Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2024 7:03:06 PM EDT
Recently purchased a PSA 16" upper. Received it today and found that the barrel is marked "5.56 NATO 1/7 FREEDOM"  Their web-site ad for this upper didn't/doesn't mention that the barrel is a FREEDOM barrel. I'm somewhat concerned and would like some thoughts about these barrels. The gun will be used mostly for range shooting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:19:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#2]
The gun will be used mostly for range shooting.
View Quote

With what optic?  Unless you are wanting to shoot 2" clusters @ 300 yards I think you will be fine, and it might even do that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't bought a PSA barrel in a few years.  The one I had was excellent as far as accuracy/consistency (16inch).  No longer own it.  The 10.5 I own is good.  Haven't had any issues with my two (very low round counts).
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Just fine for range work and 99% of civilian purposes. Their biggest shortcoming is simply barrel life as compared to other manufacturers. Shoot it until the groups open up and then replace it with something better. If you run your guns, bolts and barrels are consumables regardless of who made them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
People will say the barrel life isn't as good as premium barrels - You can buy two PSA freedom uppers for less than premium barrel - get more life out of those as well.

I have good Hammer forged barrels and premium names but generally my PSA cheap guns get lots of trigger time and shoot as good as the "better names.  Longevity wise only time will tell but like I said I can buy two for the price of one premium - in fact I often do!

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]

As with any barrel, if you don't heat it up too much with rapid fire, it will generally last longer.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:21:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doom1430] [#7]
If I'm not mistaken, GarandThumb did a torture test involving a Freedom barreled PSA upper and a full auto lower.  6000 round through it before it started losing accuracy.

Video
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:00:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doom1430:
If I'm not mistaken, GarandThumb did a torture test involving a Freedom barreled PSA upper and a full auto lower.  6000 round through it before it started losing accuracy.

Video
View Quote
Considering what they did to that barrel, and what the accuracy opened up to at that round count (it wasn't keyholing, just about a 4-5 moa gun), it's pretty impressive.

Having said that, I got a blem premium upper from them with a FN CHF 16" middy barrel for $320 a couple months ago. So for just a little more you can get a much nicer barrel.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By doom1430:

Video
View Quote
I love Bexar Arms. I sent a question through the website and (Asian) Phil called me personally on the phone to answer it. That won't happen very often. Super knowledgeable too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
What are you "somewhat concerned" about, OP?  These are good barrels for the money.  They're just good barrels.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Copter:
Recently purchased a PSA 16" upper. Received it today and found that the barrel is marked "5.56 NATO 1/7 FREEDOM"  Their web-site ad for this upper didn't/doesn't mention that the barrel is a FREEDOM barrel. I'm somewhat concerned and would like some thoughts about these barrels. The gun will be used mostly for range shooting.
View Quote

Buy your next barrel and a new bolt now, holding them in reserve for the day your current barrel gives up the ghost. Then ride your Freedom barrel like a mail order Russian bride.

Cheap barrels don't deserve respect or babying. I use chrome lined barrels for CQC type shooting, high volume and fast. Cheap bullets belong in cheap barrels. I reserve accuracy shooting to premium bullets in premium barrels.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:.

Cheap barrels don't deserve respect or babying. I use chrome lined barrels for CQC type shooting, high volume and fast. Cheap bullets belong in cheap barrels.
View Quote
WOA Wilsons?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:53:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Good guns for just plinking around. Pretty sure most of us have better guns for serious business.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#15]
With the price of ammunition these days I am pretty sure I won’t be shooting out any barrels soon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve had a few freedom uppers and kit guns I built and all but one was fine. I had one of PSA’s cheap 16” uppers with a FF rail. I think it is a Freedom. Anyways, first trip out and it was key holing every single round at 50yds. I shit you not, every major brand of 55 and 62gr I brought with me. I’ve never seen anything like it. It was a PITA to get it sent back to them but they eventually confirmed everything and put a new barrel on for me and made it right. Luckily I didn’t have my suppressor on it as it was just going to be a loaner, tractor, truck, trunk gun with no intentions of using suppressed. I still need to shoot new bbl and re-zero and I still will buy their cheap stuff but ain’t going to count on any of it for serious stuff unless I absolutely had to.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]
PSA has been consistently one if the worst barrels for accuracy I have seen. The fact the barrel in the garand thumb video started out so good was shocking to me. Truly, that was a rare gem they burned up. I have never seen a PSA barrel even shoot sub 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#18]
If it's got 'nitride' in the name, it's decent.  PSA comes in a few tiers; Phosphate Nitride and Premium.  Not that one is necessarily better than the others, but anything nitride will run and take some hard use.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By battlemidget:
If it's got 'nitride' in the name, it's decent.  PSA comes in a few tiers; Phosphate Nitride and Premium.  Not that one is necessarily better than the others, but anything nitride will run and take some hard use.
View Quote

My 5.56 precision AR has a PSA nitride barrel.

The best I got was .52" ten round groups. .6-.65" ten round groups with 77 gr. Sierra Tipped Match King reloads is typical, mostly because I'm not the most patient shooter these days. I wouldn't go out an buy a PSA barrel specifically, but it's nice to know they're good stuff. All my PSA barrels have shot MOA or better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top