Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 2:49:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gonzaar24]
I have a vortex razor hd gen ii e 1x6 bdc reticle lpvo that's on my 12.5 upper. I recently acquired a colt le6920 socom with an aimpoint comp m4s however someone wants to trade my razor for his like new Acog TA31F. If I do the trade I'll swap out the comp m4s with the acog and put it on an 11.5 upper or even the 12.5. My reasons for wanting the acog is for nostalgic reasons despite it having less than desirable eye relief compared to the razor. Would i be an idiot for doing the switch?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I just did the opposite.  But, I wanted both my 13.7s to have the same scope.

Your thought is valid....But I do like my Razor(s)
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
No I like the nice light compact Ta31F

Just get a Larue RCO mount or the new Trijicon Qloc cantilever mount for it.

Pure secondary market value wise it’s pretty similar  value if the ta31 is not 12 years old and salty as fuck.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
How are your eyes, do you need a diopter?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:54:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deadmau5er] [#4]
I think so.

The ACOG is like the 1911, it's a legendary, tough, proven optic but people overrate the hell out of it for the sake of nostalgia. I say that as someone who owns or has owned both.

Can it make sense on a barebones lightweight 6920 build? For sure.

Most modern optics are superior including other Trijicon optics. They'll be slightly heavier but you won't be stuck with a fixed magnification and horrible eye relief. If you have astigmatism they're generally even more difficult.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
You can grab a used TA31F for like $650. You can't for a Razor. The Razor is objectively better behind a clip-on as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I would not do that trade but if you want an ACOG save up and get one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
How are your eyes, do you need a diopter?
View Quote

Not the greatest and that's because I wear glasses
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup ACOG did not work with my uncorrected eyes. I would test one with your glasses and make sure it works for you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Monetarily I think it’s a bit off. Last time I checked the Razor cost more and required a mount for additional cost.

Logic wise, I prefer prisms with a red dot to LPVO’s but that’s entirely user preference.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]
TA31 is the pinnacle of AR optics. Fight me.

Nothing else is as light, durable, idiot-proof, or has anywhere near the same field of view. The short eye relief is of no concern if it’s going on a 5.56.

I’d sell the Razor in the EE and buy an ACOG in the EE. You’ll come out ahead. Make sure you get a TA31 that has the little delay-bobs on the eyepiece so you can mount an RMR on it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:14:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RobNC] [#11]
I just did this trade with the last of my Razors and Bulldawg_556. He’s now gotten 2 Razors and a Viper PST 2 from my repeated attempts to make a LPVO work for my needs.

Caveat; I had as much cash tied up in the optics as I got out of the trades.  Using Europtic pricing:  Razor 2E 1-6 is $1425 and an ACOG TA-31F is $1046.

Obviously there’s a $400 difference buying retail. Be smart.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a ta31 long ago for a clone gun.  When I started converting everything to stuff I actually shoot,  it was about the first thing to go.

Beautiful glass, field of view,  light weight, all ruined by unusable eye relief for me.

I still have a ta11 that is slightly better in that regard, but is still mounted way back, would likely be the first optic voted off my island, and sees little to no use currently.  If you've never looked through one, I'd do that before getting one.  Ymmv.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By deadmau5er:
I think so.

The ACOG is like the 1911, it's a legendary, tough, proven optic but people overrate the hell out of it for the sake of nostalgia. I say that as someone who owns or has owned both.

Can it make sense on a barebones lightweight 6920 build? For sure.

Most modern optics are superior including other Trijicon optics. They'll be slightly heavier but you won't be stuck with a fixed magnification and horrible eye relief. If you have astigmatism they're generally even more difficult.
View Quote

I sold I my Razors because of my astigmatism. It is one of the worst followed by Aimpoint for those suffering from astigmatism. AOCGs, Nightforce and EoTechs bother me the least if at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
I got a ta31 long ago for a clone gun.  When I started converting everything to stuff I actually shoot,  it was about the first thing to go.

Beautiful glass, field of view,  light weight, all ruined by unusable eye relief for me.

I still have a ta11 that is slightly better in that regard, but is still mounted way back, would likely be the first optic voted off my island, and sees little to no use currently.  If you've never looked through one, I'd do that before getting one.  Ymmv.
View Quote

This is the same thing I hear about the NX8 and it makes me wonder if you’ve ever spent time behind one shooting and I’m betting you haven’t. Your mind is made up from internet lore about bad eye relief. What people don’t do is move the scope around to find your sweet spot. I spent I don’t know how much on mounts looking for the perfect height, and the perfect placement on my rifle, once it’s found your set.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

This is the same thing I hear about the NX8 and it makes me wonder if you’ve ever spent time behind one shooting and I’m betting you haven’t. Your mind is made up from internet lore about bad eye relief. What people don’t do is move the scope around to find your sweet spot. I spent I don’t know how much on mounts looking for the perfect height, and the perfect placement on my rifle, once it’s found your set.
View Quote

Did you read the first part of my post?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SlimBlundt:

Nothing else is as light, durable, idiot-proof, or has anywhere near the same field of view. The short eye relief is of no concern if it’s going on a 5.56.

I’d sell the Razor in the EE and buy an ACOG in the EE. You’ll come out ahead. Make sure you get a TA31 that has the little delay-bobs on the eyepiece so you can mount an RMR on it.
View Quote

I agree with all this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SlimBlundt:

View Quote

This.  An ACOG with an offset T2 or piggyback RMR is THE best setup in existence for a fighting rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:11:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Did you misunderstand what I said? Think about what I posted, I gave a perfect example. It really is simple and if your missing what I’m saying you don’t understand setting up a scope properly for you. It sounds like your mind was made up from what others post and their lack knowledge about properly setting a scope up for themselves. Two of the best combat scopes ever made both have the same issue, yet are still rated the best. Seems to me many simply listen to what their told or read lacking the simple skill of setting up a scope for themselves.

I’ll be honest I spent some money buying different mounts with different heights, risers, moving the scope forward or backwards, once I found what works for me I’ll never sell my ACOGs or NX8’s.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Did you misunderstand what I said? Think about what I posted, I gave a perfect example. It really is simple and if your missing what I’m saying you don’t understand setting up a scope properly for you. It sounds like your mind was made up from what others post and their lack knowledge about properly setting a scope up for themselves. Two of the best combat scopes ever made both have the same issue, yet are still rated the best. Seems to me many simply listen to what their told or read lacking the simple skill of setting up a scope for themselves.

I’ll be honest I spent some money buying different mounts with different heights, risers, moving the scope forward or backwards, once I found what works for me I’ll never sell my ACOGs or NX8’s.
View Quote

I am not understanding what you are saying, and you are not understanding what I am saying.

For me it was the opposite.  I bought one because I thought they looked cool and sounded good on the internet, but then the reality of shooting with one caused it to be shelved and eventually sold.
The TA31 in particular, I can't move it far back enough with any mount I've ever seen to make it work for me.
Even if I could make it work with a nominal/perfect head position, the total size of the eye box is not something I'm going to deal with when literally anything else is easier to use and more forgiving.

TA11 is a little better, but still not good.  It will be my next optic sold once I get tired of looking at on the shelf.

For those that like them, more power to you.  My advice is still try before you buy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd only use a TA31 if I was issued one and couldn't put my own optic on. I even bought one from a buddy years back for a phenomenal price, sold it about a month later.

The eye relief sucks, plain and simple. If you shoot NTCH, then you'll love it, the weight savings, and the image. Otherwise, I've been running a Razor Gen2E on my 11.5 for a while, and the lightness of the rifle offsets the heft of the scope/mount, and I get to enjoy great glass, great eye relief, and an extremely good 1x, and a great 6x.

If weight is an issue, look at the new PLx Novas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd recommend you try an ACOG before you sell the Razor. That's the route I went and found I liked it considerably more than an LPVO for how I used the rifles that had LPVOs on them. Your experience may be different.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#22]

I am not understanding what you are saying, and you are not understanding what I am saying.

For me it was the opposite.  I bought one because I thought they looked cool and sounded good on the internet, but then the reality of shooting with one caused it to be shelved and eventually sold.
The TA31 in particular, I can't move it far back enough with any mount I've ever seen to make it work for me.
Even if I could make it work with a nominal/perfect head position, the total size of the eye box is not something I'm going to deal with when literally anything else is easier to use and more forgiving.

TA11 is a little better, but still not good.  It will be my next optic sold once I get tired of looking at on the shelf.

For those that like them, more power to you.  My advice is still try before you buy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What I am saying is the eye box is not bad if you know how to set up a scope. They make other mounts that allow you to move the location around.  It is no difference than a NX8, you can read all sorts of users claiming the eye box is bad, but if you know how to set up a scope you know it means more than just a set of rings, there are different heights, the are mounts that allow you to move if further forward or back. ACOGs are popular because they flat out work and are durable, more than a LPVO.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top