Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2023 2:01:46 PM EDT
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am unsure what to do with this. I am overseas a lot and only home in the US for short periods of time. Last time, after I shot my AR the barrel startet rotating within the barrel extension. I contacted the manufacturer, sent the upper in and they confirmed this. They "realigned the barrel extension and torqued to correct specifications" (their own words) and sent it back.

Right now, the upper is back at the house and I will be back home over Christmas to also certainly do some shooting. I have read everywhere that a barrel from which the extension has come loose is no good and not really safe and that the barrel extension can't really be put back with a safe "good-as-new" end result. I can't really do or have any work done (like switching the barrel for a new one) on the upper while I am still in this job situation. I can't take it with me overseas and I can't get much done when only home for weeks at a time a couple times a year. So, I am stuck with the following options when it comes to shooting it during my next stay:

A: The manufacturer took care of it so it will be good-to-go and safe to shoot. Shoot it and have fun. Nothing will blow up in my face.

B: Re-torqued barrel extensions are a risk, but probably fine if done by the manufacturer. Buy a set of go/no-go gauges and check headspace, tightness of the barrel regularly when and after shooting. Nothing will blow up in my face.

C: This barrel with it's history is unsafe to shoot. Play with the other guns during my next visit. Buy a new barrel and swap it out when back home permanently.

What would you do? Why do you think so? Professional input much appreciated! Thanks in advance and,

Best,
Snek
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have insisted on a replacement barrel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 2:32:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snek] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By badguybuster:
I would have insisted on a replacement barrel.
View Quote

So, option "C" plus next time make sure I insist on a new barrel?
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Barrels are consumables. Just replace it with a new barrel from a reputable manufacturer and move on. A bev block, barrel wrench, and torque wrench are all you need. Don’t forget to grease the receiver threads.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:33:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ronemus] [#4]
If the barrel allowed the sights to zero, they'll be pointing in a different direction now; higher torque turns the barrel further, and the front sight will be further left thus moving the POI to the right.  If you've used up a lot of windage to zero the rifle, send it back for a replacement.

The rifle will not be unsafe, but it may be badly off true.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Couple of questions…
1) who was the mfg? If it’s a reputable company that does barrels in house then they may have tried a few extensions to get proper timing or they may have used a late and shims to achieve proper alignment.

2) how’s the gas tube alignment look going along the barrel into the upper?…Is the gas block pinned in place or set screwed?

3) how’s the alignment of the feed ramps in the receiver extension to the upper look?

If all of those are good, shoot it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snek] [#6]
@Wangstang

Answers in red

1) who was the mfg? If it’s a reputable company that does barrels in house then they may have tried a few extensions to get proper timing or they may have used a late and shims to achieve proper alignment.

Alexander Arms. A Grendel gun. AFAIK they make their own barrels. So, in essence, this was the barrel manufacturer who took care of it. They are also not cheap.

2) how’s the gas tube alignment look going along the barrel into the upper?…Is the gas block pinned in place or set screwed?

As mentioned, I am overseas at the moment. Will have to check whan back home. Also, pinned or set screwed, which one will I have to look out for?

3) how’s the alignment of the feed ramps in the receiver extension to the upper look?

As mentioned, I am overseas at the moment. Will have to check whan back home.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]
While pretty uncommon, a barrel extension can be removed and replaced. It's definitely not a DIY project and it's suprising that it rotated off. It should have been torqued to 150LbFt and pinned. That said, replacing it or retorquing the original is doable, though, I would feel a little nervous about a situation where the guys that didn't get it right the first time redid the work.

That said, Alexander Arms has a decent reputation, however overpriced some people feel they are, so I reckon if I were going to trust that the work was done right, I would trust that they did it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Snek:
@Wangstang

Answers in red

Alexander Arms. A Grendel gun. AFAIK they make their own barrels. So, in essence, this was the barrel manufacturer who took care of it. They are also not cheap.

As mentioned, I am overseas at the moment. Will have to check whan back home. Also, pinned or set screwed, which one will I have to look out for?

View Quote

1) Given your answer, they could get it done properly. As the poster above noted, the fact that it slipped out without being right is a little concerning, but if you or someone else did work on the upper using a tool that engages the barrel extension, such as reaction rod type tool or even the Magpul BEV, then in theory you could have inadvertently loosened the assembly if you were twisting the barrel.

2) If the gas block is pinned, then there's basically no chance the block was rotated out of alignment with the gas port to give a visual appearance that things are properly aligned. If it's set screwed, they could cheat the gas block to one direction or another to make things look aligned but could partially of fully obstruct the gas port on the barrel by doing so which could cause cycling issues.

3) If things line up with number 2 and number 3, and given your answer to number one, I'd shoot it when you get back to the states and if everything cycles fine, I'd trust it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
[...] 3) If things line up with number 2 and number 3, and given your answer to number one, I'd shoot it when you get back to the states and if everything cycles fine, I'd trust it.
View Quote

You reckon it may be a good idea to get a set of go/no-go gauges and check headspace first before shooting it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]

You reckon it may be a good idea to get a set of go/no-go gauges and check headspace first before shooting it?
View Quote

Couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#12]
OP Update:

Hey all, just want to post an update. Got back home over Christmas and checked feed-ramp (and general) alignment of the barrel. Everything looked good. Checked head-space with go/no-go gauge. Everything checked out. Took the rifle out shooting.

It shoots at least as good as it did before. If not a bit better. Printed some sub 1.5 MOA 5-shot groups. Also took her out to the 500 yard rifle range. Performance as before. Also, no cycling issues.

Checked barrel tightness and headspace between each shooting session - no issues. I think Alexander Arms did me right. And I think there is a certain "gunsmith" in town where I wont take my firearms to again, but I had already known that before this.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Barrel extensions are torqued at 150 foot pounds, not easily done at home without a barrel vise.

The locating pin can break or fall out, which would allow the barrel to rotate in the upper. I'm assuming this didn't happen based on the manufacturer's communications.

I would shoot it, while paying attention after every outing to ensure its staying put.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#14]
@Wangstang

Answers in red

View Quote

The last I knew, Alexander Arms uses E.R. Shaw barrels.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top