Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I may have found something. I ordered it will report back it it fits

https://midwestindustriesinc.com/mi-ar-15-m16-m-series-two-piece-drop-in-handguard-m-lok-compatible/
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:25:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nsxxtreme] [#2]
So it seems to fit and matches the rifle fairly well. Havent shot it yet but looks like there is enough clearance. Material feels lighter then the OEM handguard. Its got a LOT more openings. I'm wondering how hot your hand will feel after shooting a bunch of rounds through it.

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nsxxtreme] [#3]
duplicate post appologies
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lwrcdriver] [#4]
Someone posted earlier on that if you've got an SLR Ion/Helix series handguard, you'll need to modify the barrel nut to use a SA piston kit with it?  I'm not sure I understand that, what gets in the way?

I'm researching for a future build.  It's looking like to use an SLR Ion or Helix handguard without relieving some clearance at the bottom I would have to stick with a solid/set screw type, SA's diagram compared to SLR's appears to be just shy (there is .60 clearance from center downwards inside the handguard versus .613" below centerline needed) to be able to use the clamp-on type for a .750" gas journal.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
eh, well maybe modifying the barrel nut isn't necessary after all, saw couple more recent posts a page or two back.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 3:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lwrcdriver:
eh, well maybe modifying the barrel nut isn't necessary after all, saw couple more recent posts a page or two back.
View Quote

I dont believe it's necessary. There is also a chance both are right and slr had a small rolling update to the barrel nut somewhere along the lifespan of the product
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Great thread-
but not seeing anyone w/ the older (2008ish) LWRC piston guns. I currently have an old Rainier arms HG in keymod thats too long for my suppressor. Anyone run LWRC stuff?
I've got a longer hub adapter inbound, but I think even w/ that, it might not work. Plus, it would be great to get this last rifle over to MLOK.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jdub1975:
Great thread-
but not seeing anyone w/ the older (2008ish) LWRC piston guns. I currently have an old Rainier arms HG in keymod thats too long for my suppressor. Anyone run LWRC stuff?
I've got a longer hub adapter inbound, but I think even w/ that, it might not work. Plus, it would be great to get this last rifle over to MLOK.
View Quote

I believe lwrc uses proprietary upper/handguard fitment
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:37:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nico560] [#9]
Firstly, thank you this thread.  It's been great reading all the work that others have done or tried.  Knowing what doesn't work is sometimes more important than learning what does. lol

I just finished a 14.5 barrel with .750 GB, AA micro piston mid-length kit and Mid West Industries G4.

The barrel nut mod previously posted was a HUGE time saver and worked like a champ.  I did however need to file a decent amount of material from around the GB as there was contact there causing harmonics and very poor accuracy degradation from the DI system I had on it prior. Found a SOLGW EXO3 on a Black Friday sale and will see if it works on this setup.

Next up is a SA kit going on a 16 barrel with a .750 GB and a Mid West Industries Combat Rail.  My expectation is it should be a direct fit from what I've read previously.

Last project after the above is converting my 10.5 .300 blackout. It has a very pricey Faxon carbon fiber hand guard with the suppressor tucked under so clearance is not the issue, barrel nut modification is. I'm hoping that with what I learn from the above 2 projects I'll have a good idea on how to attack it.

Lastly, I haven't seen anyone mention accuracy. So let me say that once I figured out the contact/harmonics issue I was able to achieve the exact same accuracy as with a DI sysem (MOA with Frontier, sub MOA with Black Hills).  Don't let anyone tell you piston systems are less accurate.

Thanks

****Edit****. EXO3 Hand-guard will not work. It’s has an alignment pin running the length of the hand guard under the rail area.  I was able to get a Rainier Combat rail that will work, but took a lot of filing and had to cut notches into the barrel where the dimples were on the gas block to give a small amount of rotation to help center the gas block.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry in advance if it's been asked but haven't had time to read entire thread..

Is Hodge slock compatible with sa kit?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mr4848675:
Sorry in advance if it's been asked but haven't had time to read entire thread..

Is Hodge slock compatible with sa kit?
View Quote

With a Dremel, yes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Joking aside you need a bit of additional height for the s-lock. Which is on the books so I can break the whole internet
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 8:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr4848675] [#13]
Gotcha. I appreciate it. There's a ton of material inside these so I figured it'd need some removal. I could make it happen but not sure I'm willing to do any "massaging" on an slock.  Look forward to hearing how your fitment process plays out. Any idea when you might get it done?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not like it'll reduce the functionality of it or anything. It's going to be some time before I get around to that project
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Made an account here because this is, by far, the most comprehensive, developing and stable source of information on piston conversion kit compatibility with handguards.  Thank you for all of this.

ADAMS ARMS vs SUPERLATIVE ARMS
First real question is about reliability and testimonies related to Adams Arms vs Superlative Arms piston kits.  Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with one or the other that they are willing to share; preferences, criticisms, advantages?  I've looked into what I can from videos and articles, but I'll never turn down more input, so thank you for that if you bother to type out a reply.  I'm personally leaning toward SA at the moment, but feel free to convince me otherwise if you feel committed to that.

HANDGUARD COMPATIBILITY
When it comes to handguards, I've been looking at a few options which I don't see covered extensively or at all in this thread:
- Centurion C4 M-LOK handguards (they are two-piece assemblies which clamp over top of a standard USGI barrel nut):  Centurion C4 12" two-piece handguard
- Midwest Industries two-piece system which floats on a standard barrel nut as well (this one also only comes in a form with a cut-out that opens up over where the gas block is located):  MI two-piece handguard
- Centurion C4 options also feature cut-out ones with the space where the gas block is (intended for standard USGI FSBs, but I guess it could work for things like the SA piston gas block at the very least)

Does anyone have any documentation or opinions on these handguard options?  I appreciate any replies that do come, so thanks a lot in advance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
It's not like it'll reduce the functionality of it or anything. It's going to be some time before I get around to that project
View Quote

I wasn't referring to any functionality issues. Just not a rail I wanna grind/mill/drill etc on. I'll probably spec out a another rifle with a urx4 w/LMT receivers for this first piston setup instead of grinding on the slock. Urx4 shouldn't have any clearance issues. Relatively large id and no gas tube area obstructions. I've gotta couple without any future plans so I'll look into it eventually. Still look forward to reading your experience and observing the results.

Anyone have info on gen 3 NSR/NHR with SA piston kit?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top