in China?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is that cheap stay away.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mtomso7464:
If it is that cheap stay away.
View Quote

The market is ABSOLUTELY FLOODED with cheap parts/guns.

I was never a fan of mfgs putting their logo on individual parts...  but now, I'm starting to see the benefit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Seriously? You actually gave this guy your money?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ar154all:
IM me your address, I have a couple clips I can send you.

I have noticed that the later production rods and clips are bigger than they used to be.

Can't help you in the A1 pad

Check the EE, I saw a few listed...

Just checked, all gone.
Sorry pal
View Quote

Thanks for the effort, but I found out an E-type clip fits, and I had an extra one.  So I'm just down by one cover assembly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:38:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dex223] [#11]
They also have what looks to be a phosphate finished BCG for $59 - https://maf-arms.com/product/ar15-fa-bcg/ They also have some blem ones for $42. If they were phosphate finished and half way decent, I would be fine with putting new screws in and sealing the gas key. I like tinkering AND saving money. So I sent an email asking them did they know the manufacture of them, if they were in fact phosphate coated. Did they know if they were chromed lined? Also did they have any idea of what steel the bolt and carrier was made of. There is no specs whatsoever on them. It does not even say if they for 223 or 7.62

I got a reply back......

Also, we have no idea.

Thanks, and I love you.
-MAF Matt
View Quote

There's a thread on one of our forums where somebody did buy one of the $42 Blem BCGs.  All he had to do was tighten and re-stake the screws for it to work.  That fact that he got it was what made me go ahead and buy something.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]
That site/seller looks sketchy AF. Something about the whole vibe of the site seems hipster and like they’re trying too hard to be edgy and cool. Do they actually sell any products that aren’t blems? Makes you kind of wonder. More effort on marketing than quality.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dex223:

There's a thread on one of our forums where somebody did buy one of the $42 Blem BCGs.  All he had to do was tighten and re-stake the screws for it to work.  That fact that he got it was what made me go ahead and buy something.
View Quote

That is what I was thinking. I have a list somewhere of machine companies that make BCGs. Many make them for the big name brand companies and also for the lower brand companies. Same steel, same machine, same everything other than one just carries a big name brand. I figured if it was a decent phosphate coated BCG that just needed the gas key lapped on a piece of glass or stone, some good screws torqued and staked proper, they would make good BCGs for some retro budget builds. Plus I like tinkering and fixing broken things. Being a poor person with a love for all things 2A, I like quality items but I also really like saving money and getting deals. But heck, he couldn't even tell me what caliber they were for lol. Now I got to go find this thread you speak of :D
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]

That is what I was thinking. I have a list somewhere of machine companies that make BCGs. Many make them for the big name brand companies and also for the lower brand companies. Same steel, same machine, same everything other than one just carries a big name brand. I figured if it was a decent phosphate coated BCG that just needed the gas key lapped on a piece of glass or stone, some good screws torqued and staked proper, they would make good BCGs for some retro budget builds. Plus I like tinkering and fixing broken things. Being a poor person with a love for all things 2A, I like quality items but I also really like saving money and getting deals. But heck, he couldn't even tell me what caliber they were for lol. Now I got to go find this thread you speak of :D
View Quote

It's this one.  MAF comments start at post #19.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Cheapest-BCGs-on-the-market-/4-785400/
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#15]
There may be some resolution...

I sent MAF another email asking about the second dust cover I didn't get.  Well, I got a phone call, then an email saying there were email issues, then an apology for the error, and was asked if I wanted the dust cover or a refund.(they actually offered to send me two new ones, and I could keep the one I had)  I accepted the refund.(I really don't need the covers unless they were retro like in the photo)  So, we'll wait a few days and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By madbubba:
Shit made in China?
View Quote

I would bet on it. Probably bought in bulk from wish or alibaba, or some other chiBay equivalent, then resold for a profit by this guy.

The fully assembled/finished bolt carrier group "chucked up" in a lathe is rich! The owner of this company is a real comedian, and he's laughing all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:

The owner of this company is a real comedian, and he's laughing all the way to the bank.
View Quote

He’s a real attorney and he is on our side of the 2A.  You may have heard him on the This Week in Guns podcast and/or watched him on his Fuddbusters YouTube channel.  MAF is likely not his bread and butter, but more likely a tax write off.  The guy’s no idiot.

All of that aside, you get what you pay for.  If you’re buying a cheap, blem BCG, I wouldn’t expect it to be as good as a name brand manufacturer’s offering.  He also offered to replace or refund a cheap dust cover.  I mean, he can’t be too terrible considering what other companies do and have done for more money?

My unbiased, cheapskate opinion, no personal experience with MAF.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top