Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 12:01:55 PM EDT
have an AR15 Colt upper receiver want to build an upper for 600yd + shooting other than 223rem want to be able to use ar15 mags and mil lower. Suggestions welcomed I plan to use an 18 to 20 inch barrel or should i just build up a 223rem. Thanks in advance. regards, PeterNNH
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#1]
Most of the popular mainstream (I.e. available factory ammo) long range AR cartridges (6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 22 ARC, .224W) these days are going to use different mags.  Might be something I’m missing, I’m sure someone will be along to tell you if so.

Depending on how far you’re wanting to shoot, I wouldn’t necessarily cross something off the list just due to mags, mags are cheap.  That said, .223 is capable of punching paper way out there, especially if you reload and can tailor things to what you need.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:50:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Most of the popular mainstream (I.e. available factory ammo) long range AR cartridges (6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 22 ARC, .224W) these days are going to use different mags.  Might be something I’m missing, I’m sure someone will be along to tell you if so.

Depending on how far you’re wanting to shoot, I wouldn’t necessarily cross something off the list just due to mags, mags are cheap.  That said, .223 is capable of punching paper way out there, especially if you reload and can tailor things to what you need.
View Quote

These are the answer, mags be damned.  There is nothing that will fit in a p-mag that is going to give any significant advantage over heavy 5.56/223

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok mags are a non issue i just want to keep my ar15 type lower so what can you all suggest, thank U for the existing and future replies. regards PeterNNH
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PeterNNH:
Ok mags are a non issue i just want to keep my ar15 type lower so what can you all suggest, thank U for the existing and future replies. regards PeterNNH
View Quote

How far is “600+” to you?  Do you reload?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
i shoot 300 to 1100 but for this rifle it would go to 800 max  i dont reload, thanks for the reply regards, PeterNNH
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
6.5 Grendel is going to have the most factory load options.  6mm ARC is about 10%-15% better in the external ballistics department, but with way less factory ammo options.

I regularly take my 14.5” 6mm ARC out to 800y and my 20” out to 1k.  

I prefer 6 ARC, especially if starting from scratch.  Better ballistics (specifically wind performance) is never a bad thing and with its popularity widening with some small DoD adoption, I’d expect factory ammo options will start growing as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#8]
Originally Posted By FRBaseball:
6MAX is going to be the easiest cartridge to get up and running with, and will provide the most reliability/durability. 6Arc will probably end up being the king once the Surefire and Geissele guns hit the market, but they aren't standard ARs.
View Quote

I can’t seem to find any 6MAX factory ammo, so I’d think that’s a non-starter for a guy who’s already said he doesn’t reload.

Disregard, there appears to be at least one source:  https://bcprecisionballistics.orchidnow.com/products

I have my own concerns about its utility as a true, pure long range round given the limitations with heavier projectiles, but time will tell.

As for 6ARC guns, the Geissele has already “hit the market” and outside of some minor component differences/improvements, I’m not seeing anything that would take it outside of the realm of being a “standard AR.”  As for Surefire, I’d be interested to see that, because I can’t seem to find a single reference to a complete Surefire gun anywhere.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top