Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2024 8:37:23 PM EDT
Hey all, hoping one of you Pros can help me out here...

I saw a video the other day of a guy with an SBR of some very short variety which he had sling on with a single-point. Just as he was about to take off running, he clipped something near the end of his rail to something on his belt which secured the SBR while on the move.

Was this just some improvised something or other... or is there legit gear for this solution...??
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#1]
Just gat a good 2 point. I can think of no advantages to a single point, beyond an excuse for the socket on your fancy endplate (not judging. I've bought a couple.) "Stand by. I have to fasten this shit to my belt before I move". Really?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#2]
While I also agree with a 2 point sling being better.  If I were to implement a single point sling, but want to clip the rail to my belt - then a rail mounted loop point:

And then a belt mounted hook of some sort:

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It took me 2 hits to the sack to dump single points.

Both times during transitions to a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like excessive body movements when he should already be on the move. I don't see the advantage of a single point sling.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
So let's say for the sake of argument I did ditch my single point slings

What sort of setup / gear would you all recco for a Sig Sauer MCX Rattler (5.5" barrel) with a folding brace?

A regular BFG sling is just too long even if I were to connect to the QD point on the brace in the rear (as opposed to the one milled in the rear of the receiver just aft of the safety selector) and the qd point at the rear of the handguard rail in the front..... even if I never folded the brace in, which I often do when not in user. I tried this and it presents nearly as much knockaround as the single-point. This goes double if I just use the QD points on the rail and the lower..... definitely cant be swung around to the rear...

I suppose I could cut and reassemble a BFG to be shorter but it's just a strange dynamic having the front and rear sling attachment points be just a few inches apart...

Definitely open to suggestions!
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DWPW:

What sort of setup / gear would you all recco for a Sig Sauer MCX Rattler (5.5" barrel) with a folding brace?

A regular BFG sling is just too long even if I were to connect to the QD point on the brace in the rear (as opposed to the one milled in the rear of the receiver just aft of the safety selector) and the qd point at the rear of the handguard rail in the front..... even if I never folded the brace in, which I often do when not in user. I tried this and it presents nearly as much knockaround as the single-point. This goes double if I just use the QD points on the rail and the lower..... definitely cant be swung around to the rear...

I suppose I could cut and reassemble a BFG to be shorter but it's just a strange dynamic having the front and rear sling attachment points be just a few inches apart...

View Quote
Give it a try.  Attach the sling to the rear of the receiver and out on the rail wherever is comfortable, then adjust the tail length of the sling so you can quick adjust between having it tighten up to be snug on the body or loose enough to manipulate.  Cut off the excess tail if you can't tie it up somewhere.

I use a 2 point sling on an MP5 attached at the rear of the receiver and up on the back end of the foregrip just in front of the chamber area.  The two points are maybe 10 inches apart and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Haley D3 sling: 2-point when you need it...single-point when you need it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Man o man.
Do the great looking pis of all those HK hooks just get me going.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
Just gat a good 2 point. I can think of no advantages to a single point, beyond an excuse for the socket on your fancy endplate (not judging. I've bought a couple.) "Stand by. I have to fasten this shit to my belt before I move". Really?
View Quote

If you are doing work in a vehicle, single point slings do have an advantage, However, as Mr. Stowe explained, a good two point will serve you well.

I used to run single point slings and it was great while moving in vehicles, but outside of that, they sucked ass.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I have mine attached to a QD point farther rearwards than the handguard QD point and then at the very front of my stock.

Get a sling that allows more adjustability if your BFG is sewn in such a way that limits how tight you can get it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I have Specter Gear 3 point slings on my blasters.  

no nut cracking.  strong arm is through the sling.  let go and it basically falls into low ready position.

slide it around back and it stays muzzle down, mine stay behind my iwb pistol holster which is at 3 oclock.

I did a little research and immediately found references to nutcrackers with single point.  not being interested in having my nuts cracked, I wasn't interested in single point slings.  

most likely use of my rifles will be out with my dogs and need to stop Wile E Coyote from causing a problem.  not in a vehicle, not clearing buildings where shoulder transitions will be needed, and not prone or standing with a cinched tight sling supported firing position is needed.  under 100 yards, and has to be fast on target, and I need both hands free the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:05:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CATM] [#12]
I've been hit in the balls enough times due to transition drills and mout training while using a single point that I refuse to use them now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:44:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#13]
I always thought single point slings made the most sense when they're offset to your side. Most of the slings go around your neck but really I think they should go around your neck and under your arm like a 2 point sling so that when you drop it, it simply rolls to your side and when you grab it again, it's right into your shoulder.

My first exposure to single point sling was back in early 2000s when I saw someone using web slings to tie it around their vest to make a single point sling. You use a carbineer, tie some web around it, hook it to your rifle but keep it off center to your strong side. I only found a few professionally made items that achieved this. For example, there's something called the Chalker Sling that comes with a molle attachment where you can put it on your vest in any position. In photos, they show it directly center but really you can offset it a little. Other slings would be like the Blackhawk STRIKE sling, but I never used that but it looks very promising. I remember the CQD slings that you can get from blackhawk would have this bungie that you can convert from single to two point using these hooks on the CQD plates. If you did it under your arm and over the neck, you can easily offset it.

For me today, I use the Chalker one for when I wear a vest, but by itself, I use the vtac with the convertible on it. What I do is tighten it up such that there's a bit of flap that sticks out that can attach to the rifle. This lets the rifle drop over my right side leg but the slack can easily be shouldered again while the sling is tightly strapped around my body.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I run all my BFG slings connected at rear of the receiver and rear of rail. I don't see the issue.

...and it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#15]
The only way a single point sling works is if it is convertible to a 2 point sling. There are very few places single point makes sense - stay in 2 point configuration for everything else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Problem with dangling strong side is you are now banging the rifle into your sidearm or covering it with the rifle. What if you need to go hands on with someone and you now have a rifle flopping around on you? If the dangle is long enough you can flip it over your shoulder and on to your back, but how well does it stay there? At least with 2 point, you can spin it like an 80s guitar rocker to your back and quick sinch it down to stay back there.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
Problem with dangling strong side is you are now banging the rifle into your sidearm or covering it with the rifle. What if you need to go hands on with someone and you now have a rifle flopping around on you? If the dangle is long enough you can flip it over your shoulder and on to your back, but how well does it stay there? At least with 2 point, you can spin it like an 80s guitar rocker to your back and quick sinch it down to stay back there.
View Quote

Yes, you'll have to rearrange things to accommodate a offset style one point sling. The best "real world" example I seen of a improvised singlepoint offset sling would be from the Lone Survivor team. You can see he offsets his rifle on a carabiner that is tied to the vest. His pistol is in the center. But it given it is offset, he can walk around and move his hands around freely and be able to climb or go down a fast rope. Also he can tethered the rifle to his right side easily if he wanted to.

Link Posted: Yesterday 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Vague:
Seems like excessive body movements when he should already be on the move. I don't see the advantage of a single point sling.
View Quote
They are better than nothing, but not by much.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top