Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2024 2:53:03 PM EDT
Thinking about a super compact "backpack" build, like a 5" barrel or so, came across this and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it? My first thought was it was probably for pistol calibers, but it seems people are using it for 5.56 and with standard bolt carriers, is that right?

http://www.tacfireinc.com/3-5-short-buffer-tube-system-standard-end-plate--p-1041.html

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:13:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#1]
So it uses a cup inserted into the carrier and a small diameter recoil spring that is seated within the carrier itself.  A guide rod attached inside of the tube then keeps everything aligned so the carrier doesn’t destroy the spring.  A weighted buffer is omitted altogether.  All for the low price of $99.

In my uneducated (not an engineer) opinion, the spring rate/weight on that thing has to be huge for such a tiny spring to be doing the same amount of work a standard carbine sized spring and buffer does.  I don’t see any way that doesn’t affect reliability in some form or fashion.  The budget pricing tells me they did little (or likely no) testing.  None of that instills very much confidence.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
So it uses a cup inserted into the carrier and a small diameter recoil spring that is seated within the carrier itself.  A guide rod attached inside of the tube then keeps everything aligned so the carrier doesn’t destroy the spring.  A weighted buffer is omitted altogether.  All for the low price of $99.

In my uneducated (not an engineer) opinion, the spring rate/weight on that thing has to be huge for such a tiny spring to be doing the same amount of work a standard carbine sized spring and buffer does.  I don’t see any way that doesn’t affect reliability in some form or fashion.  The budget pricing tells me they did little (or likely no) testing.  None of that instills very much confidence.
View Quote

My first thoughts exactly...but though there are not too many reviews to be found, the few i've seen say it works, and on 5.56 and also .300 BO

Nifty little setup if it's reliable and doesn't beat the shit out of the backend too badly.

Have also looked at a few iterations of the 5" tubes that use mini-buffers and special springs, might be a better option, I just don't have any experience with any of them, so was wondering if some folks here could provide some examples of what works well for the ultra-compact pistol build.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

My first thoughts exactly...but though there are not too many reviews to be found, the few i've seen say it works, and on 5.56 and also .300 BO

Nifty little setup if it's reliable and doesn't beat the shit out of the backend too badly.

Have also looked at a few iterations of the 5" tubes that use mini-buffers and special springs, might be a better option, I just don't have any experience with any of them, so was wondering if some folks here could provide some examples of what works well for the ultra-compact pistol build.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Deadfoot Arms kits seem to get very good reviews everywhere I’ve seen, and they’re a full inch shorter than the one in the OP.

It’s also 3.5x the price, but for a known working product that’s the route I’d go.  They also have a ton of folding and telescoping/collapsing brace options if that tickles your fancy.

https://deadfootarms.com/products/dfa-modified-cycle-system-rifle-caliber-ar-pistol-kit
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Deadfoot Arms kits seem to get very good reviews everywhere I’ve seen, and they’re a full inch shorter than the one in the OP.

It’s also 3.5x the price, but for a known working product that’s the route I’d go.  They also have a ton of folding and telescoping/collapsing brace options if that tickles your fancy.

https://deadfootarms.com/products/dfa-modified-cycle-system-rifle-caliber-ar-pistol-kit
View Quote

Wow, that is the coolest thing i've seen all day, thanks! Says it's compatible with other calibers like 7.62x39 but wouldn't that require a cut-down bolt of some sort or is it just the carrier itself that's shorter but still uses a standard length bolt?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Wow, that is the coolest thing i've seen all day, thanks! Says it's compatible with other calibers like 7.62x39 but wouldn't that require a cut-down bolt of some sort or is it just the carrier itself that's shorter but still uses a standard length bolt?
View All Quotes

Just the cut down carrier.  Most centerfire rifle cartridges utilize the standard sized AR carrier, so the regular rifle carrier kit should work with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Just the cut down carrier.  Most centerfire rifle cartridges utilize the standard sized AR carrier, so the regular rifle carrier kit should work with any of them.
View Quote

Cool, so just need to add an x39 bolt and firing pin. Was thinking of doing this originally in 5.56, but I actually have a lot more x39 in my stash and don't own an AK pistol anymore. Saw one in the pic thread where a guy did one in .458 with the short DFA setup, bet that's a fun one to shoot.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]
A 5" 5.56?  WTF for?

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
A 5" 5.56?  WTF for?

View Quote

As stated in the original post, for compactness, easy storage in small areas, backpack, under the seat of my truck etc.

Also considering a 7.5".
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]

As stated in the original post, for compactness, easy storage in small areas, backpack, under the seat of my truck etc.

Also considering a 7.5".
View Quote

Ballistics be damned. eh?  The concussion and muzzle blast from a 5" barrel would be impressive to say the least.  

If you are going short, it would be better done with most anything but 5.56; 300 BLK, 45 ACP, 9mm, etc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Ballistics be damned. eh?  The concussion and muzzle blast from a 5" barrel would be impressive to say the least.  

If you are going short, it would be better done with most anything but 5.56; 300 BLK, 45 ACP, 9mm, etc.
View Quote

Yeah that's why I started thinking about 7.62x39 instead of 5.56....but also trying to do this on the cheap and I don't have any x39 mags for AR's and not sure who makes the good ones, haven't owned an AR in x39 in 30 years or so, back then all that was around were the old USA frankenmags and they worked great for me.

Not terribly concerned about ballistics, this is just for an impressive amount of short-range firepower for worst-case emergency scenario, I have other AR rifles for rec shooting and hunting.

What got me thinking about it are these ultra short receiver extensions that are out there now, always wanted an AR pistol but without the long buffer tube sticking out, haven't checked on the state of things with regard to shorter buffer tubes in many years, and was pretty excited when I did a search about them the other day and found all these new options.

But yeah, the 5" barrel may be too over-the-top, have read about a fair amount of issues with the micro gas tubes, 7.5" and a pistol tube seems like less trouble to tune maybe?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Yeah that's why I started thinking about 7.62x39 instead of 5.56....but also trying to do this on the cheap and I don't have any x39 mags for AR's and not sure who makes the good ones, haven't owned an AR in x39 in 30 years or so, back then all that was around were the old USA frankenmags and they worked great for me.

Not terribly concerned about ballistics, this is just for an impressive amount of short-range firepower for worst-case emergency scenario, I have other AR rifles for rec shooting and hunting.

What got me thinking about it are these ultra short receiver extensions that are out there now, always wanted an AR pistol but without the long buffer tube sticking out, haven't checked on the state of things with regard to shorter buffer tubes in many years, and was pretty excited when I did a search about them the other day and found all these new options.

But yeah, the 5" barrel may be too over-the-top, have read about a fair amount of issues with the micro gas tubes, 7.5" and a pistol tube seems like less trouble to tune maybe?
View Quote

If little or no receiver extension is your end goal, have you seen the Dissent

That hasn't really been on my radar as I prefer pistol braces

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Deadfoot Arms kits seem to get very good reviews everywhere I've seen, and they're a full inch shorter than the one in the OP.

It's also 3.5x the price, but for a known working product that's the route I'd go.  They also have a ton of folding and telescoping/collapsing brace options if that tickles your fancy.

I had a 2.5" Deadfoot Arms stock setup on a 300 blk for a while. Worked really well! I just didn't use the gun as a backpack gun as intended and wanted to get some money back out of the gun.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]

If little or no receiver extension is your end goal, have you seen the Dissent

That hasn't really been on my radar as I prefer pistol braces

View Quote

I did see those, kinda cool, but pricey. Trying to do this cheap and I already have a complete lower and several stripped uppers with port doors and FA's. So really just need the barrel, handguard, gas tube, and whatever buffer tube setup works best.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
I had a 2.5" Deadfoot Arms stock setup on a 300 blk for a while. Worked really well! I just didn't use the gun as a backpack gun as intended and wanted to get some money back out of the gun.
https://i.imgur.com/lyNGork.jpg
View Quote

Nice! that's pretty much what i'm trying to do, I even have a cheapie Bushnell red-dot in a box somewhere that I could throw on it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]
This does not answer your question, but may be relevant to your interest.

I bought this KAK upper with a 4.75" barrel in 556.

Runs perfectly with an H buffer.

It's a blast.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a blast.
View Quote

In more ways than one, I expect
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
This does not answer your question, but may be relevant to your interest.

I bought this KAK upper with a 4.75" barrel in 556.

Runs perfectly with an H buffer.

It's a blast.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/Screenshot_20240410-205423_2_png-3184609.JPG
View Quote

Nice! That with the deadfoot buffer tube is kinda what i'm looking for, I think i'd definitely be using a front handstop though, lol. I could almost fit a pistol that size in my center console, would most definitely fit my backpack.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 5” upper from SLR. It runs great and is a fun range toy. I always wanted a 7.5” and when the 5” was available figured why not

It does throw a little fireball
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DSB:
I have a 5” upper from SLR. It runs great and is a fun range toy. I always wanted a 7.5” and when the 5” was available figured why not

View Quote

Have you ever shot that over a chrony?  Curious what the real world velocity might be.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Have you ever shot that over a chrony?  Curious what the real world velocity might be.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DSB:

No.  Unfortunately I don’t have one. It shoots pretty well. I don’t recall any timing or gas issues.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I have a 4.75” 556 upper. The blast isn’t nearly as bad as a 7.5. Velocity sucks. 1720 fps with Wolf Gold 223.

Wolf steel case did singe the hair off my knuckles while wrapping my support hand around the front of the Magwell. 😁
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:09:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#22]

View Quote

@WUPHF

First i've heard of this. That is some very innovated stuff. Very cool.

Reliability?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I've considered undoing the hinge on of my LAW folders (the one with the ARIC) for poops and giggles.  It would make for a super short upper.  The back half of the folder isn't really needed with the ARIC except to hold an empty buffer tube for a brace or stock.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

@WUPHF

Reliability?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gotigers:

Deadfoot Arms kits seem to get very good reviews everywhere I've seen, and they're a full inch shorter than the one in the OP.

It's also 3.5x the price, but for a known working product that's the route I'd go.  They also have a ton of folding and telescoping/collapsing brace options if that tickles your fancy.

@WUPHF

Reliability?
@gotigers see my post above. Works very well. Once feature I really like about it is you just grab the stock and extend from collapsed. No need to press the button. It is only there to collapse.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top