Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2024 10:42:32 PM EDT
Tonight I was attempting to fit a barrel into an upper with a really tight fit.  The manufacturer even sent a note with the upper, advising to apply heat to help the barrel fit.  It helped a bit, but I could get the barrel in all but a 1/8" by using a wood block to tap the barrel in.  I cannot get the barrel on any further, so I'm planning on removing the barrel then trying again after removing some material from inside the receiver.  I greased up the barrel before inserting it so it's not bare metal on metal.

What is a good way to remove a barrel that's really stuck?  I'm going to buy a 1" dowel tomorrow and try to tap it out.  Any other advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:47:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#1]
I have a plastic round I use now. In the past I have used an inverted socket sized to fit in the upper on a long extension or two.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By j3_:
I have a plastic round I use now. In the past I have used an inverted socket sized to fit in the upper on a long extension or two.
View Quote

Success!  I found a deep well socket that mic'd close to 1" diameter, and an extension long enough to stick out of the receiver.  I placed the receiver block in the vise with the barrel pointing down, then tapped on the extension until the barrel was free.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn’t it be better to remove material from the outside of the barrel extension as that’s the replacement part as opposed to the receiver which is the permanent part?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Princeton:
Wouldn’t it be better to remove material from the outside of the barrel extension as that’s the replacement part as opposed to the receiver which is the permanent part?
View Quote

I subscribe to the idea of altering the cheaper part over a more expensive part.  I got the BCM upper for $50 and the BA barrel for $130.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Do not remove material!

1. Put the barrel in the freezer for an hour.
2. Heat up the bare receiver with a heat gun until you need gloves to hold it.
3. Fast as you can, grab them both and slip the barrel in with one quick motion

Piece of cake.

To keep from marring your barrel extension with a hardened socket use a short stick of 1/2” sch40 PVC and a mallet to remove tight barrels.

I do this all the time (insertions and removals of very tight barrels). Tight is good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you apply Shell Aero 33 to the outside of the extension to help it slide in?  Or did you try to go in dry?

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#7]
A section of Delrin round is good kit to have on hand for next time.

Heat the "nose" of the receiver prior to assembly, the barrel extension will slide in. A handheld torch or heat gun is all it takes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you apply Shell Aero 33 to the outside of the extension to help it slide in?  Or did you try to go in dry?
View Quote

Yes.  I used anti-seize compound.  The fit is so tight going bare metal on metal would be impossible.

Heat the "nose" of the receiver prior to assembly, the barrel extension will slide in. A handheld torch or heat gun is all it takes.
View Quote

I heated the "nose" of the receiver per the note that came with the receiver.  As mentioned, I got the barrel inserted to the point before the index pin would mate, then it wouldn't go any further.  I have not tried freezing the barrel before inserting it yet.

I understand with this upper a tight fit is expected and heat is recommended.  The issue is it's tight AF and with no amount of heat would've made it slip in.  My goal is to remove just enough material it will slip on while heated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:30:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#9]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

Yes.  I used anti-seize compound.  The fit is so tight going bare metal on metal would be impossible.

I heated the "nose" of the receiver per the note that came with the receiver.  As mentioned, I got the barrel inserted to the point before the index pin would mate, then it wouldn't go any further.  I have not tried freezing the barrel before inserting it yet.

I understand with this upper a tight fit is expected and heat is recommended.  The issue is it's tight AF and with no amount of heat would've made it slip in.  My goal is to remove just enough material it will slip on while heated.
View Quote

Sounds like the receiver wasn't hot enough.

I wouldn't remove material at the extension personally.

EDIT:  I misread, you mentioned material removal at receiver not extension. My bad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Moondog:

This.

I’ve shimmed quite a few extensions with SS shim stock and gotten things very tight.  

My method is usually to install one of those rubber muzzle/thread protectors on the muzzle end of the barrel and place it muzzle down on a block of wood.  Then I’ll use another block of wood on the rear of the receiver and lightly tap the rear of the receiver until they’re mated.  Make sure the index pin and index pin slot are aligned before doing this or you’re going to have to hammer everything back apart.

Conversely, I’ve also used the barrel nut to draw both together if they’re fairly close.  Once again, ensure the pin/notch are lined up or you’re going to damage something.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Small toaster oven for the receiver and throw the barrel in the freezer for a couple hours. It will slide together perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

The idea of removing material when you have a thermofit upper is a bad idea. If you don’t have a heat gun, you likely don’t have the tools to remove any material evenly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]
More success!  After a little bit of polishing with emery paper, I heated up the upper and the barrel slid in!  The was a little resistance, but a tap with the rubber mallet resolved that.

I didn't have to remove much - a couple passes until the anodizing was smooth where the barrel contacted the receiver.

An interesting note is I discovered my Magpul BEV block is very heat resistant.  I heated the nose of the receiver until it was too hot to touch, and the BEV block held up.  I figured the retaining pin would've melted.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
next time put the barrel in the freezer for 2 days AND heat the receiver. done.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#15]
The receiver is aluminum.

It will expand faster than steel.

Just heat it more. Some of the responses in this thread are literally making my head spin. Removing material is NOT needed. A little more heat is.  

Last build I did was a reduced I.D. upper (solgw) and an oversized barrel extension.  Heat was all that took, and that one wouldn’t go in at all without it.  The reason it gets stuck the further you go in is because there’s more material there (top rail, bottom lug). Just need to add a touch more heat.

Great shooting upper.  No need to freeze anything, just hit the upper with a torch and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
@Moondog. Was your upper a $50 blem? Mine was also tight and I ended up running a hone inside.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#17]

next time put the barrel in the freezer for 2 days AND heat the receiver. done.
View Quote

I wish people would stop posting this nonsense, its been debunked many times. My testing confirms, freezing the barrel extension does nothing . Just heat the upper.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
When I use to work in a machine shop. When we did tolerance we would do the cold part in dry ice. Hot part in oven. This would get 2 pieces that weren’t even close to fitting. To slide in easy. Just be quick.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#19]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

I wish people would stop posting this nonsense, its been debunked many times. My testing confirms, freezing the barrel extension does nothing . Just heat the upper.

https://i.imgur.com/jw9tCw9.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/gTZgxu9.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/MymSERJ.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/BTwm7Vb.jpeg
View Quote

Originally Posted By ajclune:
When I use to work in a machine shop. When we did tolerance we would do the cold part in dry ice. Hot part in oven. This would get 2 pieces that weren’t even close to fitting. To slide in easy. Just be quick.
View Quote

Home freezers at 0- minus 10ish degrees never did shit for contracting steel dimensions IME.

Dry ice on the other hand has been useful in several instances.

Edited.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Home freezers at 0-10ish degrees never did shit for contracting steel dimensions IME.

View Quote

Exactly, it does nothing yet people keep posting it does.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DrRemulak:
@Moondog. Was your upper a $50 blem? Mine was also tight and I ended up running a hone inside.
View Quote
Did you ignore the instructions that came with the upper?

Heat the receiver. That's all you need to do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Home freezers at 0-10ish degrees never did shit for contracting steel dimensions IME.

Edited my post for clarity.

But yeah, heating the receiver to proper temp is all that is needed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DrRemulak:
View Quote

Yes, it was one of the $50 BCM blems
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Home freezers at 0- minus 10ish degrees never did shit for contracting steel dimensions IME.

Edited.
View Quote

10-4.  I have used liquid nitrogen multiple times to contract bushings for heavy equipment.  Let them boil in a styrofoam cooler for 5 minutes and they slide right in by hand.  But yes,  as mentioned above,  a home freezer does nothing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#25]

https://i.imgur.com/jw9tCw9.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/gTZgxu9.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/MymSERJ.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/BTwm7Vb.jpeg
View Quote

damn. learned something new.  ive always just done this and had no issues so I always thought it worked.

thanks!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top