BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2024 5:34:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin]
Greetings all!

Does anyone know if anyone has ever released something similar to this old classic?  Every time someone sees me use mine, they immediately want one, but alas, it was discontinued long ago.

It’s just such an incredibly useful tool, though, that I can’t believe no one else has ever come out with something similar.  The KNS guys at the SHOT Show always tell me there is no possibility that they’ll re-release it, assuming they've even been around long enough to remember it; so the only way to get one nowadays would be if someone else made a tool like it.

I don’t even let people borrow mine unless I’m actually there watching them... I’m worried it might accidentally go home with someone else... :-D

Here's an old video that shows what it does for those not familiar with it.  Sure, you can install a hammer without it, but damn does this make it so much easier...  

The KNS Precision Hammer Cage and Trigger and Hammer Guide Pins

https://smallarmsreview.com/kns-precision-ar-15-hammer-cage/
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you could make a paper template and reverse engineer it real easy. You could sell them since KNS won’t. Little home business. I don’t want one but I bet a lot of builders on here would buy them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Coming soon.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?243344-For-the-tool-nerds
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OTDR:

Coming soon.

View Quote

They will want over $100 for one? lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Akin:  Greetings all!

Does anyone know if anyone has ever released something similar to this old classic?  Every time someone sees me use mine, they immediately want one, but alas, it was discontinued long ago.

It’s just such an incredibly useful tool, though, that I can’t believe no one else has ever come out with something similar.  The KNS guys at the SHOT Show always tell me there is no possibility that they’ll re-release it, assuming they've even been around long enough to remember it; so the only way to get one nowadays would be if someone else made a tool like it.

I don’t even let people borrow mine unless I’m actually there watching them... I’m worried it might accidentally go home with someone else... :-D

Here's an old video that shows what it does for those not familiar with it.  Sure, you can install a hammer without it, but damn does this make it so much easier...  

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
Looks like you could make a paper template and reverse engineer it real easy. You could sell them since KNS won’t. Little home business. I don’t want one but I bet a lot of builders on here would buy them.
View Quote

Alas, I don’t have clue one as to how to go about making something and selling it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FdP4TLBns4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

?

That’s the same video I linked to in my post?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Coming soon.

View Quote

Well, even though I’ve built dozens of ARs for friends and people at work who wanted custom patrol rifles, I’m not sure if I’d need a hundred dollar tool.

Interesting that I’m not the only one thinking about this kind of thing, though…
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like you might be able to 3d print one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
View Quote

That was kind of my thought, if someone who knew how to 3D print things took an interest.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
View Quote

That was kind of my thought, if someone who knew how to 3D print things took an interest.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jnat] [#11]
I’ve never understood the difficulty some have installing triggers/hammers

Edit
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Coming soon.

View Quote

Looks like a nice tool tho
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jnat:
I’ve never understood the difficulty some have installing triggers.
View Quote

? No one I know has trouble with triggers.

Hammers can be a pain sometimes, though, especially if you’re doing multiple builds at a time… hence the usefulness of tools like this…
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Akin:

?

View All Quotes

?

I hope so.  That's why I embedded it for you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#15]
KNS Hammer Cage (discontinued and now rare!)
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Ned Christiansen at MichiGuns is getting ready to release his Superior Hammer Install Tool which is the same thing. Ned's stuff is pricey but 100% USA Made and will last a lifetime. I've got his MOAKS staking tool, gas tube bender, 556 Gage and a few of his OACKS screws. This dude is at the top for quality & function.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grimjaw5] [#17]
I had never heard of these until I saw a thread on here about them in Nov 21.  I found one in stock and ordered it.  It is a darn handy tool.  While it is not required, it does make things easier.  

Not much different that having a 1/4" clevis pin in your tools.  Not required, just darn handy.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Cunningham1420:
Ned Christiansen at MichiGuns is getting ready to release his Superior Hammer Install Tool which is the same thing. Ned's stuff is pricey but 100% USA Made and will last a lifetime. I've got his MOAKS staking tool, gas tube bender, 556 Gage and a few of his OACKS screws. This dude is at the top for quality & function.
View Quote

Ned said about another month and $100.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It looks like a neat little tool, one of those that you could do without but would be nice to have.

Honestly tho, even on a bad day it might take me all of 30 seconds to pin a hammer assembly so I put this in the same circular file as the buffer tube thingy
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
It looks like a neat little tool, one of those that you could do without but would be nice to have.

Honestly tho, even on a bad day it might take me all of 30 seconds to pin a hammer assembly so I put this in the same circular file as the buffer tube thingy
View Quote

Until one does 15-25 guns all in succession.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:16:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#21]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote

I have to believe it would be the reverse where about 15 times in a row of using that thing it would be thrown in a box and one would go back to the quickest and because of less steps easiest way. I could see the use if one had some type physical need reason to use it.

Every time I watch a video of a trigger group being installed with someone installing a pin to help install a pin I wonder why they like doing something twice.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

IDK, I think as much, or more, time would be spent wrapping the hammer assy in that "cage" than it would take to just push the hammer assy down with the thumb and sliding in the pin.  But, then I don't assembly 15-25 guns in a day
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By j3_:

I have to believe it would be the reverse where about 15 times in a row of using that thing it would be thrown in a box and one would go back to the quickest and because of less steps easiest way. I could see the use if one had some type physical need reason to use it.

Every time I watch a video of a trigger group being installed with someone installing a pin to help install a pin I wonder why they like doing something twice.
View Quote

Originally Posted By s4s4u:

IDK, I think as much, or more, time would be spent wrapping the hammer assy in that "cage" than it would take to just push the hammer assy down with the thumb and sliding in the pin.  But, then I don't assembly 15-25 guns in a day
View Quote

Not something that I'd use personally. But I've had times where a thumb cramp made things less than enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Not something that I'd use personally. But I've had times where a thumb cramp made things less than enjoyable.
View Quote

I hate when that happens  
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#25]
This new tool is neat but waaaaay overpriced.  He’s trying to retire off the proceeds in a short time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#26]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
This new tool is neat but waaaaay overpriced.  He’s trying to retire off the proceeds in a short time.
View Quote

Agreed.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't really have much of a problem getting the hammer in.  Getting the damn disconnector in right is a pain.  When I get stuck I hand the lower to FW_wife & she just slides it in.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't really have much of a problem getting the hammer in.  Getting the damn disconnector in right is a pain.  When I get stuck I hand the lower to FW_wife & she just slides it in.  
View Quote

Every once in awhile I get one where the fucking hammer fights me to the end. Maybe 1 out of 5-6.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin] [#29]
View Quote

This won’t help if you don’t have them, but I think it was Giessele that included little trigger and hammer pins with their… err… triggers and hammers.

They’re the correct diameter and they are short enough that they don’t stick out at all. So, it holds the trigger and disconnector together but it doesn’t protrude and interfere with dropping the trigger in the receiver.

You drop it in, then you push out the short pin with the real trigger pin. Ridiculously easy.

I saved the ones I’ve come across and I use them every time I build up a lower for buddies from work or whatever.

I also use this on the hammer… sometimes it’s a pain in the ass getting a pin in past that damn j-spring, and that pointed pin makes it effortless. And the little red pusher thing saves your thumb… :-D
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#30]

This won’t help if you don’t have them, but I think it was Giessele that included little trigger and hammer pins with their… err… triggers and hammers.

They’re the correct diameter and they are short enough that they don’t stick out at all. So, it holds the trigger and disconnector together but it doesn’t protrude and interfere with dropping the trigger in the receiver.

You drop it in, then you push out the short pin with the real trigger pin. Ridiculously easy.

I saved the ones I’ve come across and I use them every time I build up a lower for buddies from work or whatever.

I also use this on the hammer… sometimes it’s a pain in the ass getting a pin in past that damn j-spring, and that pointed pin makes it effortless. And the little red pusher thing saves your thumb… :-D
View All Quotes

Ooooooh.  I could chop a pin w/ ze Dremel.  I have a couple of long pins in the toolbox that solve the problem, but of course I fergit about em and grab a tack hammer instead.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin] [#31]
I tapped a few in with a brass hammer a couple of times until I used my first Geissele and found those nice little pins.  

Ever since then, it’s little pin in the trigger and no worries at all.

And KNS pointy long pin with thumb protector for the hammer, even with the KNS Cage

EDIT TO ADD: Here ya go https://shop.roninsgrips.com/product/ar-trigger-slave-pin-makes-installation-a-breeze/
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I just saw a video of Ned's new tool, it looks pretty slick but not something I need.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I can't remember if it was the Schmid trigger from Armorally or the SOLGW version, but one of them came with a slave pin like that. SUPER helpful.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I just use a pin punch as a slave pin.

I have the Geissele trigger fitting pin, somewhere, never used it
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I received an email from Ned last night, the price for his tool is now $120.00.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I received an email from Ned last night, the price for his tool is now $120.00.

View Quote

You going to get one?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

You going to get one?
View Quote

Yeah, I love cool tools. I'm 65 years old, retired, enjoying the fruits of my past labor. Sent him the payment last night.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:40:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SLR15] [#38]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SLR15:
I've personally been teaching Armorers and Gunsmiths for decades.  Occasionally I see people struggle with getting the hammer inserted into the receiver, and attribute this to having to compress the hammer spring while aligning the hammer to get it pinned into the receiver.  Half the battle to working on guns, is figuring out how to hold things, so what works for me may not work for another person.  Sometimes the struggle can be attributed to finger strength, as the hammer spring can have quite a bit of tension to it upon installation of the hammer as you compress it into the receeiver.

The KNS Hammer Cage is a nice tool.  Too bad they don't make them anymore.  I have thought of looking at making them, but haven't researched it to see if they have some type of patent on it or not.  

Years ago after watching people struggle occasionally in Armorer courses, I made a simple tool which we call the Sully Hammer Handle.  I designed this based off of what us older people call a Church Key (You younger people may call it a bottle opener).  The tool has two ends where we have machined out a channel on each end.  One end is for single stage hammers in both semi-auto and auto.  The other end is for working with 2-stage hammers, which we have used plenty of hammers from Geisselle, Larue MBT, Scmhid, and Rockriver.  It allows you to use the handle as a lever to get the hammer spring compressed, while aligning the hammer so it can be pinned into place.  I

https://cdn4.volusion.store/ytvfv-wvjwt/v/vspfiles/photos/SullyHammerHandle-2T.pnghttps://cdn4.volusion.store/ytvfv-wvjwt/v/vspfiles/photos/SullyHammerHandle-3T.png
https://cdn4.volusion.store/ytvfv-wvjwt/v/vspfiles/photos/SullyHammerHandle-4T.pnghttps://cdn4.volusion.store/ytvfv-wvjwt/v/vspfiles/photos/SullyHammerHandle-5T.png

I look forward to the Michiguns version of their tool as well, as Ned is a great designer and thinker.  It is something we will show in our Armorer courses, as we like to put as many tools as we can in peoples hands so they can make an educated decision of what's available and how to use it.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
DefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

Never met you but how you always conduct yourself in public as a true Professional is refreshing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I have one and forget to use it most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Yeah, I love cool tools. I'm 65 years old, retired, enjoying the fruits of my past labor. Sent him the payment last night.  
View All Quotes

You going to get one?

Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#42]

Nothing wrong with that.
View Quote

I have something coming Friday I am real excited about. It will be the center piece of my AR tool collection if the Post Office don't lose it and as far as I can tell from Google searching there is no pictures of it on the internet. Wasn't cheap.

Just 3 more days, requires signature so I will be sitting in a chair at my mailbox starting at 9AM lol.

Dont want to say what it is till its actually in my hands.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#43]

I have something coming Friday I am real excited about. It will be the center piece of my AR tool collection if the Post Office don't lose it and as far as I can tell from Google searching there is no pictures of it on the internet. Wasn't cheap.

Just 3 more days, requires signature so I will be sitting in a chair at my mailbox starting at 9AM lol.

Dont want to say what it is till its actually in my hands.
View Quote

It is not another gauge to measure an extractor groove is it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By j3_:

It is not another gauge to measure an extractor groove is it?
View Quote

NO lol!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Speaking of old KNS Precision Hammer Cages, if anyone should suddenly hear about one becoming available, I’d appreciate a heads up.

Mine was stolen, along with more than five thousand dollars worth of gunsmithing tools and parts, including a pistol, three stripped lowers and a bunch of other stuff. The methhead who took everything will probably sell my entire collection of tools for fifty bucks at the swap meet, but who knows, maybe someone will recognize some of them and they’ll pop up somewhere…
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

No fair. And teasing about AR tools shouldn't be allowed.
View Quote

Sent you a PM.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top